developed-responsibility
- +

Poll

What genre of golden age comic is your favorite?

Super Hero
15 (60%)
Funny Animal
0 (0%)
Mystery / Horror
3 (12%)
Science Fiction / Fantasy
6 (24%)
Romance
0 (0%)
Western
0 (0%)
Teenage (Archie type)
0 (0%)
Crime
0 (0%)
War
1 (4%)
Jungle
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: What kind of GA comic do you like best?  (Read 7309 times)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: What kind of GA comic do you like best?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
I never initially thought of comics as "pop culture", paw,
though they obviously ARE and WERE. I was primarily impressed by the way a well-told story (specifically Spider-Man #33) was able to tug at my emotions - and it WAS in the middle of an extended story line. There was a power of which I'd not considered the medium capable. That potential is VERY rarely achieved for me. Since I wasn't trying to "recapture" any youthful sentiments, my quest for older comics was based primarily on 20+ year old's "sensibilities" (I really didn't develop anything LIKE a sensibility until at least five years later). So, frankly, I find such things as Wayne Boring's Batman- to be, well, boring and uninspired. YMMV, and the beauty and grace of Neal Adams' art only rarely was paired with a worthy script, but he did seem to inspire the writers to greater efforts.

Perhaps, as an aside, it's worth speculating that writers seem willing to devote more energy and craft to their comic stories when they are certain that an especially good artist will illustrate them. If they know that the artist is capable of TELLING the story, they may just invest more effort into crafting a worthwhile tale - perhaps an explanation for the rise and success of the author/artist. Of course, there are exceptions, but I'll postulate the theory anyway.

I agree with your description of the faults of modern comics, but would contend that "paper and price" are essentially immaterial. If there is a great story with great art, I suggest that neither paper nor price would inhibit your (or my) purchase of it.

I'm more critical of things like CMJ and JSA. CMJ has a few beautifully drawn stories and then, to me, becomes terribly derivative and self-referential all too quickly. Too many Raboy-mimics, too soon, and not enough attention paid to the stories. Once I see what CAN be, it's hard to accept a slap-dash approximation. JSA was formulaic and cliche-ridden from the beginning with plug-in plots and only serviceable art. Nothing special - just one more routine by-the-numbers comic. Frankly, I want more for my entertainment time investment.

And ALL the things of our youth were "better", I maintain, simply because WE were more susceptible and less jaded. The first music you like "imprints" you with that connection and, since nothing else can be "first", your tastes are unlikely to change considerably. Other types, with some resonance with that first "love", can be appreciated, but they won't supplant that core imprint. NOTHING will ever replace the 1950s rock and roll I first heard in 1956 at 10 years old. The presence of record store that specializes in that and in '50s rockabilly right across the street from our apartment in Paris is so much "icing on the cake" to my appreciation and love for that city.

I've tried to watch the TV shows and movies of my youth and I find that I've moved far beyond them. They were then and this is now. Devoting any time at all to modern TV seems to get really old really fast. A friend of ours gave us a DVD of the first season of Desperate Housewives just after they were aired. We watched the first two. I watched the third. And then I simply didn't care enough any more. Same with various incarnations of Dr. Who. The last thing we did watch was both seasons of Life on Mars, but that was several years ago and only because a dear friend INSISTED. It was quite good, but didn't impel me to dip a toe further into the sea of series out there.

Someday I'll go into detail about why I'm ambivalent about most British and French comics. Suffice it to say that I find they have more in common with American newspaper strips than American comic books and that I consider those to be two entirely different media. Someday.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

ps. did I tell you that last year I bought the very FIRST Corto Maltese appearance at a book fair in Paris? It was in Sgt. Kirk Magazine #1. Also has a striking Arturo Del Castillo western in it.

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 09:17:03 AM »
Hmmmmm, lots to consider in your comments.  First, I love G.A. JSA because, when I was reading JLA way back, there was mention of other, older heroes who were in this strange JSA thingy and that fired my imagination. (That's the thing with obscure - the JSA was obscure, unknown in fact, to me) And it was not a letdown when they turned up.  So colourful, different powers and weaknesses, different costumes.  It was a while before I found reprints of the original JSA adventures and, no matter how you feel about them, for me, coming, as I said from a country where American comics were seriously rare prior to 1959, this was wonderful.  A whole new world of masked mystery men to explore.
Second, you're bang on re. Spidey 33 and I still experience a wee frisson when I see the cover or read the story.
Thirdly, price and paper.  My way round that, if a storyline turns out to tickle my fancy, is to await the tpb, which is usually less expensive but, admittedly, doesn't solve my problem with the paper.
Fourth, I've been imprecise again, I fear and should have said the Raboy CMJ. but while I'm here I should also admit to an enjoyment of Mr Scarlet
and many other Fawcett characters.
Music.  Despite growing up with 50's pap and then the revelation of British beat and my continuing love of the Stones, Small Faces, Johnny Kidd etc. from that period, it has not stopped me expanding my taste to encompass classical, lots of jazz, blues, some country  (Townes Van Zandt, anybody?) and I believe it is encumbent on all of us to attempt to expand our horizons and experiences, whether it be books, music, art, t.v., films, language and I am sure that is the case with all the enquiring minds on here.
Finally, your antipathy to French and British comics continues to surprise me despite your having gone into the matter a while ago.  Difficult for me to convince you of the error of your ways.  A lot of what was produced in Europe, as was the case in N. America, was not very good.  Poor art, silly stories and titles which came and went without notice for reasons too difficult to go into here.   There was also the good stuff.  And then the seriously high quality, top level, knock your socks off, just plain gorgeous strips.  I know you aren't keen on newspaper strips and I am. Be that as it may, the fact that our weekly anthologies ran 2,3,4 or 5 page strips each week was not much different from an American title with 3x 8 or 10 page stories every month, or 2 months. (Talking about 50's and 60's here.)  So, Eagle, with it's ground breaking offset printing on better quality stock with superb art from Frank Hampson and notable others, is simply about as good as it gets, anywhere.
Also, it is important to remember that a lot of British comics contained lots of humour strips.  Yes, I realise, humour doesn't travel well. But there are many cartoon/humour strips such as Baxendale's Bash St. Kids; Law's Dennis the Menace;  most all Billy Bunter; Harry Banger's Stoogie (who, later became a superhero, Superstooge) and too many more to mention, that were of a very high quality and entertained millions every week.  Different system, different culture and no less valuable and important for that.
Keep it up chaps, great exercise for an aging mind.
Forgot to say, enjoy Paris and you're a lucky sod.  I've seen that Sgt. Kirk at Angouleme, but don't have it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:21:04 AM by paw broon »
Stephen Montgomery

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 12:42:15 PM »
This will have to be fast and short, paw.
In NO order whatsoever (sorry)
1. I have NO antipathy towards EuroComics. I have an immense collection. I simply see them more as collected newspaper strips than comic books - as I said, a future topic wherein I will attempt to explain my perceived differences between the two and my fascination with one and just appreciation of the other. Much of what you point to in the British weeklies are much more comparable to US newspaper material. It simply does very little for me. Sorry.
2. I have many issues of Eagle with the Frank Bellamy strips and one thing I HATE about them is the reproduction. Sorry, but it's second rate for the era and third rate in the overall rank of print capabilities.
3. I love Jazz and some folk, some C/W, lots of show tunes and blues. But NONE of it hits home like the music I first fell in love with. That was my point. My iPod has 38000 songs on it and I generally appreciate most of it, but what I listen to most...
4. re "price and paper" - I wasn't referring to what might happen if something were to "strike your fancy" but rather what would happen if you found a true gem amongst the weekly dross.

Must run. Last minute orders to fill and comics to pack.

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
Personally I've always thought that comics are a bit like Jesuits: if they get to you when you're seven they'll have you for life! But the corollary of this is that if you're not exposed to them early enough you'll never really understand them - however much you may appreciate the craft and skill that went into their creation. In my opinion this is why so many Americans just don't 'get' old British weeklies such as Eagle, Valiant, Lion, Beano, Wham! etc. They never got the opportunity to grow up with them in the way that Paw and I did. Fortunately for us the converse didn't apply on this side of the Atlantic as US comic books suddenly became readily available in 1959 just in time to experience the blossoming Silver Age, even as our own comics responded to the lifting of post-war paper restrictions with an equal burst of creativity. In effect, our generation were able to become culturally multi-lingual by absorbing two very different traditions of comics at the same time.

In later years, as fans such as Alan Moore, Brian Bolland, Dave Gibbons, etc. began to enter the business themselves, this unique cross-pollination led inevitably to the creation of British comics such as 2000AD which successfully incorporated recognizable US ideas and techniques. Finally, during the so-called British Invasion of the 1980s, I'd argue that they were therefore able to play an important part in invigorating a line of American comics that had become increasingly moribund and incestuous.

Nowadays, of course, the British tradition has virtually died out, and all comics have become American comics...on either side of the pond!  :(

Incidentally, one thing I would take issue with Jim on is his low opinion of the colour reproduction in comics such as Eagle. Certainly they were quite crude at the beginning, and continued to have problems with tracking lines or poor registration - nothing is ever perfect - but I have yet to see anything produced during the same period, either from Europe or America, that was half as good. In fact, in the case of Frank Bellamy (who went out of his way to work with the printers so that his colours were always reproduced exactly how he wanted them), I'd go so far as to suggest that the results have never yet been equalled!

- Phil Rushton

« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:29:48 AM by philcom55 »

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Couldn't have put it better myself.  In fact, I didn't.
Stephen Montgomery

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
I may be mistaken, Phil,
and if I am I will certainly eat my words. BUT, when I return, I will scan some of the Bellamy pages from Eagle and some corresponding pages from Pilote of the same vintage and YOU decide which was best. Remind me, as seven weeks from now I will have forgotten.

ps. bonjour (or more aptly, bon soir right now) from Paris

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »
ps. the Jesuits did get me at 6, and I escaped!

(|:{>

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 03:07:16 PM »
Errr... You're not a homicidal, albino monk by any chance are you Jim?

Just what are you doing in Paris anyway...? :-\

- Phil Rushton

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »
The Jesuits didn't get me until I was 14; so I didn't really get caught.  Learned a lot from them, though.

Then again, the most memorable of my Jesuit teachers was actually, based on his extraordinary knowledge of the private lives of various noteworthy individuals throughout history and some other details, quite clearly an immortal who had changed identities multiple times throughout his long existence.  The only previous identity my fellow students and I were able to track down was Henry Cabot Lodge, however.

To this day, I'm only half-joking when I say that; it really does still seem like the explanation that best fits the facts as I knew them.  A wonderful, wonderful teacher.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »
Errr... You're not a homicidal, albino monk by any chance are you Jim?
Not when I last checked, Phil.
Just what are you doing in Paris anyway...? :-\

- Phil Rushton
Through an incredible set of manipulations of the Force, I LIVE here three months out of the year. This is my "six weeks in Fall" residence.

JVJ Publishing / Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.
125 rue Legendre / Paris 75017 France
Ph. 01 42 63 99 93 ou 06 80 96 46 79

jim@bpib.com   www.bpib.com

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
Seems like you just got back Jim. Well enjoy once again as I am sure you do.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2011, 05:08:32 AM »
ps. Tomorrow I get my copy of Neal Stephenson's latest, Reamde. I find my pleasures where I can.

Drifting way off topic, but what did you think of Reamde, Jim?  I had been working through mostly on the bus or lunch breaks until tonight, when I found myself about the half-way mark 6 hours ago and realized I could just about get through the last 500 pages before I absolutely had to crash to get 6 hours of sleep before work.  (I read FAST, about 100 pages an hour.)  And, more importantly, I had reached the point where I WAS going to finish it before I went to sleep.  This was easily my favorite of his books since Cryptonomicon.

Eric

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Finished a couple of days ago, Eric,
I agree. As I told a friend, "A worthy successor to SNOW CRASH and CRYPTONOMICON. As much as I enjoyed "The Baroque Cycle" which I began to reread as soon as I finished the third volume, this is better: more compact, richer characters and characterizations and more FUN.

Let me know what you think when you get to the end. And tell me what you thought of ANATHEM, if you read it.

Peace from Paris,
Jim (|:{>

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Oh, I got to the end shortly before I posted last night; Jim.  The post was what I did in the very brief window between "I finally turned the last page" and "OK, I can sleep now".  Reamde was the first book in several years when I had a "I'm going to be short of sleep on a work night because I can't sleep until I'm done" reaction; I read around 500 pages in a marathon session.  I loved it; it never turned from a thriller into a comedy but it was frequently laugh-out-loud funny.  Stephenson is a master of injecting humor without sacrificing drama.  He does still have his issue of not wanting to write falling action, though.

Anathem, I enjoyed immensely but I really need to re-read.  It was excellent work on the micro level, his usual funny and well developed.  And it was great on the macro level, with tons of big ideas coming at you at great speed.  I'm just now sure how well I think those meshed.  And it's probably telling that my reaction after finishing it was "I need to re-read this very soon" now that I had some clue as to what was going on, but I still haven't.