Help and Support > DCM Help

Covering the Coverless

(1/1)

LexiD523:
I'm working on scanning in some issues of Hit Comics I've acquired this past year--all ones that are currently only available as fiche scans--and most of of them are coverless. Rather than just reuse the fiche covers, I was wondering if it's acceptable to use cover scans from other sources (mainly Heritage Auctions). In general, copies and scans that are meant to show exactly what something looks like (i.e. no substantial extra creativity went into creating them) are not themselves copyrightable, so there's no legal reason not to*, I'm just wondering if there's some kind of etiquette against it. And I'd still reuse the fiche scans of the inner covers for completion's sake.

*Yes I am sure about this, I am an IP attorney. No, the fact that HA marks their scans with a copyright legend has no legal effect. Just thought I'd get that out of the way in case anyone was about to question it.

movielover:
Go right ahead. We do anyway. Just put in the description scanned from a coverless with front cover from HAG. Back cover also if they have one.

LexiD523:
Great, thanks!

JonTheScanner:
There are many scans here with front covers from Heritage with no indication of such.  There are many inside front cover, inside back covers, and back covers taken from other issues when the proper ad can be identified from fiche or by "mirror" reading the show through from the other side with no indication of such.

I know as I've done lots of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version