- +

Author Topic: UK Black Magic reprint story tracing.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline jimpy

• VIP
  • DCM Member
UK Black Magic reprint story tracing.
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
This is probably a forlorn hope, but I am trying to trace some stories from the only UK Black Magic I lost. Apart from The Wail of the Wendigo I don't even remember the titles, but one had something coming out of a pit, one was a hunter who made a prey - Yarx - one was a cat and mouse people story, and one was about a hotel full of decapitated ghosts. Can anyone help?

Digital Comic Museum

UK Black Magic reprint story tracing.
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: UK Black Magic reprint story tracing.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:13:21 PM »
Hi jimpy,
Did you try searching by Story Title over on GCD?
I just tried looking for 'The Wail of the Wendigo' and it shows nothing.

Offline jimpy

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:51:45 AM »
Answering some of my own question, The Monster of Zollmort Castle, The Manhunter, The Man With A Tail

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:23:37 AM »
Answering some of my own question, The Monster of Zollmort Castle, The Manhunter, The Man With A Tail

"The Monster of Zollmort Castle" is from Avon's Eerie #8.

"The Man With the Tail" is from Atlas/Marvel's Astonishing #18

"The Manhunter" is a very common title but I'm gonna guess that the one you are looking for is likely from Atlas/Marvel's Astonishing #21

The Atlas/Marvel titles can't be hosted here because of copyright restrictions and Eerie #8 is unfortunately one of the few issues of that title still not yet available on the DCM site.  "The Monster of Zollmort Castle" was however reprinted fairly recently as I clearly remember reading the story (because of the odd name in the title).  I'm thinking that it may have been in an issue of AC Comics Crypt of Horror.

Best

Joe

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
Thanks for helping jimpy with this info Joe.

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
I'm afraid you've got me confused on this Jimpy. Going by the contents of the 16 regular UK issues of Black Magic and the one 164 page Album there doesn't seem to have been any story called 'The Wail of the Wendigo'! Meanwhile two of the other titles you mention did appear, but in separate issues - ie: 'Man with a Tail' in no.10 and 'The Monster of Zollmort Castle' in no.12. (I couldn't find 'The Manhunter' either, but there were two different stories called 'The Maneater')

- Phil Rushton :-\

Offline jimpy

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
er...The Wail of the Wendigo could have been Song of the Undead, and I might have lost 2 issues - it was 58 years ago! I do recall that the UK edition had Room for One More in it, and 'Manhunter' had a creature called Yarx who had the last laugh, if that helps pin it down. Anyway, thanks for your collective efforts.

Offline philcom55

• DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:53:04 AM »
I know just what you mean about the unreliable nature of childhood memories Jimpy. I spent years trying to locate a favorite issue of Justice League of America I 'remembered' that had a fantastic Murphy Anderson cover on which the Joker was shown sitting on a riverbank catching the League members one by one with a giant fishing rod. Goodness knows what region of the Twilight Zone I must have read that in!

Incidentally, I've just had a look at my copy of the British Black Magic no.12 and 'Song of the Undead' doesn't contain anything remotely like a Wendigo - unlike 'The Curse of the Bulaga' in the same issue where the 'Bulaga' in question does seem to have quite a lot in common with that legendary creature.

- Phil Rushton