RuneQuest any edition
0 (0%)
GURPS
0 (0%)
Champions
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: September 19, 2010, 09:41:52 AM

Author Topic: Do you play Paper and Pencil RPGs ?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Do you play Paper and Pencil RPGs ?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »
Can someone show me how this RPG looks ?  :-\

Which one? There have been a number of different RPGs mentioned.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »

Offline roxolid

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
I used to play in your All Stars group Jon (don't recall which character. Lionheart? Some vampire type guy?) and currently run a game using the Golden Heroes game from way back. Also (trying!) to write and finish a diceless game based on the out of print Marvel Universe Game. Basically, it's resource management based. Your character can do certain stuff automatically, and add energy points from a pool for extra effort.

e.g. Wonder Man (the original version) tries to lift a truck. His Strength of 5 allows him to lift 1000lbs per point, so a total of 5,000lbs. For every extra point of energy he adds 1,000lbs to his lifting weight. If the truck weighs 7,000lbs, an extra 2-3 points of energy will do the job.

Obviously characters don't have an unlimited energy pool and combat sucks it away like nobodies business.

Am determined to finish it, but it's still in the writing stage, and of secondary importance to my long running Play By Forum game which has had the superheroes start in modern times, be hunted by the authorities, civil war style, then go into the past to set history right when bad guys from the future win WWII for the Nazis. Throw in aliens, zombies, a side trip to a mythical/mystical land and it's a real hotch potch, something for everyone. (I hope!)

Cheers, Paul

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
I used to play in your All Stars group Jon (don't recall which character. Lionheart? Some vampire type guy?) and currently run a game using the Golden Heroes game from way back. Also (trying!) to write and finish a diceless game based on the out of print Marvel Universe Game. Basically, it's resource management based. Your character can do certain stuff automatically, and add energy points from a pool for extra effort.

e.g. Wonder Man (the original version) tries to lift a truck. His Strength of 5 allows him to lift 1000lbs per point, so a total of 5,000lbs. For every extra point of energy he adds 1,000lbs to his lifting weight. If the truck weighs 7,000lbs, an extra 2-3 points of energy will do the job.

Obviously characters don't have an unlimited energy pool and combat sucks it away like nobodies business.

Am determined to finish it, but it's still in the writing stage, and of secondary importance to my long running Play By Forum game which has had the superheroes start in modern times, be hunted by the authorities, civil war style, then go into the past to set history right when bad guys from the future win WWII for the Nazis. Throw in aliens, zombies, a side trip to a mythical/mystical land and it's a real hotch potch, something for everyone. (I hope!)

Cheers, Paul

Ah, I certainly do remember you, Paul, and the main character you played was one of your own creation, Lionheart, who was indeed a vampire acting as a super-hero. You also gave him a sidekick named the Black Knight and a female partner named Fiona whose code-name I cannot recall.  Used used to write long passages compared to the rest of us and you reminded me of A.E. Van Vogt, the science fiction writer, in that you would change the direction of the story about every 800 to a 1000 words. You also played Captain Marvel very well after only reading one or two golden age Captain Marvel stories, which impressed me greatly. Those were good times.

I believe David McMahon is still in the PBEM game you run.

Do let me (and the others) know when you finish your new RPG. I'll certainly want to take a look at it.

Good to hear from you.

Take care,
 Jon

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
...had the superheroes start in modern times, be hunted by the authorities, civil war style, then go into the past to set history right when bad guys from the future win WWII for the Nazis. Throw in aliens, zombies, a side trip to a mythical/mystical land and it's a real hotch potch, something for everyone. (I hope!)

Cheers, Paul

Paul,
Did you know this is almost the exact plot of the Freedom Force vs the Third Reich PC game of a few years ago?
See here - http://www.freedomfans.com/ffvttr/

Offline roxolid

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
...had the superheroes start in modern times, be hunted by the authorities, civil war style, then go into the past to set history right when bad guys from the future win WWII for the Nazis. Throw in aliens, zombies, a side trip to a mythical/mystical land and it's a real hotch potch, something for everyone. (I hope!)

Cheers, Paul

Paul,
Did you know this is almost the exact plot of the Freedom Force vs the Third Reich PC game of a few years ago?
See here - http://www.freedomfans.com/ffvttr/

Well I played the original game but never got round to the second (it's sitting on a shelf, shrink wrapped, behind me). I'll maybe take a look though. Can you carry characters over from the first game or have to make all new ones? (Or maybe I should just get off my lazy ass and look  ^-^  )

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:37 AM »
It's a sequel with many of the originals and new WW2 heroes and villains tossed in.
I only started playing it a short while ago myself and I was obsessed with the first one.  I'm not sure about carrying over any of your own original characters, sorry.

-Yoc