- +

Author Topic: DCM Staffer Geo (RIP) memorial  (Read 5071 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
DCM Staffer Geo (RIP) memorial
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner59-Geo-animated.gif

Some sad news today, everybody.  We just found out that Geo passed away earlier this year.  He has been having health issues for a while now which caused him to fall out of touch for a few weeks at a time, so we didn't track down the information until today.  Geo was a founding staff member here at DCM, a prolific scanner, a member of the JVJ project, an exuberant fan of comic books, and a good friend.

George lived about 30 miles from me; not super near but close enough that we would get together once or twice a year for what we called "staff lunches."  We would always give Yoc a hard time about not traveling the thousands of miles to join us.  His absolute favorite artist of all time was Al Williamson, with the rest of the "Fleagle Gang" following close behind.  Every time I saw him he had something new in his collection of Williamson books.  The last time we got together he had just finished his collection of Atlas comics with Williamson art; Ringo Kid 10 was the last book he needed and it had been his personal grail for a year or two at that point.  What I will best remember about him was the utter joy he took in just about every comic he found.  Even in his 70's he was happy like a little kid every time he found something new.

Geo's obituary:
https://edwardsmemorial.com/tribute/details/13189/George-Ferriss/obituary.html#content-start

And a tribute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimPF1HpX1Q
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:15:41 PM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

DCM Staffer Geo (RIP) memorial
« on: April 06, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
Re: Geo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
Geo was a founding member here at DCM and before that played a big role over at Golden Age Comics. He would always be the first to welcome new members to the site when they posted in the forums and will truly be missed as a staff member here by all of us. I wish I had taken more of my time to get to know him better but the timezone difference tended to mean we would both be active at different times.

His signature on the forum was: "Filling holes, by ONE book at a time". His passing has left a hole in our community here that will be hard to fill.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:05:26 AM by Yoc »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Geo (RIP)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys.

I got to know Geo when he was one of the first people to volunteer to help scan books from JVJ's Collection.  I think he only did one box of Jim's books.  Some horror, sci-fi and Fawcett books.  Geo loved his sci-fi and especially his Al Williamson books!  But then he had to quit as a JVJ scanner due to his health issues.  He went MIA from the site for about a year IIRC due to his health.  But when he showed up again I had a feeling he would like to help in some way so I asked him if he would like to join the staff as a moderator.  To help with answering questions and especially as a goodwill ambassador which he excelled at.  I defy anyone that met Geo to not say they found him an open, welcoming person.  As Eric said, Geo had a love for comics that was infectious.

But as long as I knew Geo he had his health problems.  Many of them.  Enough to force him into retiring.  Geo was a Vietnam veteran and he came back with an unfair number of health issues.  So I was thrilled when I was able to put him into contact with another DCM member who was a veteran and they managed to improve Geo's pension (if that's the word, I'm not sure) so life wasn't quite so tight for him and his family.  Geo was the kind of guy you wanted to help out if you could because you knew he'd happily do the same for you.  I know several people here will be very saddened by his passing.  As CaptDJ so eloquently said - there is a Geo sized hole in our community now.

Here's a picture of OtherEric (left) and Geo from their first 'staff meeting'.  As usual I wasn't able to make it.  But I was always happy to hear how it went and wished that I could have been there.  He was a good friend to me and he will be very missed.

Rest in peace George.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/OtherEric and Geo.jpg

Offline Defiant1

• DCM Member
  • Comic Information Collector
    • Life After Comics II (Retry repeatedly if link fails)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »
Sorry to hear this. I definitely remember seeing his name online. Prayers for the family.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »
Sad to hear this. I remember seeing many of his posts.

Offline Dave Hayward

• Repeat Donor!
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 04:46:50 AM »
Very sad news indeed.
I'll miss George for his kind words when replying to a notification of a new upload of a scanned book.  :'(
Dave

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 07:37:15 AM »
We've created a tribute banner to go with this topic as well as on our Facebook page.

Geo's granddaughter knows about the post here and will let the family know as well.  Her husband was the creator of the very professionally done music in the background of the YouTube video tribute for him here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimPF1HpX1Q

An updated version of the song is also up here:
https://www.bandlab.com/idiotburns/a-song-for-george-deb72

-Yoc

Offline blastaar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »
Sorry to hear this. Geo helped a great deal to make this the welcoming, supportive community that it is.  My thanks to him for all his contributions.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 08:26:04 AM »
O no! Very sad to hear this. I remember him as a wonderful moderator.
Condolences from the German community.  :'(
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 02:40:09 AM »
Sorry to hear this.  Rest well, Geo.

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 06:28:55 AM »
Rest well, you will be missed.
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline Aratak

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
So sorry to hear this. A comic book brother-in-arms that will be missed.