- +

Author Topic: The Golden Dames Project  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: The Golden Dames Project
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply as well Jim.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »

Offline JGray

• DCM Member
    • The Golden Dames Project
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
Commentary on Torchy Brown, From Dixie to Harlem. Strips from Nov 13 and 20, 1937

The next Golden Dame to be spotlighted is Torchy Brown and she represents many important firsts. Torchy Brown is the first comic strip character spotlighted here on the Golden Dames Project. She's also the first character a reader specifically requested.

More importantly, Torchy Brown is the first known African-American woman to headline her own comic strip and her adventures were written and illustrated by Jackie Ormes (credited in these comic strips as Zelda Jackson Ormes), the first publicly known female, African-American cartoonist.
Torchy Brown in From Dixie to Harlem ran in the Pittsburgh Courier, a weekly African-American newspaper from May 8, 1937 to April 30, 1938. The Courier published a total of 53 Torchy Brown strips during that time. The strip chronicled the adventures of Torchy Brown as she moved from the deep south to Harlem in New York City. In Harlem she gained employment as a performer at the legendary Cotton Club, a whites only nightclub that featured primarily African-American entertainers.

In 1937 Torchy Brown was something of a revolution, both as a woman and a person of color. Torchy was clever, outspoken and wouldn't take no for an answer. In a time when women and people of color were generally only in comic strips as stereotypes Torchy was a career woman out to conquer the world with intelligence, charm and one hell of a fashion sense.

From Harlem to Dixie ended in 1938 on something of a cliffhanger that was never resolved. Ms. Ormes wasn't done with Torchy Brown, however. The character would be revived for a new, full color comic strip in 1950 entitled Torchy in Heartbeats.

The two Torchy Brown strips presented today originally ran on the 13th and 20th of November, 1937. They chronicle Torchy's adventure as she gets her first job at the Cotton Club.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
A good start on Torchy J.
Thanks for the transcript - it saved my eyes some work.
Omes has a nice GGA style to her.  It would be fun to see a picture of her someday.
Looking forward to seeing more.

-Yoc

Offline JGray

• DCM Member
    • The Golden Dames Project
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 06:12:31 AM »
Yoc - Thanks! And thanks for commenting over on the site, too. Every webcomicker lives for comments on their work.

Commentary on Torchy Brown, From Dixie to Harlem. Strips from Nov 27 and Dec 4, 1937

Jackie Ormes

Zelda Mavin Jackson, the woman who would eventually be known as Jackie Ormes, was born in 1911. She began her career at the Pittsburgh Courier, a prominent African-American newspaper and, in 1937 convinced the paper's editor to take a chance on her idea for a comic strip, the first the paper would run. From Dixie to Harlem was a success and by the end of 1937 the Courier carried several comic strips.

From Dixie to Harlem ran for roughly a year and represented Ms. Ormes first foray into cartooning but not her last. In 1942 she worked for the Chicago Defender as a writer and a cartoonist, creating a single panel comic called Candy about a beautiful and sarcastic housemaid.
In 1945, Ms. Ormes went back to work for the Courier. Her new comic was called Patty-Jo 'n' Ginger. It was a single panel comic about a fashionable young woman and her insightful and precocious little sister. Patty-Jo 'n' Ginger served as offered sly, biting commentary on the politics of the day, racial and otherwise. Patty-Jo 'n' Ginger ran for eleven years.

In 1947, Ms. Ormes contracted the Terri Lee doll company to create the Patty-Jo doll. Tired of black dolls that were nothing more than offensive racial stereotypes, Ms. Ormes created the Patty-Jo doll with an extensive fashion line. The doll was something young, African-American girls could play with that looked like them. The doll was on the market until 1949 and today is considered a highly valuable collector's item. An original Patty-Jo doll can sell for around a thousand dollars at auction.

In 1950 the Pittsburgh Courier added a full-color comic page insert. Once again, Torchy Brown became a leading character for the paper. The new comic, Torchy in Heartbeats, reimagined Torchy as an independent career woman in the mold of Dixie Dugan and Brenda Starr. Torchy's last adventure saw her fighting against racism and pollution with the help of her boyfriend.

Ms. Ormes retired from cartooning due to arthritis but stayed active in her community. She was a founding member of the board of the DuSable Museum of African American History and produced fundraising fashion shows to benefit local charities in Chicago. She died in 1985.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:43:53 AM by Yoc »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
What a wonderful write up on Ormes J!
No luck with pictures?

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 02:11:51 AM »
I heard from Robert Barrett a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to report back. I've been busy launching my Kickstarter Campaign for the thirteenth issue of my art magazine, ImageS (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1694106638/images-magazine-13-the-golden-glory-of-the-art-i-l.

The GCD credits are definitely CORRECT. Chester Martin IS the artist on the first installments of Futura. He is introduced by name as a cover artist in Planet Stories Pulp and signs some interior illustrations as well. There is NO DOUBT. What IS in doubt is whether the "Chet Martin" at Iger in 1952 is the same person.

I haven't looked at the ONE credit I have for Chet Martin in 1952 in decades, but I will do so when I return to Palo Alto next week. It may take another two weeks to get back to you, but I'll do my best to help sort this out once and for all. I apologize for the confusion, especially since Bob reminds me that he and I had this same conversation once before. My memory certainly isn't what it used to be. I hate to be the one who sows confusion in my wake. I'd much rather restore order and bestow knowledge as I go - especially when I have had that knowledge in the past.

More when I acquire it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Thanks Jim and good luck with the Kickstarter!

Offline darci

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
Anybody know what happened to the Golden Dames Project?  I haven't seen an update in over a year.
Thanks!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »
Nope,
J made a great start on his blog.  I loved the last entry on Torchy Brown!  I hope he is well.

-Yoc