- +

Author Topic: Green Lantern movie - thoughts?  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Green Lantern movie - thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
Hi Roy,
I love your idea for general movie structure!
Capt should have started with a beat down on some Hydra agents and Iron Man MUST meet MODOK someday.
Now that would be a visual!  :)

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »
Definitely the best movie idea I've heard in years.  Henceforth, when I talk about it, it shall be MY idea.  Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!

Ahem.

But yeah, it's weird that nobody in Hollywood has figured out that nobody's origin is an entertaining story, and certainly isn't exciting enough to draw the audience in.  I mean, I love "Superman: The Movie" to this day (and it's probably the only superhero movie I've seen that I genuinely thought worked, though as a disclaimer, I haven't watched any of the recent upsurge because their previews all looked terrible), even the scenes on Krypton, but holy crap, that's a boring half-a-movie.

Offline Greekcarrot

• DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
I do not think that the problem of superhero movies is actually based on the "origin" retelling. I think it makes sense because these movies are made to be seen by people who do not read comics and don't have any info on the characters. Iron man was awesome despite being an origin movie and the Cap movie was amazing in setting the character as a normal boy becoming a superhero but maintaing his "small guy with wit" attitude.

What I do want to see in a superhero movie is something I want to see in movies in general. Focus and clarity of ideas. My fan self used to think of ultra cool stuff to be seen in movies like I, don't know a superman-batman family feud a-la-70's worlds' finest where everybody makes teams of 3-4 characters and then clash. But nowadays I want to see movies that have a direction by people who understand how to make superheroes look unique and relevant. Maybe that's harder to see that 3d effects nowadays, we always need what we can't find, in the end. Marvel is a lot better than DC in doing this because they seem to believe more in their characters. Green Lantern for example was written in a cliched way that you're supposed to "like" but that made it irrelevant he could have been the red mosquito for all I cared... I did not like the latest Superman because the plot made almost no sense and there where too many distractions in the movie itself (Kevin Spacey, supe's son, his mission to find planet Crypton etc). Marvel has found a way to make movies out of their books (even with the obvious stinkers like "Ghostrider" and "Fantastic Four"), I only hope the new spider-man movie works because I really like Gwen and the trailers I've seen so far...

Offline Blue Beetle

• DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »
I liked the GL movie. It had some weird parts, but overall enjoyable. That said, I did not like the casting of Ryan Reynolds as Hal or the woman who played Carrol Ferris (I can't remember the actress's name). I don't think they were horrible actors, but they just didn't have the look of the characters, or portray them very well (although that was probably the script's fault). I've always liked Hal (although I like Alan Scott and Guy Gardner better when it comes to my favorite GL) but Reynolds played him as too much of an arrogant pretty boy, which seems to be a character Reynolds usually plas. Now, Hal has definately been an arrogant guy, but I never got the feeling that he spent hours looking at himself in the mirror, a vibe which Reynolds seemed to give off.

Still, like I said, I enjoyed it. Sinestro was played well, and I actually thought the CG for Kilowag and Tomar Re looked cool. Its not a great superhero movie, but it was ok, and definately better than some.

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »

...  I remember now that I saw the 1st. Superman and the 1st. Batman movies and enjoyed bits here and there.  Neither of them compared well with the 1st. Spider serial or Captain Marvel or The Black Commando serial The Secret Code, or King of the Rocketmen.
Only my grumpy old man opinion.

You know, Paw, I still have to see a super-hero movie which I enjoy as much as "The Adventures of Captain Marvel" serial. The only super-hero movies I've liked (I've seen more than I should with the hope that one of them might get it right) are : "The Shadow" (which was a nice pasitiche of the character from all of the mediums in which he had appeared), "The Phantom" (which was simply good fun), "Mystery Men" (the inevitable parody which spoofed not only movie interpretations of comic book heroes but also most conventions of the genre from comics and movies), and "Iron Man" simply because Robert Downey Jr. was able to carry the movie despite a number of slow sequences and boring special effects. My second favorite Super-hero film is Donner's original "Superman" film which just barely beats out the first Batman movie serial.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:44:53 PM by Yoc »

Offline Rajah

• DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
I enjoyed Green Lantern but it definitely had some flaws. I felt like it jumped around too much between Earth, Oa, space, the government, etc. It also tried to squeeze too many things into one movie, a frequent problem with superhero films. Sinestro was there but did little other than make impassioned speeches. The Corps was there but few of them were developed beyond generic faces in the crowd. I was also not a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds. I still feel Nathan Fillion would have been a better Green Lantern (the fan trailer and animated movies attest to that).

It wasn't horrible though. I loved seeing these characters on the big screen. Other than the tweaks to Parallax, it stayed fairly true to the comics. The effects looked amazing. Overall, it was an enjoyable but flawed ride. Not nearly as bad as the critics claimed but a far cry from what this GL fan was hoping for.
- Eric
Click here for the latest chapter of my Rowena tales in AC Comics' Femforce.

Offline tbdeinc

• Creator of Original Content
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Super Donor!
    • http://www.georgepetergatsis.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
One of the worst movies ever...

The "moneyshot" of OA came early in the movie... after that, it was just boring...

GPG