- +

Author Topic: Text Pieces  (Read 924 times)

Offline profpike

• DCM Member
Text Pieces
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »
They had to have them to meet postal regulations. Anyone here besides me ever read them? Are they PD? has anyone ever collected them (I know the answer to the last one). Whenever I get a complete GA comic, I read everything, even the text piece.

Digital Comic Museum

Text Pieces
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:29:49 AM »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Re: Text Pieces
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »
If the text piece is in a book that's not under copyright, they're PD as well.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
I alway read the two-page text stories in my beloved pre-code horror books.
Sometimes they make for better stories than the comics.
I pointed out some cases when a company offered mainly inane and boring comics:
http://highest-standard.de/adventures-into-darkness
So that's my two cents.
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline Drahken

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
I always just found the text stories annoying as a kid, I always thought "wtf is this crap?! Don't these morons understand the fundamental concept of a COMIC book??" They don't annoy me like that these days (especially since I finally know WHY they were there), but I still just skip over them. I think I've only read about 3 of those text stories in my entire life.
That being said though, it might be fun if someone assembled a book of related text stories & presented it similar to a children's storybook.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »
Harvey, Timely and Lev Gleason would have some text stories about heroes in the book.  "The story behind the cover' was a great idea to get people to read the text stories.  But yeah, a lot of them are pretty much filler.

Offline WBob

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Super Donor!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
I fail to appreciate the text pieces, although one will occasionally catch my eye.  "Limpy" from Blue Beetle 17 is perfect; I've sent it to friends.  If I’d read that story in the ‘90s I’d have called it as antiquated as Dickens, but now sadly it strikes too many familiar chords.
 "Big Muddy" from Four Favorites 21 has a ton of info on steam boat industry on the Missouri, I sent it to all my friends who are into rivers, boats, or transportation.
Also get a kick out of the ones in Better/Nedor where the young man or women uses their hobby and head to thwart crooks or solve a crisis, there must be 100 with the same plot, but different settings/devices (like the A-Team!). Five of them really stood out and I set them aside in a file, but didn’t note which comic they appear, someplace in Exciting, Startling, or Thrilling, etc:
Movie Fan: Buster Clark’s Cleverness Proves a Bit Too Much for a Tough Pair of Holdup Men!
Timber Cruiser: Joe Kelly Helps His Dad in an Emergency
Stamp Collector: Young Ralph Conroy Proves His Cleverness When a Guilty Schemer Attempts a Fraud!
Subway Cowboy: A City Lad Proves that He Knows a Trick or Two Used in the Open Spaces of the West?
Lucy’s Knitting: A Brave Girl Faces Peril in the Hands of Kidnapers!