- +

Author Topic: Collecting Marvel Masterworks and it's editor Cory Sedlmeier ( a nice guy!)  (Read 1878 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Hey everybody!

I started collecting Marvel Masterworks a few months ago.
Joined another forum that was all about Marvel Masterworks.

Here is the link to that forum:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/masterworks-message-board-f1/

In the process of collecting these books, I have discovered a few things.
The first editions of the first 32 hardcover books, the quality of the original source material not the greatest.
Some of the people at the Masterwork forum said to stick to those edited by Cory Sedlmeier.
Cory Sedlmeier? Never heard of him!
So I did a quick search and came up with a 2 hour and 45-minute podcast/interview with Cory. Where he explains how the Marvel Masterworks line worked in the past, and how it works now.

Here is the link:
https://comicshenanigans.podbean.com/e/episode-530-a-conversation-with-cory-sedlmeier/

I highly recommend everyone here at DCM take a listen.
I have quite a few of the Masterworks now. My favorite one is the ATLAS ERA HEROES: Sub-Mariner & Human Torch Volume 3. It reproduces a ton of absolutely exquisite Bill Everett artwork. Bill is at the top of his game here. Absolutely stunningly beautiful artwork.

I have just about a complete set of all 30 volumes of golden age hardcover books, just missing Captain America 1 and 4.
I initially set my limit to $20 you can get quite a few these hardcover beauties. Then I upped it to $30 to pick up the remainder.
Most of these retailed between $40 and $75!!!

I am limiting myself to the golden age books, Atlas Era and the early Silver age books.

It is a lot of fun tracking them down!

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Hi B,
Thanks for the links!  I'm sure Cory would enjoy hearing how much you liked the work he was doing.  But I'm pretty sure I heard the line wasn't selling as much as Disney wanted and the Golden-Age Masterworks were discontinued.  You likely know better than me.  Perhaps you can tell us more.
I've heard good things about Cory from DocV who has done a lot of work with him and written a few introductions for some of the volumes.

Take care,
-Yoc