- +

Author Topic: DCM/CB+ Veterans/Remembrance Day Military Comics Mini-Flood 2016  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
DCM/CB+ Veterans/Remembrance Day Military Comics Mini-Flood 2016
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner39-Rememberace-Day.gif
The background of this banner is from two panels contained in the 'Fragments from France' book found in the Misc. section.
-Fragments from France (Putnam 1917)

This message was written by Kracalactaka (Brian)

Veteran’s Day in the US, Remembrance Day in Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and the rest of the British Commonwealth. Originally called Armistice Day to mark the end of WWI it has since been expanded to acknowledge the sacrifices our soldiers have made in defense of freedom not only in these countries, but many others as well. As a veteran myself I feel a bond of brotherhood with not only all who have worn my country’s uniform, but also those who have done so for their own nations. There is no nobler endeavor than to put on the uniform and stand between your nation and those who would harm it.

Every Veterans’ Day I think of fallen comrades. Young men in the prime of life with nick-names like Beaker, Pogo, Vinny & Beav. This Nov 11 my thoughts also go to the WWII veterans, very few are still with us now and we owe them much. The world is by far not a perfect place, but I think their sacrifice laid the foundation for making it better. Not only the Allied troops but also the countless (very) young men who were drafted into service in Germany, Italy & Japan and lost their lives too. Germany, Italy & Japan are free nations today, a freedom that is built on the blood shed by both sides. We who are the benefactors of these past sacrifices should honor them not only with remembrance, but also with deed by earning that sacrifice in our daily lives by being honest, forthright & compassionate in our professional and personal lives.

Military service is difficult and dangerous, even in peacetime. Military men & women do extraordinary things under trying conditions, risking their life & health, on a daily basis. So when you meet veterans, please thank them for their service, they probably endured much more than their outward appearance would imply.

Kracalactaka (Brian)
SGT USMC ’87-‘93 & US Army ’94-‘99

Digital Comic Museum

DCM/CB+ Veterans/Remembrance Day Military Comics Mini-Flood 2016
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Veteran’s Day / Remembrance Day Flood 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:04:43 PM »
The Comics:

We have a selection of Gold and Silver Age books on tap. Some are the typical war comics like Farrell’s War Stories and Charlton’s Fightin’ Army.  There are also some rare old gems like Bet Your Boots and other military humor pamphlet style books. There are some JVJ books and even a Romance book snuck its way into this rough and tumble batch of comics.

Most of the books on tap for this mini-flood are post-1960 and they have been posted on Comic Book Plus: http://comicbookplus.com/

I’d like to thank all the contributors who have helped me get this event together with their scans and edits:

Titansfan, Soothsayr, Dell4C, a nonny moose, Yoc, Dave Hayward, CBpop, bluejeff, narfstar, Rangerhouse and comicwanderer have all pitched in. And thanks to all the admins on both sites who keep everything running.

Enjoy the comics,
Kracalactaka!

Now up -
Battle Squadron 004 [StanleyMorse1955] -Kracalactaka.cbz
Battle Stories 18 [IWSuper1964] -Kracalactaka+CBpop.cbz
Bet Your Boots (Victoria Publishing1948) -Sooth+Krac.cbz
Fightin Marines 29 [Charlton1959] -Titansfan.cbz
Fightin Navy 081 [Charlton1958] -Titansfan.cbz
Fighting Yank 009 [Nedor 1944] -Sooth+a nonny moose.cbz
Off We Go (Victoria Publishing 1953) Soothsayr+Kracalactaka.cbz
Real Life Comics 034 (diff ver)(Nedor1946) JVJ-RH-Kracalactaka.cbz
Romantic Adventures 026 (ACG Oct-1952) -Kracalactaka-DaveH.cbz
War Planes 01 (c2c) [Dell 1942] -Sooth.cbr
War Stories 04 [Ajax1953]-c2c -Kracalactaka+Yoc.cbz
Wings Comics 124 (diff ver)[FH 1954] -Kracalactaka+CBpop.cbz

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: DCM/CB+ Veterans/Remembrance Day Military Comics Mini-Flood 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »
Thanks to Brian, and all the others involved, for this commemorative mini-flood.

This morning my son and I attended a thank you breakfast for all veterans hosted by regional grocery chain Hy-Vee. There we met random other veterans of all U.S. military branches. We can talk easily with them all, no matter where or when we all served. There are always some things we have in common.

One couple sat down across the table from us. He'd, among other things, served as a Peacekeeper in the Sinai. She had served at Walter Reed, which happens to be where I was born. My son spoke briefly about his experiences in Bosnia and Iraq, plus his civilian trip to the Holy Land. That kept the conversation going until we had to leave. As I said, some things in common.

If you are ever in our home town, Kansas City, please consider visiting the Liberty Memorial. The Memorial, built by public subscription, houses the official U.S. World War One Museum. https://www.theworldwar.org AFAIK, it is the only major museum devoted exclusively to The War To End All Wars in North America.

Thank you, to all who have served…

Robert Kennedy
U.S. Regular Army & Missouri Army National Guard (Retired)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »
Thanks K.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
Thanks Yoc for a great looking Veteran's day banner and to Brian and all of the other scanners and editors that brought us the flood of books saluting the sacrifice veterans have made in the past and are doing today. It's good to remember our history.

A salute to all of those who have and are serving their country. Thank You...

Ed

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
Thanks for sharing Bob.
Oh, I'd love to have a look around that Liberty Memorial building!

Take care,
-Yoc

If you are ever in our home town, Kansas City, please consider visiting the Liberty Memorial. The Memorial, built by public subscription, houses the official U.S. World War One Museum. https://www.theworldwar.org AFAIK, it is the only major museum devoted exclusively to The War To End All Wars in North America.

Thank you, to all who have served…

Robert Kennedy
U.S. Regular Army & Missouri Army National Guard (Retired)

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:07:18 PM »
I was away for a week and then had to work on Veterans Day, so I totally missed this mini-flood. Catching up now. What a great gesture, and nice to see the cooperation between DCM and CB+ as well. You guys rock!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
BTW, it should be said that Kracalactaka here was the man behind this Veteran's Day idea.
So thanks K!

:D

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »
Thanks Yoc and everyone else

and I guess you could consider this a late entry for the flood

a new clean/upgraded version of GI Sweethearts 45

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=29069

And it is very much alive and ready for downloading, thanks K.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time