developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: 'Bleeding Cool' and 'boing boing' Readers  (Read 6423 times)

Drusilla lives!

Re: 'Bleeding Cool' and 'boing boing' Readers
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »
You hit the nail on the head bro... you're a SLAVE... the "work-for-hire" or "work-at-will" or whatever other nonsense they called it when you signed your contract IS a slave labor contract.  

Yes, I'd suspected it ever since I started reading up on the early history of the comic industry... the parallels were so evident (to me anyway)... and your comments confirmed it for me!  Thanks for that dude.  

It's almost like being Ty Thorn when he found the evidence that soylent green was made out of people.  :)

Now, am I coming off poorly for holding this view of the early working conditions of the GA comics industry?... It is only my current opinion after all.  Or is it that you guys here feel that I'm somehow being critical of what you're doing here now?  

Well, I don't see why you would feel guilty of anything really, you're only trying to keep these works from falling off into the dust bin of time as far as I can see.  And you're doing everything you can to assure that the works are indeed PD... right?  And I don't really think you're profiting in any way... as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:49:53 PM by Drusilla lives! »

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

I'm not trying to misquote you, I'm just trying to discern where you stand on the issue... it seems pretty obvious to me now.

No, I don't think you do understand what I'm saying or how I feel about the subject, even though I've been as clear as can be.  Either that, or you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

No, if anything, I'm trying to argue the point that most of the GA of comics was built on slave labor.  .... The work-for-hire system that was put in place IMO was a form of slavery ...  

But you can say that about every job where someone is working for someone else, so what makes comics so special that you use the term "slave labor" in the place of "employment"?

How would they self-publish?

Like anyone else who has ever self-published:  Get the money together, get their book printed, then get the book distributed to the appropriate outlets or strike a deal with an existing publisher to help-out with some of the "grunt work" that publishing entails.

And how would they paint murals and portraits?

Ummm ... by painting them.  It's not really that hard (if you have the talent) to build a career around art.

All I have to do is read your comments to know that such work isn't valued by society at large ...

You don't know me, so don't assume I think or feel a certain way about anything unless I say it.

... and when it is, it's usually done by artists whose work is valued by people who don't read comic books.

That's because portraits & paintings appeal to a different "audience" that doesn't care about reading a story.

Uhm...first, everybody relax a bit.  I'll turn this car right around if you can't behave.

To quote my daughter:  "Then I'm gonna tear this car apart!"
Seriously, though, I'm not getting worked-up over this, just enjoying a nice discussion with someone who has a different opinion.  No harm, no foul.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:35:47 PM by bchat »

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 07:54:41 PM »

I'm not trying to misquote you, I'm just trying to discern where you stand on the issue... it seems pretty obvious to me now.

No, I don't think you do understand what I'm saying or how I feel about the subject, even though I've been as clear as can be.  Either that, or you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Ya know, now that I think about it, I'm not so sure as to how you stand on "the issue" because I've lost track of what that issue was.  

If you want, please explain what was the issue you were talking about (and your thoughts on that matter)... perhaps we indeed weren't speaking of the same thing here... and I'm not asking you just for the sake of arguing.  

Otherwise we can just drop it, OK?  

Because one of the things I find as despicable as a slaver is a grave robber.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:46:01 PM by Drusilla lives! »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
Hmm.
This discussion went off the rails of the original topic.
I'm going to lock the thread and suggest if Drusilla and bchat want to continue they start a new, appropriately named topic perhaps in the General Discussion area.

Thanks,
-Yoc