developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Disgusted with modern comic books....  (Read 3171 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Disgusted with modern comic books....
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »
Is anyone buying marvel comics?

Quite a few, I mentioned Squirrel Girl in the post right before yours.  Also Star Wars, Doctor Aphra, Ms. Marvel, Mr. and Mrs. X, Asgardians of the Galaxy, Domino, X-Men: Grand Design, and I'm giving Fantastic Four at least a few issues trial.

If it seems like I'm mostly reading books somewhat to the side of mainstream marvel you probably aren't wrong, to be fair.  But it's still a fair number of books, and others come and go as they catch my attention.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »

Offline starkman

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 02:20:41 AM »
ASTRO CITY is definitely worthwhile.  one of the few books I can look forward to.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
Ahem ... a reminder that I'm trying to get this funded

http://standard-comics.com/hammerandanvil

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
Hear hear!  Well worth a look and pledge!
:)

Offline Chad!

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »
Can I toss out a recommendation for The Wrong Earth by Ahoy Comics?

The premise is what if the Pop Art/Adam West-esque Caped Crusader Batman switched Earths with the One-Dimensional/Grim n Gritty modern take on the character.  The series isn't played for laughs, though it has its humour.  Instead, there's a sincerity to the storytelling which might draw comedy from the surroundings of the Pop Art world, but never mocks the ideals of the hero, Dragonflly-Man himself or what he stands for.  I specifically bring this up, because I want to emphasize that this isn't a case of a company bringing back some Golden-Age/Silver-Age concept just so they can smugly point and laugh at it - there is a respect here for the source material along with a sense of fun.

Similarly, Titan Comics released two Fighting American mini-series recently and if you haven't read those, I'd strongly recommend you give them a chance.  For all the talk about Fighting American being nothing more than a Captain America rip-off, there is one significant difference between the two - one was meant to be played straight while the other was intended to be recognized as satire.  The recent series maintains a respect for the source material and its heroes while recognizing that villains such as Poison Ivan, Hotski Trotski, and Deadly Doolittle were created once Simon and Kirby realised that the Communist Witch hunt of the 50's, was just that - a witch hunt which couldn't be taken seriously.  Like The Wrong Earth, this series maintains the integrity of the good guys and treats its heroes respectfully and even reverentially, but isn't without its own brand of humour and fun.     

Offline garbanzo

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 05:40:54 AM »
One good thing I can say about modern comics is that there have been a LOT of wonderful reprints available in recent years. Dark Horse, Fantagraphics, and IDW/Yoe in particular have been churning out book after book. Some aren't great quality, but others, like the black and white EC collections, are just gorgeous.

As for original content, there are some hidden gems. There's a black and white horror mag called The Creeps that imitates old Warren mags to great effect, and is well worth checking out if you enjoyed the old Creepy and Eerie books.

Here's one of my favorite recent series. It's a black and white horror series that doesn't take itself seriously - to the point of almost being farcical, but not quite. Sexy, violent, funny, and just plain good.

http://www.cryptlogic.net/wulfandbatsy/

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »
Thanks GB, I'd never heard of that last title.  I'll look for it.

-Yoc