- +

Author Topic: Al Williamson has reportedly passed away...  (Read 6471 times)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: Al Williamson has reportedly passed away...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »

Sorry to hear of this JVJ, I sorta know how you feel... I've been caring for my mom (who has a terminal illness) for the last year or so.  

I appreciate the thought, DL,
but things are what they are. And things can always be worse. Like I said, you just cope. And that's the key - we have to adjust our lives to reality, like one that doesn't include Al Williamson any more. But at least it's a reality that included him for a long time and we get to revisit his work as often as we like. Like I said, it could be worse...

Peace, Jim (|:{> (JVJ is my logon, Jim is my name...)
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:13:25 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:50 PM »
Well said Jim.
And I hope you can continue to cope for your Mom.  I can only imagine the feelings, etc involved.

Take care,
-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:15:03 AM »
My thoughts go out to both of you two.  I lost my Mom about 18 years ago; all I can say is treasure what time you have.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:21:44 AM »
I'm a realist, Yoc, and a pragmatist, too. I love my mom, and she is progressing into a different part of her life. She's 89 and she's done a lot and lived a lot and what will be will be. Celebrate the now and the "future" will take care of itself. Someday my reality might be a world where my mom's dead, but that's not the now. You have to cope with and deal with now. I can handle that. Emotionally, it's not sad now and it's not going to be sad when she dies. It'll just be what happens. You know that old saying, "Nobody gets out of this world alive." Part of life is death. I'll miss my mom just like I'll miss Al Williamson, but it won't be unexpected when she goes.

Thanks for the good thoughts. Like I said, appreciate the now. If your mom is still alive, call her up and tell her you love her. You'll both appreciate it.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »
My thoughts go out to both of you two.  I lost my Mom about 18 years ago; all I can say is treasure what time you have.
Exactly, Eric,
We never know how long we have with our loved ones, so treat each moment as precious. You won't regret it.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »
Here's a link to my interview with Al:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1BnSuKICmU

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »
Thanks DM and there's some other interviews there that some here will want to see.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
Enjoyed the interview. Also liked seeing the face of Lou M who was a big indexer at GCD and wrote one of my all time favorite series of articles "Back Seat Superheroes" in Comic Reader

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »
There's a nice two part Al Williamson text interview for TCJ (originally from 1984) that's just been rereleased.  It can be found here.

I also happened to notice an interesting Frazetta "retrospective" article there as well... if anyone's interested in that it can be found here.

Btw, while I was reading that Williamson piece I was reminded that the GCD has the wrong inking credits for "A New Beginning" from Weird Science #22.  They have Williamson as inker, but RGK and Fritz did the work.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:18:54 PM by Drusilla lives! »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 04:19:04 AM »
Thanks for the info Dru. Could you please make the correction on GCD? Many of you have not tried indexing since the complete revamp. No longer do you have to index an entire issue you can just one piece of information if that is all you want to do at the time. ANYTIME you have some missing or better info you can make a very easy change yourself. I know that most of you love to have the right info available on GCD. Dru if you simply pull up the that issue on GCD and hit edit at the top you can make those changes and help everyone out. It is that easy no need to do more if you are registered. Anyone who has not registered please do so and help out big or small with whatever info you might have. thanks

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »
Done.  :)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 01:41:46 PM »

Btw, while I was reading that Williamson piece I was reminded that the GCD has the wrong inking credits for "A New Beginning" from Weird Science #22.  They have Williamson as inker, but RGK and Fritz did the work.  
Just another example of information dropping into the black hole of time, Drusilla lives!
This inking information was in Al Williamson: His Work in 1971 and The Art of Al Williamson in 1983. Wonder how it fell by the historical wayside.

Glad you caught it.

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »
... Glad you caught it.

Thanks Jim.  But it was nothing really... I was just re-reading those last few WS issues about a month ago and happened to notice a "RGK" in the background of one of the panels to that story.  Then I remembered that the GCD had listed Williamson as both penciler and inker on that one.  I was going to send them an error note, but never got around to it.  Then with Williamson's passing, and me happening across that article, I just remembered it.

Btw, you could call me by my real first name (Jim) Jim... but I fear that'll only cause further confusion so Dru is fine.   :)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
If only I can remember, Jim.
That's the trouble with all these alter egos: who's hidden behind which one? An my memory isn't what it used to be.

Tuesday I'm going to visit John Fleskes of Flesk Publications. He just got the first printed copies of his new Al Williamson Sketchbook volume 1. You'll be happy to learn that there are still Al Williamson drawings we HAVEN'T seen before.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 06:25:07 AM »
Confusion can be easy to get as I am another Jim. Jim and I discussed names awhile back. He prefers Jim and I have come to enjoy being Narf. So to avoid confusion it might be easier to refer to you as Dru