- +

Author Topic: Mary Marvel Club  (Read 2387 times)

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
Mary Marvel Club
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »
Quote from: Yoc
Interesting coincidence here -
I happened to save some Mary Marvel Club scans from the Pop Culture site IIRC.
Here you go!

(CLICK on THUMBNAIL to see full size images)

http://a.imageshack.us/img832/808/194546marymarvel00envel.th.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img52/1221/194546marymarvel01fancl.th.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img844/8336/194546marymarvel02badge.th.jpg

Why are Blue Beetle, Green Mask, Green Lama, and the Bouncer listed with the Fawcett comiics in the Mary Marvel Club letter?????

Digital Comic Museum

Mary Marvel Club
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Mary Marvel Club
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
Good eyes Bob.
That IS an interesting question.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
Hm.  I know I've seen books with a Mechanix Illustrated advertisement "hosted" by Captain Marvel.  Maybe this was part of some kind of cross-promotion scheme?  Something along the lines of, "we'll mention your books to our fan club members if you give us a cut rate on space," maybe.  I know there were a variety of ad consolidators (think along the lines of banner rotators for web pages, today, but for print), so this could be extremely complicated, even if it's traceable.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
Well, Mechanics Illustrated makes sense on the list as it was published by Fawcett, John,
as were most of the other titles. But Green Mask, Blue Beetle, Green Lama and Bouncer certainly were not. As Yoc said, a VERY interesting question...

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:35:59 AM »
Sorry, I zoned out while I was typing that.

What I meant to point out was that I've seen those ads (Mechanix) run in at least a handful of books not published by Fawcett.  Since that seems like it'd be objectionable to me (we interrupt your superhero story with a better-drawn advertisement with a more popular superhero to sell something from another company!), it seems like there'd be more to such a deal.

After all, there aren't too many conditions where it makes sense for Fawcett to run ads in books much less read than their own OR for those smaller companies to fill the spot, unless there's more to the deal.

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:06:55 AM »
Fox got Blue Beetle back in 1944.
Spark got Green Lama (from Prize) in 1944.
Maybe Fawcett had been negotiating a deal to buy the Fox characters from Holyoke and Green Lama from Prize?

The Mary Marvel Club probably wasn't a big enough deal (money maker) for Fawcette to redo the membership letter.

Also, I have a request. Would someone link in the Larry Ivie Monsters and Heroes Mary Marvel Marching Society 'ad' to this discussion?

Thanks!
Bob
Public Enemy #1

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:58:10 AM »
Also, I have a request. Would someone link in the Larry Ivie Monsters and Heroes Mary Marvel Marching Society 'ad' to this discussion?

You've lost me there Bob.
If you want to include a link to another site  his the Blue Globe icon about the smilie faces when replying and paste it into there.
-Yoc

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »

You've lost me there Bob.
If you want to include a link to another site  his the Blue Globe icon about the smilie faces when replying and paste it into there.
-Yoc

I'm hoping for an image link or image links.

If memory serves, I subscribed to Larry Ivie's Monsters and Heroes.  He seemed like an OK guy to me. Maybe the MMMS claim was just a fannish hoax (joke).

Similarly Biljo White claimed 'Ivan Ivanovich' as a Russian Batmanian and printed at least one communication from 'Ivan' in Batmania.

Folks shouldn't be so quick to believe AS GOSPEL (unquestionable) everything they read...
(I plead guilty re Mary Marvel Marching Society.)

Anyway, I believe Larry Ivie, Bill Pearson, and (notorious Russ Manning tracer) Dan Atkins were fanzine buddies who did Sata. I don't remember if it was Larry Ivie or Bill Pearson who sent me an issue of Sata with a ERB (Edgar Rice Burroughs) type comic story with art by Ivie (if memory serves). Maybe I'll dig the Sata out and scan it.

('Sata' was for 'Satyr' and 'Satan'. Sata was a secular humanist and mildly sexy comic fanzine / stripzine probably most inspired by Frank Frazetta art and ERB.)

Bob
Public Enemy #1

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:50:36 AM by BobS »

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »
Looking thru the GCD re Blue Beetle, the Issue Note for #36 says it was distributed by Fawcett.

(Back in the 1960s, in my area DC distributed ALL comics, and apparently held back Charlton Action Heroes titles at a certain point until Giordano moved to DC. I had to buy the issues I missed from RBCC ads-- and I checked comics EVERY Tuesday & Thurday -- rain, SNOW, or shine.)

Cordially,
Bob
Public Enemy #1

Offline SharanMcQuack

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:20 PM »
The Green lama was drawn by one of the Captain Marvel Jr. artists, Mac Raboy. ( I love the Marvel family. Despite a slight case of having been born in 1959.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:26:10 PM by SharanMcQuack »