Help and Support > Feedback and Suggestions

A couple of thoughts I had...

(1/5) > >>

srca1941:
I happened to think of a couple of things that could improve the site. One would probably be fairly easy to do, the other I'm not sure about, since I don't know how the site is coded.

1) A jump menu at the top of the home page for the different publishers. There are so many, it would make navigation easier than having to scroll all the way down the page. Likewise, there would be a return link from each publisher back to the top of the page.

2) A title sort to have a list of all of the titles represented on the site in alphabetical order, rather than by publisher. This is the one I think may be more difficult, but I'm sure people would find it useful. I know for myself, it would make things MUCH easier comparing my collection to what we have here to see what needs scanning. It may not be possible, or may be too difficult, but it's something I wanted to bring up to at least think about.

-Eric

Yoc:
Hi Eric,
A master list of all titles on the site is something we've had on our 'to-do' list for a while now though there are some bigger bugs that should take precedent. 

I very much like the 'jump menu' suggestions.  I'm not a programmer so I've no idea how hard it would be to add but the site has gotten big enough to make getting around a pain sometimes.

There's a lot on the plate on DCM atm so I can't say ya or nay to either of these suggestions but we appreciate them.  I'll post them in the Staff Room for CaptDJ.

Thanks!

-Yoc

srca1941:
Again, I don't know the structure of the site, but I would think anchors could be placed in the title or description areas of the publishers' information, and the jump menu could link to the anchors. If it could be done that way, it should be fairly easy to impliment. I know the content is dynamic, so I don't know if that would prohibit that method or not (I've never tried it with any of my sites), but it's a thought.

-Eric

Yoc:
Each publisher is given a 'number' Eric.  Archives/Collections being #1.  The 'Latest 300' error link happened because I uploaded that CMjr book to category '0' and there IS none so it broke the php listing.
This is what I gather from CaptDJ who is our resident code master.  Adding any new categories could possibly bugger your anchors idea no?

srca1941:
No, new categories wouldn't change anything. The anchor code would be put next to the publisher's name, and (using Ace as our example) would look like this (minus the asterisks which I’m adding so the board doesn’t read it as code):

<*a name="ace_comics" id="ace_comics"*><*/a*>Ace Comics

So you could name each publisher by its name, not a numeric value, and new categories wouldn't mess up anything.

The menu would link to Ace with this code:

<*a href="#ace_comics"*>Ace Comics<*/a*>

From my (limited) PHP experience, the home page is a separate template from the publisher records. The site’s PHP automatically populates the home page template with those records, so theoretically the anchor would exist for the link to point to, and all should work fine. But what SHOULD work doesn’t always. The idea also depends on if you can add html to the publisher records.

-Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version