- +

Author Topic: Superheroes in the Korean War?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Superheroes in the Korean War?
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
Hey, guys! I've spent the last four years teaching English in South Korea. As a result of that and my superhero comics obsessed brain, it got me thinking about how the war is barely represented in superhero comics. This is, of course, because the superhero genre had faded by the 1950's. I know that there are a few characters from the 50's that participated in the war: G.I. Joe, Captain Steve Savage, and Mr. Universe. I can't exactly remember if the 1950's Captain America ever got involved... Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone else has ever come across any superheroes or other comic characters that got involved in the Korean War.

Digital Comic Museum

Superheroes in the Korean War?
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: Superheroes in the Korean War?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 07:25:07 AM »
Wasn't it Korea where the Commies used the brain-washed Toro and the Human Torch rescued him.

Don't know if the Sub-Mariner actually went to Korea, but the 1950's version did fight some Communists.

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:45:47 AM »
Ah! Toro! It seems he was hit with an experimental communist spray by a gang of criminals and then they sold him to North Korea. This Wiki site pegs that to have happened in 1949 http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Raymond_(Earth-616). Apparently, it didn't work out, though, because Toro was back in action around '53. Not exactly fighting in the Korean War, but a cool bit of trivia. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:15:21 PM »
Not so's you'd notice it.  Cap, the Torch, and Subby came back after the armistice was signed.  Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman didn't much get involved after World War II.  The Blackhawks, whom you might have figured for shoo-ins, puttered around in fictional countries and fought generic Commies.  However...Captain Marvel DID fight Commies in Korea, and so did the Marvel Family!  So they weren't all slouches.

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »
Nice! I'll have to look through early 50's Whiz comics. I'm kind of glad to hear that. I love the Marvel family.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
PLASTIC MAN #38 also has a Korean War story.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »
Also, in 1954, after the cease-fire agreement had been signed, the Human Torch was "In Korea" in HUMAN TORCH #38, and Captain America ended up there in MEN'S ADVENTURES #28.

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
Wow, thanks! The Plastic Man story was interesting. I'll keep my eye out for the Timely comics. I remember finding one site that had them online to read.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »
In Doom Patrol 89 Elasti-Girl comes to the aid of a Korean War veteran who has been traumatized by his battle experiences.

Offline erikpsmith

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
One of the early Marvel Sgt. Fury annuals, published in the mid-60s, features a story in which the Howling Commandos advance from WWII to Korea. Nick Fury wins a battlefield commission and it sets the stage for the SHIELD stories, set in the present-day 1960s.

I'm not sure if you would consider the Howling Commandos superheroes, but they're definitely heroes.