developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: The WANTED COMICS List  (Read 48927 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
Re: The WANTED COMICS List
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
Sounds fine Moose.
I'm a bit confused on the JVJon renaming.  Could you tell me file size and new name for each?

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »
I personally don't think matching the GCD naming in this case is helpful.  All the indicia says in the actual books (and I'm actually checking the physical books here for the magazine size version of the 1st #2, and the 2nd #2) is

Vol. 1 No. 2                 3-D Comics                               Oct. 1953
Vol. 1 No. 2                 3-D Comics                               November 1953

My suggestion for naming would be something like

Tor (3-D Comics) 2a (October)
Tor (3-D Comics) 2b (November)

I don't like using 2a and 2b for the different versions of the first #2 for a few reasons; starting with the fact I don't think anybody knows for sure which of the two versions, if either, released first.  They are editorially identical other than the trim size.  It also makes it seem like there is either 1 or 3 issues worth of content, when in reality there are two.

On the plus side:  If for some reason people feel we still need a scan of the magazine-sized version of the first #2, I do have a copy and can scan it.

Offline Snard

• DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
Since DCM links to and displays the GCD information for each book, I think it is inconsistent (and confusing) for the November book to be named 002B in the description, while the GCD text calls it #2 [c]. But maybe it's just me who finds this inconsistent.  I've also noticed that Lone Star is using the GCD numbering/naming for the books they have for sale.

But I will let OtherEric and Yoc decide how to name them. By the way, I have already removed these books from the wanted list, since we appear to have scans of the relevant content.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 05:58:10 PM »
I don't think a new scan is needed if the two are identical otherwise.

Eric, could you please take charge of renaming these and having the GCD # pointing to the proper version?  You know far more about the books than I do.

Thanks!
-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 12:54:13 AM »
I have updated the listings.  They all now point to the correct GCD listings.  For titles, I went with Tor 002 (10/1953) and Tor 002 (11/1953), to avoid the a/b/c confusion with the GCD, and with Tor rather than 3-D comics to match Overstreet and, honestly, how people normally refer to them.  I also added notes to the issues explaining the specifics of each issue as best I could.  I will stand by the accuracy of my notes, but would appreciate people checking them for clarity.  Let me know if this works for everybody.

Thank you for updating the list, a nonny moose.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 12:55:27 AM »
One final note:  I highly encourage anybody who hasn't to read the series, it features some amazing artwork by Kubert and others.

Offline Snard

• DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 02:27:24 AM »
I have updated the listings.  They all now point to the correct GCD listings.  For titles, I went with Tor 002 (10/1953) and Tor 002 (11/1953), to avoid the a/b/c confusion with the GCD, and with Tor rather than 3-D comics to match Overstreet and, honestly, how people normally refer to them.  I also added notes to the issues explaining the specifics of each issue as best I could.  I will stand by the accuracy of my notes, but would appreciate people checking them for clarity.  Let me know if this works for everybody.

Thank you for updating the list, a nonny moose.

You're very welcome. As long as we are updating the titles/descriptions, I noticed one other thing that should probably be amended. The book titled "Tor 002 (10/1953) (in 3D)(diff ver) -fixed" should mention that the scan is incomplete; it is missing the inside front and and inside back covers. Also, I think the back cover that is included is the wrong page. (It is different than the one on the JVJon scan). From cover scans I have seen on eBay and Heritage, I am pretty sure that the two October versions have the same back cover.

Offline beanlynch

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 05:41:09 PM »
I just uploaded my scans of Tell It To The Marines #3 but it was a zip file, not a cbz file. I don't know if the mods can change it. This is my first time uploading a file to this site and I was excited to see I had a comic that wasn't available yet. I did clean up the scans a little by adjusting the levels and channels but I tried to avoid doing much that would affect the integrity of the original source.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Thank very much BL and welcome to the scanners ranks!

There were only a couple things that you need to know for any future uploads you might do.
Check our FAQ under Question 11 - uploading to DCM.
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1810.0.html

You did everything fine except your jpg names don't play nice with the site (using just two digit numbered files works best) and creating Zip files on a Mac adds a unique folder called [_MacOS] and a file called '.DS_Store' which aren't good for some comic reading apps.  We have suggestions for how to avoid these in the FAQ.

But don't worry, I've quickly corrected the file and uploaded it again so all is good with your First Scan!  Your jpgs were untouched doing this.

Thanks so much for all your work sharing this book with everyone!  :D
-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 02:28:08 AM »
To echo what Yoc said, thank you and welcome to the scanner ranks! 

Offline beanlynch

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »
I'll check out those links before I upload anything else. Unfortunately I don't have any issues that are jumping out at me that aren't listed already although there are a few I have higher grade and cleaner copies of. My collection of Golden-Age comics is pretty limited but I'm taking more and more of an interest, particularly in certain artists such as Matt Baker, LB Cole, Jack Sparling (etc, etc the list keeps growing). Some of this material the only affordable way of reading is on this site. Thanks for making it available!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »
Hi BL,
You'll find a lot of hidden gems on the site.  The artists you've named are very cool.
We always welcome upgrades or larger scans of books already on the site.

Take care and have fun finding new goodies on the site.  Let us know what you think in the comments as well.

-Yoc

Offline hufflepuffle

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »
Need to update some of your Fawcett titles as the Gift Comics were scanned by Larry Talbot this spring of 2019.
The WB copyright issues should either be mentioned or updated if they're on there like some of the Master Comics.

The Fox Blue Beetles should be updated as well. Blue Beetle #32 was scanned by me, although missing an internal back page.

Blue Beetle #47 was digital photos but complete. Blue Beetle #51 was completed with fill scans. Blue Beetle#34 was completed with fill scans.

Just some of the scans that should be updated on your list. 

Cheers. Huffle

Offline Snard

• DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 04:38:24 AM »
Thanks for the updates hufflepuffle. I've made the following changes:
  • Gift #1 is removed from the list
  • Blue Beetle #32 is changed from Unscanned to Incomplete
  • Blue Beetle #47 is changed from Unscanned to Upgrade
  • Blue Beetle #51 is changed from Incomplete to Upgrade, as most of the pages are only 800 wide
  • Blue Beetle #34 is removed from the list
Thank you again for the updates.

Offline hufflepuffle

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 11:20:58 AM »
You could also remove Target volume 1 #7 from the unscanned list to imcomplete. It's up on the site.

I have a few more never scanned that I plan to try and post in coming week or two. I think a few of the Wotalifes are floating around out there.