General Category > Comic Related Discussion

Deep Cut References in Riverdale

(1/3) > >>

TheCosmicMoth:
Sorry, guys, I know I've been spamming the board with topics lately, but I don't know anyone in real life who'd appreciate this. I've been watching the CW's Riverdale because it rips off Twin Peaks hard, and Twin Peaks is my favorite show of all time. It wasn't a show where I expected to pick up on a lot of comic book references, but so far the show has dropped two pretty good ones. In the first episode, as you're panning through the town of Riverdale, you notice that their local comic shop is called MLJ Comics. "Cool tribute," I thought, but I expected that to be it. Then in the second episode, they name dropped Madam Satan whose feature was dropped in Pep Comics to make way for Archie. That one impressed me because she's such an obscure character that I was probably only one of like ten people that picked up on it. Anyway, that's it. It's a pretty decent show. Not spectacular... but it rips-off Twin Peaks and occasionally references MLJ Comics, so... I like it.

Yoc:
I haven't seen the second episode yet but I'll keep my eyes open for the Madam Satan mention.  I would have been one of those 10 people you mention.

-Yoc

TheCosmicMoth:
I'm really glad I'm not alone.

Netasha:
I couldn't get into Twin Peaks when it aired so I have nothing to base the show on but I have become addicted to Riverdale on Netflix.

I saw a character/time frame error right off in the 1st episode. Even if they are putting my darling Archiekins and group into adult situations as is believable in 2017, I still cant understand why if Cheryl and her twin brother Jason are supposed to be the same age/grade as the rest of the gang then how was he dating Betty's sister Polly who has to be a few years older (and when will we meet her)?

They have also scrapped Jughead's appetite which has lead many a story line and even a few spin-off books in his own right. I hope that some of the quirks that make many of us still pick up that comic or digest at the grocery check out saying "Oh its for my grandkid' when you really cant wait to get home and crack it open are included and not let the series become too dark and confusing as I heard T. P. did leading to its cancellation.

I will continue to watch and I hope that this is not a 1 season take off as I would be very interested in watching further episodes, character developments and story lines of this PG14 live action series of a much loved comic.

Yoc:
Hi N,
I haven't watched last week's episode yet but other than being concerned/disgusted with the fake Ms Grundy being an unrepentant or prosecuted child molester and a fear for Betty's mental stability I'm enjoying the show and look forward to seeing how they develop Jughead who seems to be far more complex than we've seen so far.  An eating disorder might just be something in their plans for the future.  (Maybe he contracts a parasite and becomes a voracious eater with no discernible weight gain?  That's how I always saw Jughead and his appetite.  I like to think he's a distant relative of Popeye's Wimpy.)
There was an online review about Riverdale and Archie's dream of being a song writer.  They were very harsh on his abilities or devotion to the idea.  By the end I had to agree with them.  I haven't seen any evidence that Archie is anything more than an average talent for music.  If they want that to be believable they better come up with some better songs for him to write and or sing.
So far I've enjoyed the Lodges the most.  Veronica and mother are great fun.  But Betty's Mom, wow, can't stand her!

On other TV fronts, I know nothing about Marvel's Legion character but I'm really enjoying the tv show three episodes in.

Take care,
-Yoc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version