developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Am I allowed to re-distribute the comics to the pubic domain?  (Read 2874 times)

Offline quickredfox

• DCM Member
Am I allowed to re-distribute the comics to the pubic domain?
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Once I have downloaded a comic from DCM, am I allowed to re-distribute on another website or blog?

Digital Comic Museum

Am I allowed to re-distribute the comics to the pubic domain?
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Am I allowed to re-distribute the comics to the pubic domain?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
Absolutely QRF.
Feel free, but please give the scanner/uploader credit if they are listed.  Without their scans we'd have nothing to share.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Am I allowed to re-distribute the comics to the pubic domain?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
Check your local laws if you're not in the United States, though.  Some countries don't acknowledge American copyrights at all, others don't have a concept of public domain.  In the latter case, the principle is that, if there's any value in a concept, then someone, somewhere, must own it.

If you're in the United States, though, or if your country applies a "shortest term" rule (that is, it's public domain if it's out of copyright in your country OR the country of origination), then you should be OK.

Lastly, if you have concerns about the legality, definitely double-check the copyrights on your own.  Finding something here, at Project Gutenberg, on the Internet Archive, or wherever else doesn't carry any legal weight, whereas documenting your own search will be helpful.