- +

Author Topic: Universe Wreckers  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Re: Universe Wreckers
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:03 AM »
Because nearly every issue of the JLA began with 22.300 miles above the earth

Yeah, baby!

"22,300" miles in the US, "22.300" in Europe.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:03 AM »

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
 It's interesting to see how the concept of the "super-team" was actually used back during the golden age, when teams were scarce. You don't find the Justice Society of America ending the war, but you do find stories like "Food for Starving Patriots," or you find the other relatively long lasting team of heoes, the Seven Soldiers of Victory/Law's Legionaire's battling the Senses-Taker or even someone a little closer to the current concept of a "super villain" with Black Star. You also see very little of any actually team work save post war when the declining page count prompted small teams instead of three page segments featuring individual heroes in sub-plot episodes.

It's remarkable how few teams actually existed in the golden age, even counting things like the Blackhawks, the Death Patrol, and possibly even the Target and the Targeteers.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
It's interesting to see how the concept of the "super-team" was actually used back during the golden age, when teams were scarce. You don't find the Justice Society of America ending the war, but you do find stories like "Food for Starving Patriots," or you find the other relatively long lasting team of heoes, the Seven Soldiers of Victory/Law's Legionaire's battling the Senses-Taker or even someone a little closer to the current concept of a "super villain" with Black Star. You also see very little of any actually team work save post war when the declining page count prompted small teams instead of three page segments featuring individual heroes in sub-plot episodes.

It's remarkable how few teams actually existed in the golden age, even counting things like the Blackhawks, the Death Patrol, and possibly even the Target and the Targeteers.

The evil "Senses-Taker"?

Yeah, even the JSA was basically separate stories/characters joined together at the beginning and end.

It's interesting how covers would feature a bunch of heroes together (like "Four Favorites"), but not in the story. First time for everything.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
Sure, if you want to get all real world about it, but when you're 5 years old reading that stuff, insurance premiums and due process (check out http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/law/archives.shtml for some real world analysis of comic book law, it's awesome. I wish I could find his article on a GA comic where someone was found "guilty in the first degree of murder") and other boring adult stuff doesn't enter into it.

These guys are fun, too, for those who haven't seen it.  I got busy and haven't checked them in a few weeks, but that's me, not them.

http://lawandthemultiverse.com/

How, exactly, do cosmic rays "mutate" an individual? How exactly does Spider-Man leaving a bunch of dudes strung up in a web lead to them being tried and convicted of bank robbery? How can Superman pass as Clark with just glasses? Why didn't Superman or Captain Marvel just fly over to Germany during WWII and end the war in an afternoon? etc. At some point you either accept the conventions of the (I hesitate to call it a) genre, or you don't. But everyone's "line in the sand" is different I suppose.

I suppose, but to me it's less a matter of being picky about the story and refusing to assume that the comic world might differ from the real world.  Things like a secret headquarters, to me, says the wrong things about the heroes.  Luthor needs a hideout; Superman shouldn't.

And Superman passes as Clark because Lois has spent decades hiding the secret in plain sight by acting like a shrew who "knows" they're the same person even though she loves one and hates the other.

Or everybody knows and they just humor him.  I mean, are YOU going to be the one to tell Superman that his disguise is stupid?

On the flip side, why do people ascribe homosexual (and, technically in this case, pedophilic) motivations to a man whose parents were murdered in front of his very eyes, whose very childhood ended that night when he devoted every waking moment to preparing to fight criminals, taking in an orphan boy whose parents were also murdered in front of his very eyes? Does nobody see that he wants to ensure that Dick had a father-surrogate? (Granted, they were sometimes shown in the same bed .... but I chalk it up to ultra-compressed storytelling ... )

The same reasons Frank Miller needed to rewrite Batman (over and over) as a disturbed, ultra-violent thug who's starred in the comics ever since.  There's a large faction of readers and writers who, unconstrained by the Comics Code, can't conceive of an actual good person who sees the need to work outside an impotent or corrupt law.  So they find (or create) fault to make anyone opposing crime who isn't on the government payroll a nut.

Remember the '80s, when Batman became brain-damaged, Superman cheated at football, Green Lantern became an alcoholic, and Hawkman became a murderer?  Or was Hawkworld the '90s?  I forget, but you get the idea.

On a positive note about comics, does anyone know the altitude requirement for sustaining a geosynchronous orbit? I bet a bunch of people do who were reading comics in the 1970s...

Raised on those comics, I won an argument over it with a friend who was both, at various times, an astrophysicist and atmospheric physicist.  He was a hundred miles high, just so you know.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »

I suppose, but to me it's less a matter of being picky about the story and refusing to assume that the comic world might differ from the real world.  Things like a secret headquarters, to me, says the wrong things about the heroes.  Luthor needs a hideout; Superman shouldn't.

And Superman passes as Clark because Lois has spent decades hiding the secret in plain sight by acting like a shrew who "knows" they're the same person even though she loves one and hates the other.

Or everybody knows and they just humor him.  I mean, are YOU going to be the one to tell Superman that his disguise is stupid?

If it didn't differ from the real world, superheroes wouldn't exist. The real world is mundane, I want giant robots and evil super-scientists.

And the whole disguise thing would work if superheroes and their secret identities didn't hang out with the same damn people all the time. Besides, it's not just in comics - doesn't Mozart have an opera (Marriage of Figaro?) where a woman "disguises" herself by wearing her maid's clothes - and her husband doesn't recognize her!? For me, provided there is some internal consistency, I'll buy almost anything.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
If it didn't differ from the real world, superheroes wouldn't exist. The real world is mundane, I want giant robots and evil super-scientists.

I agree.  I just find it annoying that writers push to be "more realistic" by making the heroes obnoxiously "flawed" and saddling them with fake legal issues, but don't deal with issues like, say, "why does a man chosen for his fearlessness and honesty hide and lie about his identity?"

I guess where I draw the line isn't so much in the setup as in the consequences.  I'll accept the conventions for the purpose of enjoying the story, but eventually I'm going to question the decision and realize the stories could be better if they were handled sensibly.

And the whole disguise thing would work if superheroes and their secret identities didn't hang out with the same damn people all the time. Besides, it's not just in comics - doesn't Mozart have an opera (Marriage of Figaro?) where a woman "disguises" herself by wearing her maid's clothes - and her husband doesn't recognize her!? For me, provided there is some internal consistency, I'll buy almost anything.

Right.  The secret identity I can (almost) agree with.  People not recognizing them, sure, I'll chalk that up to a combination of people not questioning what's presented to them and "bad reporting."  But when Superman keeps a secret identity "to protect his friends," who he then hangs around with in his OTHER identity!?  I'll accept it's part of the story, but no writer is going to convince me that it's a good idea or helping the story.

Again, though, my big bone of contention is the secret headquarters:  Hey, Batman, it's just great that you have someplace to safely hide while the rest of us are being slaughtered by the Joker to attract your attention.  We're all proud to be sacrificed to hide the secret of your true face even though Facebook's facial recognition keeps suggesting I tag you in cellphone snapshots as Bruce Wayne and Anonymous hacked into your financial records to prove you own the Batmobile...

Offline KevinP

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »
Because nearly every issue of the JLA began with 22.300 miles above the earth

and Adam Strange fans can tell you exactly how far Alpha Centauri is from Earth
"Stories are signposts to help the world choose between the darkness and the light." ~Arago