developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Jon's uploads  (Read 73878 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Jon's uploads
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
Geo,
Can you confirm these are out of order inside the file?
Jon/Lofty are both old hands at this and never had a problem before this with file names, etc.

-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »
Crack 42 would have been an HP edit not Lofty, but he's equally old hand.  In any case I just DLed the file as it is here and the scanne page are in order.  I have no idea why a random page shows up on the DL page.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:23:24 AM by JonTheScanner »

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »
Crack 42 would have been an HP edit not Lofty, but he's equally old hand.  In any case I just DLed the file as it is here and the scanne page are in order.  I have no idea why a random page shows up on the DL page.
I've confirmed this as well. I am guessing that the Preview function is somehow being confused by the zip file contents and is displaying the images in the wrong order?

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
I've confirmed this as well. I am guessing that the Preview function is somehow being confused by the zip file contents and is displaying the images in the wrong order?
More information!

I've examined the ZIP file more closely, and determined that the actual file order inside the ZIP is in fact the order that Preview is displaying them in; i.e. the files in the ZIP aren't stored in ascending order of the file name. However, most programs that open/display ZIP files will display them in order of the name, not "natural" order.

If it's possible for the Preview code to do an implicit sort by filename when it opens the zip file to display the images (and display the first available image), this would fix the issue.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 05:31:54 PM »
I'm sure Capt will iron out the bugs eventually but until then lets all make an extra effort to have file names that use page numbers with double digit numbers and display in both CDisplay and the DCM Preview in the correct order.  And please have a cover as your first image whenever possible.

-Yoc

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I'm sure Capt will iron out the bugs eventually but until then lets all make an extra effort to have file names that use page numbers with double digit numbers and display in both CDisplay and the DCM Preview in the correct order.  And please have a cover as your first image whenever possible.

-Yoc
Yoc,

My explanation probably wasn't very clear, I'll try to restate it. The files inside the ZIP file for Crack 42 are named appropriately (double digit page numbers, etc.), and if you extract them to a folder, and sort them in order of the file name, the pages are in the correct order. However, when the ZIP file was created, the files were apparently added in non-sequential order. Capt DJ's Preview program appears to be pulling the files out of the ZIP file in the "natural" file order, instead of in order of the file name. CDisplay is probably doing a "sort by name" function when it opens the .cbr/cbz file so they are displayed in the intended order.

I hope this makes more sense.

- Snard

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
Ah, thanks Snard.  I'm sure that will help CaptDJ

Funny though, if PKZip (or whatever) is doing this I'd had expected a lot more uploads with the same problem.
I use WinRar for everything but haven't uploaded anything since the preview function was added.

-Yoc

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
Yoc, if you can get to them before I do, they both are in my folder on the ftp awaiting uploading, (in the correct page order, I checked them both out).

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2010, 02:16:22 AM »
Thanks Geo for explaining that.

This is a known issue and one been working to fix, thought I had fixed it BUT it still occurs with some comics.

Basically whenever you add a file to a zip/rar file it gets given an index number. So first file added is index id 0, next file 1 etc.

I think I might have fixed this for .cbr/rar files but seems need to do some more work with zip/cbz files.  My function basically opens the cbz/cbr file, finds index numbers then sorts them by filename.... but I'm guessing still few bugs in code.

Also reason cover thumbnail random page is because the extract thumbnail script that runs in background also based on my comic preview code for opening zip/rar files so it see's that page as first page so extracts it, resizes it and puts it in thumbnail folder.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2010, 03:20:14 AM »
Out of order cbz files should be fixed now :-D

Thou still needs testing and chances are another bug will show up now I fixed it

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »

Thou still needs testing and chances are another bug will show up now I fixed it
Thanks Capt DJ :)

I notice that the thumbnail image on Crack 42 is still showing the page it showed before; is there a separate process for updating those thumbnails, now that the preview code is fixed?

Thanks,
  - Snard

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2010, 07:47:06 AM »

Thanks Capt DJ :)

I notice that the thumbnail image on Crack 42 is still showing the page it showed before; is there a separate process for updating those thumbnails, now that the preview code is fixed?

Thanks,
  - Snard

The thumbnail extractor runs twice an hour and only does comics it not seen before ie new ones.

Chances are I will need to rerun the whole thumbnail extractor again and get it to pick up images that it missed before. So it will stay that way until I manually rerun the script once I have spoken to other staff. Other option was to manually make staff flag covers not displaying right and manually upload them but script doesn't do that yet and also they busy enough so better to automate it if possible.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »
Finding a way to flag a title as 'new' again might be the fast answer and let the auto add handle it after that.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Finding a way to flag a title as 'new' again might be the fast answer and let the auto add handle it after that.

Well I can do that easily but its more an issue of how to put that into sites code.

Might be just simpler to run script again since takes 1 night to do them all. Then mean's no one else needs to do anything. Will still be comics that don't have covers / wrong cover but shouldn't be tooo many so we can edit them natually when got edit/add/delete function up.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2010, 09:29:41 AM »
Is there perhaps a way for the staff to fire off the the script when perhaps you aren't available Capt?