- +

Author Topic: Frazetta the man and his Legacy.  (Read 4109 times)

Drusilla lives!

Re: Frazetta the man and his Legacy.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »
I am a bit unsure about this, but seem to remember Will Eisner talking about how the artists that wanted the original art back got it from the Eisner-Iger shop, in one of his "Shop Talks" in Kitchen Sinks Spirit Magazine.

Actually, when I consider it a little further, I wonder why some of the artists would want their work back in the first place... and these art shops are a perfect case in point.  I mean, who knows how many people would have retouched the art by the time it reached the finial processing stage... all of which were probably learning the craft as well.  Would it really be useful to include it in one's sample portfolio when schlepping around for the next job?  And it's been said many times, that many of the artists working in the nascent comic industry back then considered it a stepping stone to other illustrative work, and not something they were rather proud of doing (Kamen said something to that effect in a Squa Tront interview).  

So I guess I find that statement by Eisner plausible... one would venture to guess that in some of those shops (with their assembly line working methods) that it was more a problem of just physically finding the work and returning it then anything else.

I think I got the periods mixed up some how, perhaps it was because I initially read Frazetta's book around the same time I read those recent Ditko and Kirby bios.  I must have conflated the experiences of the latter two at Marvel in the 60s period with Frazetta's.  Although as JVJ mentions, I guess DC was always a different story for various reasons.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:16:56 PM by Drusilla lives! »

Digital Comic Museum

Re: Frazetta the man and his Legacy.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »