developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: NOTICE - Fawcett Comics changes due to copyright status  (Read 25949 times)

Offline Crimson-Blue-Green

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Sensational Idols
Re: NOTICE - Fawcett Comics changes due to copyright status
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Am I the only one who has noticed Master Comics #128 to 132 are back on the site?  https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=69
My Japanese idol music website: http://sensational-idols.weebly.com/

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2019, 02:49:16 AM »
Am I the only one who has noticed Master Comics #128 to 132 are back on the site?  https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=69

Thank you very much for the heads up, I suspect something glitched and we had to restore something from backup.  Not sure, I'm not the tech guy.  I've re-removed them.

Offline justice

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
I think this is tragic news.Our beloved Captain Marvel-the ORIGINALCaptain Marvel-is being buried once again by an incarnation of DC who caused his disappearance for 20 years in 1953. It would not be so bad if Warners were reprinting these comics so the public can legitimately by/download/collect/read them,but I see no sign of that.
I wish I had downloaded all of the material they have caused to be excised; I always felt secure that Fawcett comics were preserved and available on this site and I could read and enjoy them when I wanted to.
These comics have a special place in peoples hearts and should be readily available for research and enjoyment for posterity.
I wonder if a deal could be struck whereby such comics could be posted with a clear copyright acknowledgement , with permission of course.Might Warners be open to such an arrangement, or is this wishful thinking on my part?
 Of course, if you don't ask, you don't get......

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »
Unhappy state of Captain Marvel whom I'm just appreciating and getting into. Wonder what situations, events and characters  W is copyrighting/trademarking for their future projects - CM's marriage from the last issue? CM battling the Seven Deadly Sins (used in the movie)??

Anyway, are many of these missing issue stories reprinted in the Shazam Archives and Shazam DC comic reprints of the '70's? Have a couple of the latter, should I chase the rest down? Thanks and stay well.

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »
On a happier note, but also a sad note because it can't be shared here (it's on the verboten list), I just purchased a copy of Captain Marvel #137. Really wish I could scan it a share it. A small addition to my very small GA collection.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Congrats on your new book Face!
:)

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »
Thanks, Yoc! It's CM Battles the Seven Deadly Sins. 36 pages, 2 CM stories plus other characters.

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
Additional - CM Battles the Seven Deadly Sins (inside title is "Battles King Kull and...") is in the 75 Years book. 2nd CM story is Mr. Tawny's Culture Craze, 3rd story is CM and the Royal Riddle involving Billy Batson's double Tommy Archer and a switcheroo plot.

Sounds like they're copyrighting and trademarking all the very marketable characters - Mary Shazam the movie (female super powered heroines are super popular properties), Hoppy the Shazam Bunny? Anyone remember Rocket Racoon & Groot?

Offline charlau

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2021, 01:50:17 PM »
I didn'know that:

In the United States, as a result of successive changes in the law, works first published between 1924 and 1978 are protected for a period of 95 years after this first publication, i.e., until 2073 at the most and 2019 at the least. However, in most countries of the world, the Berne Convention applies with a protection of 50 or 70 years after the death of the author; that is to say until 2049 at the most for works by authors who died in 1978, and at least 1975 for authors who died in 1924.

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »
So what does this mean?

Offline Books23

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2021, 05:39:38 AM »
I am not a lawyer, and I am riffing from memory, so...

The simple rule is that works published in the States in 1925 or earlier are in the PD.  No exception.

Works published between 1926 and 1978 without the copyright symbol are PD.

Works published between 1926 and 1963 with a notice, but not renewed, are also PD.

I have seen many claims that most works published prior 1963 are in the PD....  Can't say for sure on that.

Offline markapplelover

• DCM Member
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
Can the letter be posted somewhere? Seems like they admit that some of the books are PD, which could be great!

Hello gang,
DCM has been informed by Warner Brothers (current owners of Fawcett copyrights) legal representation that several Fawcett books on DCM are in fact not in the public domain and must come down.  We have reached out and confirmed the email as authentic and they have been civil in their dealings with DCM and CB+.  WB is within their rights to ask us to remove these books.

The books they have asked us to remove are:
    Captain Marvel Adventures nos. 3-6, 46-129, 131-141 and 143-150;
    Captain Marvel Jr. nos. 29-34, 36-106, 108-117 and 119;
    Captain Marvel Story Book nos. 1-2;
    Fawcett's Funny Animals nos. 31-79;
    Hoppy the Marvel Bunny nos. 1-15;
    The Marvel Family nos. 1-3, 5-80, 82-89;
    Mary Marvel Comics nos. 1-28;
    Master Comics nos. 61-126, 128-132;
    Whiz Comics nos. 3-6, 64-98, 105-118, 130-153 and 155;
    Wow Comics nos. 36-69.

And any foreign editions containing reprints of copyrighted material from the listed issues.
We have removed the books as requested as well as any compilations with them in it.  If you notice any we have missed (particularly foreign editions) please call our attention to them as quickly as possible so we can correct the situation.

We will add bold notes in their sections about their changes in status and stress which cannot be uploaded again by anyone trying to be helpful and filling missing holes in the collection.

-Staff DCM

Offline Phil Prasco

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
The current Saturday Evening Post has the following article, which in fact I would not worry about
copyright repercussions, for as their enlightened attitude seems to be leaning towards the idea
that any presentation is better than none. If no eyes are permitted to view your past work, why
in the world would they want to see your current fare. Generally piracy is being looked upon as
advertising.  Why in the world would DC comics (Warner), not want free advertising. They cannot
seem to utilize all the resources they claim.  Very interesting article.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 12:29:23 PM by Yoc »

Offline 3Face

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2023, 12:11:27 PM »
It is a confusination :o Most of the Fawcett Captain Marvels are up on another site which I could mention, or would I get sued? I was looking for other sources for The Monster Society of Evil that might have been used for the limited edition hardcover collection put out in Britain (I think) a few years ago. Search took me to Gwandanaland listings and this other place. Looks like it has a lot of the same scans as DCM used to have, even to the GM files and fiches.

Have a better New Year folks!

Offline Shea6408

• DCM Member
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2023, 07:07:14 PM »
Gwandanaland published a Monster Society of Evil collection back in the day.

Once it was learned the final chapter was NOT public doman, they withdrew it from sale.

Since all of the other issues in the series are, in fact, still public domain, Gwandanaland had a contest in which someone write a new final chapter.

That's the version of Monster Society of Evil they currently offer for sale, with all of the originally published chapters except for the newly written final chapter.