developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: It's our SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY!  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
It's our SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY!
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner45-7th ann animated-Final.gif
The Fred Hembeck commission for this banner provided by Roy JohnsonTo read more on Roy's other commissions click on this topic.
Check out his collection at http://roygbiv666.deviantart.com/

Hi Gang,
Welcome to the DCM Seventh Anniversary!
We've had another banner year (pun) with a ton of new books and members!
We gained 6538 new members this year and sit with 68168 total.
We also added 1726 new scans during the year and have 20856 total scans.

Some highlights over the past year -
We had our single biggest flood ever this past February in a Romance Books Flood spearheaded by Kracalactaka.  (K was also behind the Remembrance Day flood last year and another coming April 1st!)  Almost 200 new JVJ books as well as several non-JVJ romance books went up.  Sadly this was the last big, big batch from the JVJ Collection

Most members here will likely know just how important the JVJ Project has been to us and any comic fans out there.  Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr. (JVJ) approached us back in Sept. 2008 in the GAC days and offered us access to his wonderful collection.  With this last batch of 600 we've managed to scan and share over 4000 JVJ comics!  A few more will sprinkle into the site over the coming months.

DCM and CB+ members really stepped up and helped us cover the postage costs involved in shipping these last JVJ books back and forth to Jim.  We had completely exhausted the fund when we reached out.  Thanks again to Jim for sharing his collection and to all our JVJ Postage Fund donors out there that helped with your money!

And where would the JVJ Project have been without the scanners and editors out there?  People reading this might not know just how much is involved in scanning a single book.  The effort needed to do over 4000 is staggering!  Bravo and thank-you to everyone involved!

I compiled a list of everyone I believe has ever helped with a JVJ scan or edit since those first days in 2008 (sorry if I have left someone out) starting with our two most committed and prolific scanners - Rangerhouse and Soothsayr.

In alphabetical order -
a nonny moose, AgentUup, ancientonezero, Blastaar, BuilderBoy, CBpop, Citaltras, Comicwander, cooperway4, darkmark, Darwination, Dell4c, Fan777, Geo, Dave Hayward, Henry Peters, jimpy, JonTheScanner, KingFaraday, Kracalactaka, loftypilot, David Miles, movielover, narfstar, Ontology, OtherEric, paxman53, Prime user, Rez, srca1941, SteveD, tilliban, Titansfan, Twobyfour, Yoc

To see a complete list of all the JVJ Books on the site do a search for the term - JVJAnd if you'd like to see JVJ's first message that started it all back in 2008 try this link

---

Back in Sept we also debuted our wonderfully informative and All New WANTED COMICS List.  This list was spearheaded by Movielover and A Nonny Moose.  It's a list of over 5000 comics we are missing or would like to complete or upgrade for the DCM Collection.  It's particularly helpful for anyone out there shopping for comics that can't recall if a book has been scanned or not.  It's already paid off dividends for the site.  This list is a godsend for the sites and our hobby!  You can see the list here at this topic.

---

This past year brought some wonderful new scans to the site.  One I'm particularly proud of was the complete update of the Frank Thomas Eye and Owl collections that was debuted on FT's birthday Jan. 20th.  Revamped into a four volume Frank Thomas Archives with new text features by Josh P and Chris Beneke we added two additional volumes focusing on his other works for Centaur and on the funny animal feature Billy and Bonny Bee for Dell.  With the help of several others we were able to reach out and get help from FT's daughter Nancy who sent us several originals and wrote a memorial of her father that leads off the collections.  You can find the FT Archives in our Archives and Collections section.  Alter-Ego #151 coming in 2018 will cover feature Frank Thomas as well.

---

Back in April we were thrilled to finally get a scan of 'It Rhymes With Lust', considered by some as comics first modern graphic novel - 132pgs of black & white artwork by the master of Good-Girl art - Matt Baker!  We aren't sure who made the scans but we were given permission by Michael T. Gilbert to share an introduction he wrote for The Comics Journal when they reprinted Rhymes in #277.  You can read the intro here - http://tinyurl.com/kbt4uxh

---

In June we had a mini-flood of a notorious title in comics history.  True Crime Comics title got a big mention in Doc Wertham's 'Seduction of the Innocent' anti-comics propaganda book when he featured the 'needle in eye' motif from the all Jack Cole art in #2.  You can check them out here.   Our thanks to Soothsayr and a nonny moose for their work on this mini-flood.

On the topic of SOTI we should also say thanks to Fett for sharing his scan of another notorious crime book - Lawbreakers Suspense Stories 011 (Charlton Mar-1953).  You can read the book at this link!

---

And the scanner who has shared the second most new scans with us since we first started is freddyfly!  He's been busy the past year rescanning some of his earliest scans for us at a higher resolution.  Thanks so much for all your hard work Len!

---

New scanners this past year: aquaboy, ComicsCastle, Dave Noe, GHOSTINC, mcconnont, Paris-Fred, ybcguy714, Sholmes and tymimey
New editors - ancientonezero, and David Miles

---

Each year we stress how blessed we have been for our amazingly generous financial donors that deserve all our gratitude.  We wouldn't be here sharing these scans if it weren't for these financial donations that help pay our server bill each month.

And to all our scanners and editors.  Comics and scan donors - thank-you all for everything you do to make DCM the wonderful site it has become.

So go check out the special temporary Seventh Anniversary Gift Section now up here!

Here's to another great year!
-Yoc
 ^-^

Digital Comic Museum

It's our SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY!
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: It's our SEVENTH ANNIVERSARY!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »
Terrors of the Jungle #9 is seriously messed up.   It needs to be reloaded.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:38:10 AM »
Happy anniversary to us!

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
Happy anniversary to us!

I second that!!

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
The new Terrors is working.  Are more issues in the pipeline?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
Geo might have something up his sleeve for us.

-Yoc

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 12:03:39 AM »
I was happy to respond to the 7th Anniversary with a $ donation. I encourage anyone reading this to do the same. I cannot measure how much GAC / DCM (and Comicbook+) have meant to me. The discovery that so much of the Golden and Silver Age comics were now in the public domain and available online was simply mind-boggling. I've done some scanning from my own collection, too, but my support has been mostly financial. I've also archived and backed-up the bulk of DCM's scans, as I know all too well how online archives can suddenly disappear or fall prey to server problems.

My main point: I consider DCM part of my comic fan family and really appreciate all the hard work that goes into this site.

Carry on!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
Hi Poz,
Thanks so much for your very kind words!  It's for members such as yourself that we do this... and the cool scans!
:)