- +

Author Topic: New Comic Art featuring Heroes of the Past  (Read 3713 times)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: New Comic Art featuring Heroes of the Past
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
I have to admit that Cat Man is definitely in a class of his own, here.  It's hard to imagine any utility to dressing like an old woman, other than the "crazy cat lady" association, and certainly not with the zest he has in pulling the dress on, in the second story.  And then there's the fact that he's like thirty times the size of that dress, whereas I get queasy when my pants start getting a little tight...

But I also want to know what happens next.  That last panel reads like he's flirting with the half-naked woman he groped outside his window.  Given the sexual harassment, cross-dressing, implied murder at the hotel, and overall secrecy, that's a great cliffhanger!  Will she knee him in the groin while laughing at his advances or was she so damaged in childhood that she'll appreciate the attention?

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:05 AM »
Gives a whole new meaning to the name "Cat Man."  Just saying... :o
*snicker*

Quote from: Yoc
I was not aware of that SS.
Yeah, well, a minor, two-appearance, Centaur Comics character can slip under a lot of peoples radar. Madame Fatal, on the other hand, had a longer career and was from a higher profile, longer-lasting company.

Quote from: DamonO
I have to admit that Cat Man is definitely in a class of his own, here.
Yep! Then again comic creators were still figuring out what works and what doesn't work when it comes to comic heroes. The first story has a lot of rough edges, ex-con, revenge motive, murder, cross-dressing. The second story cleans it up a bit, now he's helping someone else and going after the bad guy for a more noble purpose. Had he continued would he have continued using poison or would he switch to a knock-out drug? Would he have gotten a colorful costume? Would he have cut down on the cross-dressing? We'll never know.

Quote from: DamonO
Given the sexual harassment
I think that was considered "normal" for the time. I think it only became "sexual harrassment" in the 1980s.  ;)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 04:47:42 AM »
I think that was considered "normal" for the time. I think it only became "sexual harrassment" in the 1980s.  ;)

True, the term is new, but I can't think of an era where it was normal to drag a half-naked woman into a motel room against her will.  Well, other than politicians and rich businessmen, who often still seem to think these sorts of things are OK, but that's neither here nor there.

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 01:05:14 AM »
Well, she was crawling down the side of a building with a makeshift rope, not walking down the hallway so there was a safety concern to getting her inside.

As for the "sexual harassment" I reread the scene and he says, "Here, here! Young lady, you can't go out on a night like this,--dressed like that!" and "Just a minute, 'September Morn', suppose I get you a robe first!"
In some respects he comes off more as a father figure than a lustful male.

Of course the artist (& possibly the writer) was female artist Tarpé Mills.

Offline DamonO

• DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »
Another hero of the Golden Age returns as the dynamic Darryl Banks -- probably best known for his long stint drawing Green Lantern -- brings forth another emerald clad crusader for justice:  The Green Turtle!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=936143

Offline DamonO

• DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
And here's the latest by the great Darryl Banks, from the pages of Lev Gleason Publications' DAREDEVIL COMICS:  The Bronze Terror!

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryPiece.asp?Piece=1051557&GSub=0&GCat=9896&UCat=9896

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Great choices here Damon!
Very nice!  :D

Offline DamonO

• DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
Great choices here Damon!
Very nice!  :D

Thanks much, Yoc.  I first discovered both of those characters from coming here to DCM!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
Glad to hear it Damon.  There's just so many characters to discover.
Your Bronze Terror reminded me of Prize Western's 'American Eagle' done by the great John Severin and Bill Elder starting in #85 if you are interested.
Here's a link - http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=19219

-Yoc

Offline DamonO

• DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, Yoc.  American Eagle looks like a very intriguing character, and I'm going to check him out.  Interesting thing about Bronze Terror is that he looks like a western character when he actually fought crime in the modern day.  This America Eagle actually reminds me of Marvel's American Eagle character, who also wears a headdress and has a red, white and blue color scheme.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »
Yeah, I've always though the same about Marvel's AE version.  They would have done much better using the Bronze Terror.

Offline DamonO

• DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
One of my current series of themed commissions is entitled "Juggernaut's Tour of the Multiverse," where I take Marvel's bad guy bruiser and have him encounter groups of heroes from different comic universes.  Here's my latest entry, where he pays a visit to the Project Superpowers Universe and meets those heroes transplanted from the Golden Age into the present.  Art is by the inimitable Steve Erwin, perhaps best known for his lengthy run on DC's "Deathstroke" and "Checkmate" titles.  So, without further adieu:

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »
Cool.

One of my current series of themed commissions is entitled "Juggernaut's Tour of the Multiverse," where I take Marvel's bad guy bruiser and have him encounter groups of heroes from different comic universes.  Here's my latest entry, where he pays a visit to the Project Superpowers Universe and meets those heroes transplanted from the Golden Age into the present.  Art is by the inimitable Steve Erwin, perhaps best known for his lengthy run on DC's "Deathstroke" and "Checkmate" titles.  So, without further adieu:

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »
Yes very cool in deed!  :)

But Damon, please upload jpgs if possible.
Thanks.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »
Absolutely very cool