developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Art Spotting in general  (Read 24129 times)

Offline fan777 (RIP)

• Sadly passed in May, 2015. R.I.P.
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Art Spotting in general
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
I'm glad we're working on this topic. I've been fascinated with the Iger studio for awhile and all the question marks in the Grand Comic Database.  It seems like Mr Iger encouraged his staff to copy or trace the styles of the better artists adding a mass of confusion as to who did what or what part of the panel was done by whom.  For me, I'm focusing on Maurice Whitman who worked for 10 years at Iger doing a variety of characters and covers.  An old index by Al Dellinges with Henry Steele gave most of the credit for the Jungle covers between 132 and 163 to Whitman. This has been disputed by Jim V.  I've put together a publication of covers and splashs so that I can flip back and forth between images. Any strong evidence as to which of these covers Mr Whitman made a strong contribution to would be helpful as I present my case to Jim. I've also got a run of Alter Egos to plow thru for data.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »
I agree with you regarding #s 1 & 2, bchat,
but I was hoping for #3 - a place where one could go to find out who drew a story.
I guess I don't understand the benefit of someone studying, say, the work of Gene Colan to learn how to identify it. After all these years, how many undiscovered Gene Colan stories are there? So, yes, you could assemble scads of Colan samples and hope that someone would study them and learn what makes a Colan story. And then what?

MAYBE that will translate into a "lesson" that will eventually develop into a class on Art Spotting, but I don't see it happening. It SHOULD be happening. More people should be learning the skill/art since there has never been a time when MORE comic samples have been so easily available. Yet it's hard to name more than a couple of people who have contributed to sorting out Golden Age artist credits - and most of them were doing it long before GAC or DCM came along. What new Art Spotters have developed? And how do we make that happen?

My experience, and I can only speak for myself, is that if you've got the art spotter's gene then all you need to do is memorize the names of the different styles. If I wanted to teach you what Clem Weisbecker or Sam Glankoff or Barbara Hall looked like, yes, I could give you a bunch of scans with their names on them and, if you had the gene, that would be enough. The next time you saw a Glankoff story, you'd know it was him. If you didn't have the gene, you probably wouldn't know. Me, I have half of the gene. I look at a Glankoff story and say, "Yeah, I KNOW that guy. He worked at Parents doing True Comics." Then I go and look through my True Comics index cards that I did with Hames Ware and as soon as I see Glankoff's name, I know who it is. There's the memory component of the connection with Parents that leads me to the answer. Perhaps others can make the direct connection. I seldom can.

I will only say that I prefer to see a full story. Splash pages and covers are often atypical when it comes to style (and are easily copied). I need to see the mundane work, the average efforts, not those meant to impress. That's where the real artist comes out, in my mind. It's the general crowds or the secondary characters for me - the one's that don't have stylesheets that might make it difficult to tell when one artist replaces another. The characters that don't require thought are more indicative of style. Just as the way a panel is laid out and the characters positions in that panel is more indicative to me than the contrivance of a cover.

Showing a bunch of samples of a bunch of artists certainly can help (and definitely can't hurt) those looking to develop the skill of identifying unsigned comic book stories. But I don't see it as how the next generation of spotters is going to emerge. I believe that once someone finds that they have the skill, they'll find someone who knows more than they do and apprentice themselves to him. Before that, they are likely to refer to GCD to see who they think the artist might be, adding that name/style to their repertoire. Again, that is my experience. You either have it or you don't. You can learn more names but the "HOW" is in the genes. I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

"disputed" is a strong word, fan777. Until I have studied the covers noted, I can only say that I question the blanket attribution to Whitman.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
I have put a message out there inviting the experts that populate the Timely-Atlas-Comics Yahoo group run by DocV.  A more knowledgeable group would be hard to find.

If Henry or Narf would let the GCD gang know about here it would be appreciated.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
Take this with an obvious grain of salt, Jim, since I have only the vaguest interest in the art side of things, but it seems to me that a lot of the process of any skill is actually just exercise.  It might not be "productive to the cause" to have someone who can spot Gene Colan, but there's no chance (to use myself as a guinea pig) I'm going to look at someone's unknown page and see it without getting used to what to look for with regard to an artist that can be easily verified.  Bumbling around on my own, I don't know from line weights or composition.  I'm lucky if I can name a dozen colors...

Organization like is being suggested, I think, helps someone interested see past the content of the art and to the artist behind it.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »
Let's continue to hope that you're right and I'm wrong, John.
I would very much prefer it your way. It's just that I've had no experience of that happening.

(|:{>

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
More people should be learning the skill/art since there has never been a time when MORE comic samples have been so easily available. Yet it's hard to name more than a couple of people who have contributed to sorting out Golden Age artist credits - and most of them were doing it long before GAC or DCM came along. What new Art Spotters have developed?

At 28 years old, I feel safe in saying that I AM the next generation of spotter. I think the internet, particularly sites like GAC and DCM are starting to grow new interest in the Golden Age. There is also a Golden Age of reprints emerging that is bringing this material to new light. Just 10-15 years ago who would have thought that there would be reprints of work by Fletcher Hanks, Dick Briefer, Boody Rogers, etc. Yeah, it’s still a niche market, and probably always will be, but I think the niche is growing. As people discover these treasures, I think more are going to want to learn about the men who created them. I know I sure did, and do.

Yes it takes a certain type of person to become a spotter, but it also takes a certain type of person to have the patience and drive to scan 68 pages of 60-70 year old newsprint, and we’ve assembled a community of such folks who have scanned thousands of books! I see no reason why a few new spotters couldn’t emerge. They just need a place to start.

-Eric

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:34 PM »

At 28 years old, I feel safe in saying that I AM the next generation of spotter. I think the internet, particularly sites like GAC and DCM are starting to grow new interest in the Golden Age. There is also a Golden Age of reprints emerging that is bringing this material to new light. Just 10-15 years ago who would have thought that there would be reprints of work by Fletcher Hanks, Dick Briefer, Boody Rogers, etc. Yeah, it’s still a niche market, and probably always will be, but I think the niche is growing. As people discover these treasures, I think more are going to want to learn about the men who created them. I know I sure did, and do.

Yes it takes a certain type of person to become a spotter, but it also takes a certain type of person to have the patience and drive to scan 68 pages of 60-70 year old newsprint, and we’ve assembled a community of such folks who have scanned thousands of books! I see no reason why a few new spotters couldn’t emerge. They just need a place to start.

-Eric

As my maternal grandmother used to say, Eric,
"From your mouth to God's ear."

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »
Bravo again to our "young one", scra1941!
 :-*
It's the same with me, though I am 20 years older.
I got the hots for art spotting just two years ago.
Then I got into pre-code horror, joined DCM, met Jim V. here, scanned a batch of his books, learned from him to spot some artists -
and currently I am indexing all of ACEs horror books, deleting hundreds and hundreds of question marks.
Makes me feel proud.
We can be pioneers. Thanks to the internet, the knowledge is actually growing.
So everybody grab a scanner and get those pictures up!
And it is more than amazing what GCD and DCM are accomplishing.
A new and truly international movement of art lovers is forming.
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
I'm learning a *little* (and that word can't be emphasized enough) about identifying some GA writers from associating with Martin O'Hearn.  Unfortunately, I've got a long ways to go, but I have learned some writers' traits enough to be able to credit them with a "?" in the GCD, and that's a start.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Spotting writers always seems so much more daunting to me although I have learned a "little" also from people like Frank Young.

Best

Joe

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
I only got a small fraction of art spotter gene. A few will jump out but not a lot. I think that looking at large samples of a few particular artists at a time may be a way to get good at spotting those artists. Once you get one done really well maybe move on to another. Sometimes the "I have seen that scene before" will hit me. The problem is remembering where it was seen before.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
I guess I don't understand the benefit of someone studying, say, the work of Gene Colan to learn how to identify it. After all these years, how many undiscovered Gene Colan stories are there? So, yes, you could assemble scads of Colan samples and hope that someone would study them and learn what makes a Colan story. And then what?

As I see it, an "Artist Identification File" would be a teaching tool, showing the techniques and general approach a certain artist took while generating images/pages.  Someone who wants to learn how to "art spot" needs a starting point, something that's already been identified that they can look at and, with a little effort, understand what other people are looking at when trying to determine who drew an uncredited story.

It's not about identifying "undiscovered stories" from any specific artist, it is about teaching people the ways they can go about identifying an uncredited story.  An "Artist Identification File" could also be used to show how any given artist developed over time.  The artwork of John Giunta in 1941 looks different than his work in 1944-45, which is different than the work he did in 1950.  Even in Fletcher Hanks' brief career, his style changed from his first story to his last.

I will only say that I prefer to see a full story. Splash pages and covers are often atypical when it comes to style (and are easily copied). I need to see the mundane work, the average efforts, not those meant to impress. That's where the real artist comes out, in my mind. It's the general crowds or the secondary characters for me - the one's that don't have stylesheets that might make it difficult to tell when one artist replaces another. The characters that don't require thought are more indicative of style. Just as the way a panel is laid out and the characters positions in that panel is more indicative to me than the contrivance of a cover.

That's why I said that an  "Artist Identification File" should include examples of "Splash pages, covers, page layouts, figure drawing, backgrounds and inking."  I don't feel anyone needs an entire story to see how an artist lays-out their pages, and there's more than a few covers that are unsigned and may need identification.  When I put "backgrounds" into my statement, I was specifically thinking of Fletcher Hanks.  Every person "out there on the internet" who has blasted the guy, calling his work "so bad it's good" has only shown me that they focus solely on the figure drawing he did for his lead characters, and totally ignored the (in my opinion) wonderful backgrounds he would draw (mostly in his early work).

My experience, and I can only speak for myself, is that if you've got the art spotter's gene then all you need to do is memorize the names of the different styles. If I wanted to teach you what Clem Weisbecker or Sam Glankoff or Barbara Hall looked like, yes, I could give you a bunch of scans with their names on them and, if you had the gene, that would be enough. The next time you saw a Glankoff story, you'd know it was him. If you didn't have the gene, you probably wouldn't know. Me, I have half of the gene. I look at a Glankoff story and say, "Yeah, I KNOW that guy. He worked at Parents doing True Comics." Then I go and look through my True Comics index cards that I did with Hames Ware and as soon as I see Glankoff's name, I know who it is. There's the memory component of the connection with Parents that leads me to the answer. Perhaps others can make the direct connection. I seldom can.

Showing a bunch of samples of a bunch of artists certainly can help (and definitely can't hurt) those looking to develop the skill of identifying unsigned comic book stories. But I don't see it as how the next generation of spotters is going to emerge. I believe that once someone finds that they have the skill, they'll find someone who knows more than they do and apprentice themselves to him. Before that, they are likely to refer to GCD to see who they think the artist might be, adding that name/style to their repertoire. Again, that is my experience. You either have it or you don't. You can learn more names but the "HOW" is in the genes. I would LOVE to be proved wrong.

I don't agree that "art spotting" is a special skill that only a select few have.  Anyone can learn how to do it as long as they have the patience & motivation to learn how.  Having something along the lines of an "Artist Identification File" (or a blog or other site that teaches how to do this) can only make it easier for them to learn how to go about it and what to look for.

I agree that quite a bit of memory is involved, but if someone has the desire to learn and is properly motivated, then they can learn how to identify (or least voice their opinion on) an uncredited story.  If a person can tell the difference between a circle and a square, then they can learn, over time, how to tell the difference between one artist and another.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
I'm learning a *little* (and that word can't be emphasized enough) about identifying some GA writers from associating with Martin O'Hearn.  Unfortunately, I've got a long ways to go, but I have learned some writers' traits enough to be able to credit them with a "?" in the GCD, and that's a start.

I am completely in AWE of anyone who can figure out who WROTE these things. Keep it up, DM.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
I agree that quite a bit of memory is involved, but if someone has the desire to learn and is properly motivated, then they can learn how to identify (or least voice their opinion on) an uncredited story.  If a person can tell the difference between a circle and a square, then they can learn, over time, how to tell the difference between one artist and another.

I would LOVE for you to be right, bchat. I rarely see any evidence of it. When I met Tilliban, he was already extrapolating the few Ace artists I'd identified for him into naming or trying to name the artists on other books. After a few hours it became evident that he didn't need me for anything except putting a name to a style. So there's the exception that proves the rule. Keep it up, Tillman!

I've been doing that for decades for all kinds of people in all kinds of venues, but I've yet to have someone tell me that my IDing, say, Warren Kremer on an Ace book has led to a mass of entries on GCD for other Kremer work in other issues or titles. It SHOULD! Studying a story by Kremer SHOULD lead to understanding his style (at least at that time) and to more attributions - IF you're right.

Go for the art files. I'd call them Art Sample Files, rather than Identification files, but that's a minor quibble of a preference. My goal would be to have people learn more and to add more positive IDs to the GCD. I truly hope that happens.

A question for anyone here who has info on what is going on behind the scenes at GCD: How many people are updating the artist IDs on pre-1960 comics? That would at least give us a base point from which we can gauge the impact of our experiment.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:56:06 PM by JVJ »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
Congrats to Tilliaban on being such a quick study!
Yes, I hope someone on the GCD staff lets them know we would welcome any artspotters to join us here.