- +

Author Topic: Creating Two New Comic Book Fans (Using The Digital Comic Museum)  (Read 5048 times)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: Creating Two New Comic Book Fans (Using The Digital Comic Museum)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
... I can do WHATEVER I want to the art I scan because I'm not changing the 'original'...

To which I would just add one caveat... as long as you make some attempt at noting that there was an "original" from which some of your work was inspired... not a problem with you Jim, since I believe your work is just this.  I just mention it here for completeness.

MOST absolutely, DL. Credit always to the source and then you get to have your way with the copy.

And I also very much agree with you, Yoc, that good results from jpegs of jpegs are extremely problematical, but that should be diablo666's worry, not the first scanner's. It's a matter of what's right, not what's likely to produce the most effective results.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »
What are the good GGA series in Wings?

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »
Jane Martin is the only GGA feature early in Wings (some of that might not qualify). There is a lot of war stories early on without GGA (some do). That picks up at the end of the war in the various features, but it really isn't uniform in the runs.

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
Other than Sky Girl, Canteen Kate, Phantom Lady and Torchy, any other outstanding GGA series?

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
Sheena (own series and Jumbo), Firehair (own series and Ranger), Senorita Rio (Fight), most Planet Comic stories, Werewolf Hunter, Glory Forbes (both Ranger Comics), Judy of the Jungle (later Exciting) Princess Pantha (later Thrilling)

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Black Venus and Golden Eagle for starters.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
Black Cat, Black Orchid could not keep her clothes on. The last two appearances of Will O the Wisp in Key Comics 4 and 5 would definitely qualify. Of course there are several TEEN comics like Hickory, etc with GGA.

Offline profpike

• DCM Member
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. Interesting thread. I like Golden Age stories because they are often tightly written, fun narratives, if a bit silly sometimes.

The art is, at times, nothing short of amazing considering the amount of work people had to do. I sometimes wonder how people came up with some of the concepts they did, when there were fewer templates do draw from.

i do find some of the casual racism to be a bit of a bother. This is interesting when you consider that many of the early creators were Jews and Italians and discriminated against themselves.

I saw my first JSA story in the 70s and never looked back in my plunge into the Golden Age.

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
I had already checked out Sheena, Firehair and Black Orchid. The art seems a bit crude to me, frankly. But when you start your GGA experience with Matt Baker (Phantom Lady, Sky Girl, Canteen Kate, and then Bill Ward (Torchy), you're going to wind up with some pretty high standards for your Good Girl Art.