- +

Author Topic: Stupid Publisher Tricks  (Read 1137 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OtherEric

  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 775
  • Karma: 63
Stupid Publisher Tricks
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
So I've been collecting DC's recent revival of Adventure Comics.  In a move I'm still not sure if I consider clever or annoying, they did 1:10 variants for the first 11 issues, with the "normal" issues being numbered 1-11 and the variants continuing the old numbering as 504-514.  I normally dislike limited variants on principle, but since I have issues 290-503 of the original run complete (and quite a few earlier issues) I've been buying both to continue the numbering.  (I may dislike the principle but I frequently like the specific variant covers!)

Anyway, DC has decided the double count idea has run its course, and with issue 516 they're going to just issue the series under the old numbering.  Which I'm happy with, as I've said I prefer the classic numbering and no limited variants to worry about.

What annoys me is what they did with issue 515.  Rather than a 1:10 variant like the rest, this one was a 1:25.  It was NOT solicited as being numbered 515; just as 12.  And it's part of the DC 75th variant subset, which has been getting a lot of attention as far as variants go.  So why the hell did DC set it up so that getting a copy of Adventure 515 would be so hard, when they are going back to the old numbering for all copies with 516?

Just needed to vent a bit.  >:D

Digital Comic Museum

Stupid Publisher Tricks
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »

Offline Yoc

  • S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13006
  • Karma: 32
  • "Say cheese!"
Re: Stupid Publisher Tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:08:37 PM »
Thank-you Eric for reaffirming my decision to stop buying new books way back in the early 90s.

And GL on getting your variant without paying a small fortune.
-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 775
  • Karma: 63
Re: Stupid Publisher Tricks
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
I'm OK with what I paid for my copy, I'm just irked that DC made it necessary for me to order it online rather than get it at my LCS.  We'll see what the price does over the next few months to see if I was wise to grab it quick or if it's going to drop back down.  Not that I'm likely to ever let it out of my hands.

My rule of thumb on pricing of the limited ratio variants:  6 months after the book comes out 95% of them will be available for cover price or at most a dollar or two premium.  And the remaining 5% will be quite expensive if you can even find a copy, which you probably can't.  And there is very little predictability on which ones will be the 5%.  The only sure way to determine if something is going to be in the 5% is to seriously consider picking the book up on release and then deciding against it.  :P