- +

Author Topic: How does a guy keep track of what is newly uploaded in DCM?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
I'd like to know how people are keeping track of what they have download, and more importantly not downloaded from DCM.
For example you have download a all the available issues of WHIZ a year ago. (like I did). Come back now and there are a bunch of new issues that have been uploaded.
Is there a easy way to see what the new issues are by just clicking a button or two?
Right now I am looking back and forth between what I have on my computer and what is on the site. This is very time consuming when you have to do it over many titles and series...
Can you sort by date in the archive of the site?
Please excuse me if there is a simple way to do this, but when you have many downloads over many different series, this gets to be somewhat overwhelming! :-/
Your friend in DCM,
Bminor

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: How does a guy keep track of what is newly uploaded in DCM?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
I download just about every new comic uploaded that interests me to a download folder dated by month. Every month I start a new folder. If there is a title I'm downloading from the list, I  check the upload date and if it is outside the date range of my monthly folders, chances are I haven't downloaded it. I bought a 500gb drive so I have space to sort out comc scans by publisher and title and every couple of months, I copy the new downloads into the right section. It's not infallible and I still sometimes download the same comic twice.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »
You could make a spreadsheet to track them. There are online comic databases like http://www.stashmycomics.com/Default.asp but they aren't exactly Golden Age-centric.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
Hi B,
That does raise an good question.  I'll bring it up with CaptDJ our code guru.  But don't expect anything soon, he's a busy guy in real life.

-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:10:59 AM »
For Firefox, there's an add-on called Table2Clipboard that lets you right-click on a table (like the search results) and copy it AS a table, so it can be pasted into a spreadsheet.

So, generally, I search for a period ("."), since every file has one in its name or description somewhere, copy the results, paste to Excel, and sort by the upload date.  Comparing with my last download shows me where to start looking for new material.

Current alternatives (not particularly useful if your needs predate their creation) would be to use the Facebook page, where Rangerhouse has been graciously and diligently posting each new release with a cover shot, or subscribing to the (unofficial and possibly prone to breakage if the "latest downloads" page changes formats) RSS feed, which does something similar, but without the image and only limited to the last bunch of additions.

There's a link to the Facebook page at the top, and mchlk's RSS feed is a sticky topic in the Links section.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
And there is the 'Latest Uploaded Comics' link which can go back to the start of the site if you keep hitting the 'Next' link in the bottom right.  
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats.php?ACT=latest&start=0&limit=100

You can increase the number in red to almost anything you like and it lists in the order books were added to the site if that helps.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
Ooh, I forgot that Capt. DJ added navigation there!

I...I just got way too excited about that.