developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Depressing!  (Read 4075 times)

Offline fett

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Depressing!
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »
very depressing to see a book I scanned and uploaded for all to enjoy for free here not even 2 days ago already being marketed for 7.99 on ebay-think it's time to go back to private sharing only

Digital Comic Museum

Depressing!
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
Re: Depressing!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:53:56 PM »
I hate people who shove them up on ebay to make cash from a book they got for free. eBay is full of people making a quick buck selling printed versions, dvd's full of them etc but they refuse to do anything about it due to them being "public domain"

Problem is (depending what you mean by private sharing) that comic will always get out if just released on a DC+ Hub etc and then someone will try to cash in. My thought to combat people like this has always been trying to get this site and CB+ more popular and more people know they can get the books from here for free.

I remember back in the day, there was a site that sold most of these comics as digital downloads but when Golden Age Comics originally took off these books became available for free and they basically went out of business as there was no longer any real demand.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
Well said Capt.
I sure hope that Fett, one of the old guard scanners, reconsiders his idea and sticks with us!

-Yoc

Offline Snard

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »
I don't know if this would have any effect, but I wonder what would happen if someone added a text file to the scans that forbid them from sale by 3rd parties. Is there a Creative Commons license that would apply in this case?

Of course, doing this wouldn't stop someone from trying to sell them, but at least on a legitimate service like eBay, if the scan's creator reported the unauthorized seller to eBay, maybe they would pull the items in question.

Just a thought.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:59 AM »
I'd agree with what Captain DJ writes re. getting DCM and CB+ more popular, as I have seen some tables at local marts and cons with dvd's of scans offered for sale, many of which are from the 2 sites. By your standards I'm a small time scanner, more a digger, but even I am seeing some of my work on offer.  The dealers selling those discs have little to fear from ebay, other auction sites or the organisers at marts challenging them, even for new, non pd material.
The content on discs comes from a variety of sources, not only pd material from here.  As a contributor to one of the British only scan collections - which does not hold any new, current material - I note that members on there regularly find their hard work, which is done for the love of comics and strips, offered for sale in a number of places.  And of course Boutje has a lot of pd and non pd content from many sources incl. DCM, CB+, S......a and others.  The point is, it's all free and getting over to punters that they should use DCM and support it and the likes isn't easy.  Heaven only knows how many folk I've told about this site and CB+ and still they are so lazy and daft, they continue to pay for the stuff from dealers.  I just don't get it!
I realise some of you may differ from my opinion of non-pd, fallen flag and orphaned titles and companies, but in the end we all are in this for the betterment of the hobby and are prepared to keep giving our time and effort for free. So keep access free, please, as it's the main way of keeping this important treasury for all who are and might become interested in comics.

Stephen Montgomery

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Thanks Paw.
One is tempted to slip our URLs into the books on a random page like Marble River was doing.  But we all hate watermarks don't we?

-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:04 AM »
If I may take a partially dissenting view... I don't really like seeing my scans for sale in various formats, either.  But, what I'm sharing is public domain material.  And I don't feel my work in scanning it is transformative, so the scans should be public domain as well. Not even CC licensed, flat out PD.

And I firmly believe in and support a strong public domain, and hate the various ways it has been weakened the past few decades.  Seeing my scans for sale by third part is part of what the public domain is there for.  As long as we also have the venues to distribute them for free as well, the system is working as intended and working well.  And even if one part of the system annoys me in context... I'm glad it's there when I step back.  A slight variant on "I may disagree with what you're saying but I support your right to say it."

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
I agree with other Eric.  There are probably close to 100 "books" of newspaper strip reprints listed on Amazon for sale by Kari Therrian and Israel Escamilla that are composed of scans distributed by me and others on dailydose

(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dailydose/info)

There are even a few pages in which there is text printed upside down and in a light gray (on what is otherwise pure white so if you have the original png file you can easily erase) that you might find if you have a printed book -- assuming the "publishers" didn't notice first -- suggesting you join that group.

Offline fett

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:17 AM »
Well said Capt.
I sure hope that Fett, one of the old guard scanners, reconsiders his idea and sticks with us!

-Yoc

sorry just heat of the moment post there, but I definitely need to think of some way to disuade/discourage profiteers in the future when it concerns rare/valuable books I buy then share here. I've got some My Little Margie almost finished that they can sell photocopies of all day long and it won't bother me. :)

Offline rogera

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 09:41:10 PM »
I also got the same situation and that was a little bit depressing...