- +

Author Topic: Web design! D:  (Read 16236 times)

Offline churnworks

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Web design! D:
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »
I suppose the design could be better, but slick design basically encourages people to get in and out fast, and that's not really what the site is about. Search works, the design encourages people to stop and take a look around, and all in all it rewards a more leisurely approach.

More to the point, it feels like a family. Today, for example, I was pleased to be greeted by the Christmas banner, which I'm quite fond of.

Could there be more ways to present the site? Certainly. But they're not priorities to me. I'm just happy the site is here, and that people are willing to put in time and effort to maintain it ... and to add new scans and new comics on a regular basis, which is after all what a "Digital Comic Museum" should do!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
Now that sounds good!  Welcome.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 10:32:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words CW and the Christmas banner is my favourite banner so far as well.
:D

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I am glad to see a post like this actually to get some discussion on the subject.

As someone mentioned above all the staff here work in their spare time and I am the one who is in charge of the servers and code. I have been missing in action a lot recently and when I do start working on something it seems to get overly too big and then either I get caught up with real life again or as happened last time my PC played up and I lost lot of my extra feature code.

Anyway, if anyone has ideas we are always open to them. Have a design concept you want to mock up quickly in Photoshop/paint/pen and paper? Want to try help out with the actual web design / coding side? Then please get in touch with me and we can see where it goes. We will pay you the going rate of $0 per hour and bonuses of hugs.

Anyway, I am determined 2015 will see more moving forward for DCM. I have finally done my 2nd house move in less than 14 months so now I am settled and live closer to work etc so got more spare time :-D

Offline churnworks

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:52:09 AM »
Real life gets in the way -- I chuckle at Captain DJ's bon mot, because as we all know, real life is malign and at the very least sticks out a leg in your path when you're running to catch a train.

That said, I will slip out from the anonymity of my day job -- which is coding sites, and documenting what I did -- and commit to outlining some small project this year that might help the "look and feel" of DCM. (I'm still working on a couple of what I hope will be helpful databases that will provide additional information without duplicating the robust data on GCD -- but that project may take a lo-o-o-o-ng time!)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
Ohhh, sounds interesting!  Please feel free to contact CaptDJ and myself directly with a Private Message when you feel ready to talk about your ideas CW.
We are working towards adding GCD data atm.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 07:17:15 AM »
Hats off to you coding masters!
Happy new year and good luck for any upcoming projects in 2015.
We all super-appreciate what you are doing.
No one is rushing you.
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.