- +

Author Topic: Funny Book Adventures - A shameful plug of a video I made thanks to DCM  (Read 1784 times)

Offline JoeNewberry

• VIP
  • DCM Member
I asked Captain DJ if it would be okay for me to post this here, and he gave me permission.

I've spent three years trying to turn the first Captain Marvel story in to a Ken Burnsesque cartoon.  I'm finally satisfied enough with it to share it with you guys.  I couldn't have turned Whiz Comics #2 in to anything if I hadn't had a copy of it, and I couldn't have had a copy of it without the uploaders here are DCM.  So I wanted to thank all of you for your time.  I'm trying to use the public domain for what I believe it was intended to be used for, to promote new adaptive works that extend the cultural value of the original.  As I said to Captain DJ, if one person sees this video and learns to love Captain Marvel, the way that reading the Smithsonian Book of Comic Book Comics made me fall in love with the character in the 5th grade, then it'll all have been worth it.

Funny Book Adventures #1: The Origin of Captain Marvel

Please like, subscribe, smash that bell for notifications of future videos, etc., etc.  I'm kidding, please just give it 9 minutes and 45 seconds and see if it captures the old time radio show with Saturday morning cartoon feel that I was going for.  I hope you like it, and if not I'm sorry I couldn't entertain you.

Now the first episode took three years to make, so my ambitious intention is to try to start producing an episode every other week, adapted on a rotating basis from lots of different comics and genres.  Each genre will get its own title and episode numbering, so Fear from the Funny Books will be horror and crime stories, Funny Bookaneers will be pirates, Frontier Funny Books will be westerns, Funny Books in Love will be romance, Funny Books at War will be military, Futuristic Funny Books will be scifi, and Funny Book Funnies will be funny animals and comedy books.

If you have any suggestions for comics you'd specifically like to see adapted this way, let me know that, too.  I'd love to take requests.  Right now, I'm just picking things out at random and looking for the most off the wall/amusing/short things I can do.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member

Offline JoeNewberry

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Thank you!  I kept trying to get the embed html/iframe to work, but finally gave up and went with the link instead.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
Thank you!  I kept trying to get the embed html/iframe to work, but finally gave up and went with the link instead.

That feature is staff only :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
WOW, what a Great Job Joe!
Great use of voice and music as well.  It's such a shame the new paper scan wasn't available to you when you started this.  But even for fiche scans you've created a very entertaining video!

I'll be sure to share it on our DCM Facebook page as well.

It reminds me greatly of a favourite video game of mine from the 90s from Irrational Games called 'Freedom Force'.  A superhero strategy game with heavy influences from Jack Kirby in the visual looks they used.  Their secret origin cutescenes are quite similar in style to what you have done.  I think you would enjoy giving them a look.

You can see a few of them stuck together in this YoutTube video: ​https://youtu.be/zXqfLuWh7_U

Thanks for sharing your hard work Joe.  It's very impressive!  :)  :D
-Yoc

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Very nice Joe!!  Voice and sound effects bring the Captain Marvel panels to life. Impressive presentation; would have loved it as a kid in the 1940s and enjoyed it a lot now! Captain Marvel was, and is, my favorite superhero. No blockbuster movie can come any closer to the original character than the actual comic book panels.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Joe, your voice is radio perfect!  Do you do voiceovers?

Offline JoeNewberry

• VIP
  • DCM Member

That feature is staff only :)

That would explain it, then...  ^-^

WOW, what a Great Job Joe!
Great use of voice and music as well.  It's such a shame the new paper scan wasn't available to you when you started this.  But even for fiche scans you've created a very entertaining video!

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm ready to accept criticism, but overwhelming praise definitely gives me more confidence to try to do more of these in rapid succession...
Wait...
Paper copy, you say!?  PAPER COPY!
Oh brother...well, HD re-release incoming soon...

I'll be sure to share it on our DCM Facebook page as well.

Thank you, very much for that!  Every little bit of publicity helps.

It reminds me greatly of a favourite video game of mine from the 90s from Irrational Games called 'Freedom Force'.  A superhero strategy game with heavy influences from Jack Kirby in the visual looks they used.  Their secret origin cutescenes are quite similar in style to what you have done.  I think you would enjoy giving them a look.

I played Freedom Force!  It ran horribly on my 90s desktop computer as I recall and I ended up selling it to a classmate with better hardware.  I only remembered Minuteman, and I had completely forgotten they used this kind of cut scene.  Very cool source for inspiration.  I'll have to track a copy down, because I have a much better computer now.  Actually, it's probably on Steam...

Thanks for sharing your hard work Joe.  It's very impressive!  :)  :D

You're welcome!  Thank you for sharing it with everybody on the Facebook account and for letting me put it up here.  I really don't like being a shill, but I figured the people here, out of anybody in the world, would appreciate it.  It took forever because of laziness, perfectionism, and procrastination, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out overall.  Right now, I'm aiming to try to get at least three, if not four, more put together by Sunday. We'll see if I can achieve even one.

Very nice Joe!!  Voice and sound effects bring the Captain Marvel panels to life. Impressive presentation; would have loved it as a kid in the 1940s and enjoyed it a lot now! Captain Marvel was, and is, my favorite superhero. No blockbuster movie can come any closer to the original character than the actual comic book panels.

In my mind, I have a kind of fictional backstory for why it exists, as though it really was seen and loved by kids in the 1940s.  The newspaper industry was broadcasting news over radio facsimile, to machines like the Crosley Reado, but the newspaper magnates locked out a designer named Walter Grimsly who hada more sophisticated, experimental device that had a moving arms and mirrors and magnifying glasses, and could play sound in sync with the printed material.  Because they had no news to send, they partnered with comic book publishers.  As the comic would be printed out, the arms would manipulate it, the audio would be synced up to its movements, and then some clever scientists were recording it on film for posterity.  The DuMont, in the 50s, bought these films to fill air time on the network, and as part of their very experimental venture in to color TV broadcasting.  They added some more visual effects that the original radiopictophone couldn't perform with manipulating still pictures, and they then recorded their broadcasts on kinescope for the west coast markets.  The Funny Book Adventures we have now are those recordings that were fished out of the East River in New York.  But, there's a rumor (thanks to Yoc's comment above), that an original 35mm film print of the broadcast of Whiz Comics #2 may exist... :)

I have plans to record a short live action presentation about Grimsly's Radiopictophone to explain all this.  We'll see how many years that takes...

Joe, your voice is radio perfect!  Do you do voiceovers?

Thank you for saying so.  I think all my voices sound the same and are really inconsistent.  I'm going to try to make them better.  This is the first voice over work I've ever done, but I've always enjoyed doing voices and accents and the like.  I find that with a lot of online voice over related things I've watched, the performers usually settle in to their different voices and they improve naturally.  I'm hoping that happens with me, too.

Again, thanks to everybody for being so nice.  I've been dreading putting up the video for so long because the Internet is pretty vicious at times, and I'm easily persuaded to give up on something if I think nobody likes it and it isn't good enough to exist.

Now, I have several episodes to put together and a self-imposed deadline to meet.  I'll be back!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Very much looking forward to the next episode Joe!
:)

Offline JoeNewberry

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Very much looking forward to the next episode Joe!
:)

I just released it!  Whaddaya know, down from three years to about three days.  I need to start timing it whenever I'm actually working on one and see how long the process takes, versus all the distractions I come up with to keep from just getting it done.  I didn't want to start a new thread and clutter up the forums.  If anybody wants to see it, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBIUOiRVA94

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Funny Book Adventures - A shameful plug of a video I made thanks to DCM
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »
Hi Joe,
Great job!
I recall reading this story and groaning.  You've captured the silliness of it very nicely.
All I'd suggest is perhaps finding a female voice actress that shares your sense of fun to help you with these should you try your hand at a more serious story where a camp female voice could hurt your results instead of helping such as in this case.

Keep up the great work!
-Yoc