developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Wonder Woman get a new costume - WW#600  (Read 6374 times)

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
Re: Wonder Woman get a new costume - WW#600
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »
What really gets me is where Straczynski says "While other characters, from Batman to Superman and others, throughout the DC Universe have undergone substantial changes over the years, Wonder Woman has remained pretty much the same in appearance."  What planet has he been living on?  Wonder Woman's white "karate" phase and dreadful bicycle shorts look lasted as long or longer then Batman's Az-Bats armor, or "Sparky Blue Electric Superman", so exactly where are these substantial changes that passed WW by?  I'd be willing to bet that anyone who hadn't seen any of DC's "Trinity" characters since 1942 would have no problem recognizing any of them today (Flash & Green Lantern, on the other hand, are completely different from the Golden Age, but remain at least visually recognizable to their Silver Age personae).

-comicsnorth

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
What really gets me is where Straczynski says "While other characters, from Batman to Superman and others, throughout the DC Universe have undergone substantial changes over the years, Wonder Woman has remained pretty much the same in appearance."  What planet has he been living on?

I assume he's living on the world where he has to sell a product to a skeptical audience that doesn't even realize Wonder Woman is still being published.  And I'm guessing he means that Superman made the cover of Time Magazine when he died, and Batman's costume and origin get tweaked every movie and every time some writer has too much time on his hands, and sometimes that makes the news, too.

Either that, or he's a lot younger than he looks, and is comparing Wonder Woman versions since the Superfriends launched...

John, Linda C liked the goofy boots the most!

I don't entirely disagree.  As a single element, they're sort of cute and fit the character.  My problem with them is twofold.  First, they're detailed and fussy in a way that will give animators a rougher time than necessary.  Second, those lines don't match up to anything else in the costume, not even the fussier-looking bracers.

I could see making that piping a unifying element, though.  Run from the top of the boots up the outsides of the legs and up into the straps or neckline.  In a dark red without much other ornamentation, that could look pretty nifty.  But the animators will still hate you.

(I called them "boot-things" not out of distaste so much as not knowing if they were supposed to be boots, shoes, or some kind of Anklets of Submission.)

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
For those of you out there that are celebrating Independence Day tomorrow, here's my (old school) take on Wonder Woman.  

Enjoy the 4th!  :)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 09:11:34 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, if they really wanted to do something to shake things up in Wonder Woman, they might try not rebooting her backstory and tossing out her supporting cast for a change--I can't remember the last time a new creative team tried something that unexpected!

-comicsnorth