- +

Author Topic: Deep Cut References in Riverdale  (Read 2762 times)

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Deep Cut References in Riverdale
« on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
Sorry, guys, I know I've been spamming the board with topics lately, but I don't know anyone in real life who'd appreciate this. I've been watching the CW's Riverdale because it rips off Twin Peaks hard, and Twin Peaks is my favorite show of all time. It wasn't a show where I expected to pick up on a lot of comic book references, but so far the show has dropped two pretty good ones. In the first episode, as you're panning through the town of Riverdale, you notice that their local comic shop is called MLJ Comics. "Cool tribute," I thought, but I expected that to be it. Then in the second episode, they name dropped Madam Satan whose feature was dropped in Pep Comics to make way for Archie. That one impressed me because she's such an obscure character that I was probably only one of like ten people that picked up on it. Anyway, that's it. It's a pretty decent show. Not spectacular... but it rips-off Twin Peaks and occasionally references MLJ Comics, so... I like it.

Digital Comic Museum

Deep Cut References in Riverdale
« on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Deep Cut References in Riverdale
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
I haven't seen the second episode yet but I'll keep my eyes open for the Madam Satan mention.  I would have been one of those 10 people you mention.

-Yoc

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
I'm really glad I'm not alone.

Offline Netasha

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 06:33:52 AM »
I couldn't get into Twin Peaks when it aired so I have nothing to base the show on but I have become addicted to Riverdale on Netflix.

I saw a character/time frame error right off in the 1st episode. Even if they are putting my darling Archiekins and group into adult situations as is believable in 2017, I still cant understand why if Cheryl and her twin brother Jason are supposed to be the same age/grade as the rest of the gang then how was he dating Betty's sister Polly who has to be a few years older (and when will we meet her)?

They have also scrapped Jughead's appetite which has lead many a story line and even a few spin-off books in his own right. I hope that some of the quirks that make many of us still pick up that comic or digest at the grocery check out saying "Oh its for my grandkid' when you really cant wait to get home and crack it open are included and not let the series become too dark and confusing as I heard T. P. did leading to its cancellation.

I will continue to watch and I hope that this is not a 1 season take off as I would be very interested in watching further episodes, character developments and story lines of this PG14 live action series of a much loved comic.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:43:18 AM by Yoc »
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow. Grab on to Now!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »
Hi N,
I haven't watched last week's episode yet but other than being concerned/disgusted with the fake Ms Grundy being an unrepentant or prosecuted child molester and a fear for Betty's mental stability I'm enjoying the show and look forward to seeing how they develop Jughead who seems to be far more complex than we've seen so far.  An eating disorder might just be something in their plans for the future.  (Maybe he contracts a parasite and becomes a voracious eater with no discernible weight gain?  That's how I always saw Jughead and his appetite.  I like to think he's a distant relative of Popeye's Wimpy.)
There was an online review about Riverdale and Archie's dream of being a song writer.  They were very harsh on his abilities or devotion to the idea.  By the end I had to agree with them.  I haven't seen any evidence that Archie is anything more than an average talent for music.  If they want that to be believable they better come up with some better songs for him to write and or sing.
So far I've enjoyed the Lodges the most.  Veronica and mother are great fun.  But Betty's Mom, wow, can't stand her!

On other TV fronts, I know nothing about Marvel's Legion character but I'm really enjoying the tv show three episodes in.

Take care,
-Yoc

Offline misappear

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 07:16:58 AM »
What I like most about Riverdale is the deviations from both the older and newer versions of the comics characters.  If the show just presented the comics live, I'd probably ignore it in favor of the source material. A similar thing with iZomie, and the deviation from Allred's original series.  I absolutely love that show. Supergirl and The Flash not so much

The Twin Peaks influence is thick, for sure.  But there are more examples of a successful use of the "genre". Consider Blue Velvet, Fargo, and Napoleon Dynamite in there as well. All good I think. 

Like Yoc, (how does one actually pronounce Yoc?), I was initially a little creeped out by the Grundy sub plot, but it did reinforce two pieces of reality--We Americans have a huge double standard on male and female sexuality, and there are a whole lot of unprosecuted predators in the world who become even more emboldened by the willingness of people to just sweep away an event because of embarrassment or potential scandal. 

Offline Newt138

• DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:20:32 PM »
Being both a huge Archie and Twin Peaks fan I am loving Riverdale. Managed to get my girlfriend and our friends into the show. So now most Fridays we gather to watch the show. So far most of the casting has been great. The actress playing Veronica looks just like her. And I love how they adapted Jughead's crown.

Heard it has been picked up for a second season. I do wonder if they will solve the murder mystery from this season this year or wait until the second season.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »
Other than the Ms Grundy plot being breezed over at the end... unless she's brought back.... I've been enjoying it all in all.
I loved the retro 50s look they had recently for gag.  I'm stupid I guess but what does the S on Jughead's sweater stand for?

-Yoc
Short for Yocitrus - pronounced "Y, long-o, long-s"

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »
Squirrel Hill.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
Wha?

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 11:12:38 PM »
To be fair, the Madam Satan isn't quite as deep a cut as it would have been a couple years ago... they brought back the character in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina title.  Still cool, though.

https://www.comics.org/issue/1607344/cover/4/

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
Hey, the show just released this comic creator page https://riverdalecomiccreator.tumblr.com/

It's pretty simple and doesn't allow for much variation, but it's a neat little piece for anyone who has ever wanted to visit Riverdale.

The more I watch the show, the more I'm convinced that David Lynch is its main influence. The comparison to Blue Velvet is spot on. The actress playing Betty reminds me of the young Laura Dern in that film. Also, Betty had that weird schizo moment where her dark side came out and she called herself by her sister's name. That's very reminiscent of Laura Palmer's dual nature or how Donna's dark side would come out when she was wearing Laura's sunglasses in Twin Peaks. They seem to be drawing more from Lynch than the comics. Still, they did give Jughead the line about talking about things with Archie "over burgers," so the source material hasn't been completely abandoned.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
Season two and WOW have they gone even more dark. 
Ep 5 has The Black Hood (!) serial killer who killed the pedaphile Mrs Grundy a couple episodes back now blackmailing Betty; Jughead joining a biker gang; Archie brandishing a handgun; a date rape attempt on Cheryl Blossom and the one that blew my mind the most - Veronica and the Pussycat happily using some kind of Ecstasy type party drug!  Comics easter eggs include a copy of Mighty Comics renamed Red Circle, The Black Hood name being dragged through the mud, and an appearance by Hot Dog!  Yaa!
I'm watching it now mostly to see just how far they will go with the characters we all know and love from the comics.  There's not much left from the source material.  I'm shocked but I gotta admit I'm sorta liking it and haven't missed any yet.  Must be something in my water.  hehe.

-Yoc