developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: A Brilliant Basil Wolverton Bonanza!  (Read 9503 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
A Brilliant Basil Wolverton Bonanza!
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner28-Mystic-Moot-animated-ver-2.gif

Hi Gang
DCM is proud to host new scans from SteveD of several issues of Fawcett's Comic Comics - each featuring the wacky humour of Basil Wolverton!
Steve has also produced an Amazing collection of The Complete Mystic Moot by Wolverton with a very indepth introduction that is well worth your time.

Take it away Steve...

-------
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/Basil_wolverton photo.jpg
The COMPLETE MYSTIC MOOT AND HIS MAGIC SNOOT: AN INTRODUCTION by SteveD.

Fawcett Publications really had it all going for them. By 1946, aside from being a very successful magazine publisher, they had a comic book division that was giving industry-leader DC Comics a real run for their money, often outselling DCs primary character Superman with their own Captain Marvel; some would say Fawcett actually had the better stories, and the better character.

What else Fawcett had was Basil Wolverton.

By the Spring of 1946 this unique creator, who had already proved himself with singular features such as Spacehawk for Novelty Press and Powerhouse Pepper and Flap Flipflop, the Flying Flash for Timely had joined the Fawcett talent roster with his equally unique strip The Culture Corner in the publisher’s flagship WHIZ COMICS, and, in Fawcett’s relatively new title IBIS THE INVINCIBLE, spun out from a backup feature in WHIZ, Wolverton introduced what was at the time—and remains today-- a rarity in the comics medium: a parody of the title character appearing in the character’s own book. That character was Mystic Moot and His Magic Snoot, and for an all-too brief time the character appeared in Ibis and in Fawcett’s brief-lived humor anthology COMIC COMICS in little four-page story-gems that featured everything that Basil Wolverton did well in his humorous comics, and then the character vanished like the mystical magician he was, never to appear again.

Collected here for the first time anywhere are ALL of Wolverton’s magnificent Mystic Moot missives,  from clean, high-grade all-paper scans, in chronological order, with a funny, exhaustive and fascinating introductory essay by SteveD. who compiled the collection primarily from his own books. We also have every issue of IBIS and COMIC COMICS that Moot appeared in, in their entirety (or almost in their entirety, one issue of Comic Comics remains incomplete as of this writing but there’s Moot there for you [If anyone reading this owns #3 PLEASE consider scanning it or letting a DCM staffer scan it for you!]) for your perusal, download and enjoyment. So let’s look back with disdain on DCs destructive lawsuit of Fawcett that put them out of the funny-book business, because we have here one of the prime cuts from the Fawcett farm that remains even today a savoury and tasty repast for any comics aficionado.

-SteveD

-------

You can find lots more Wolverton on DCM in the following links:

BingBang Buster by Wolverton Collection (Lev Gleason)
Culture Corner by Basil Wolverton, The Complete (Fawcett)
Spacehawk in Target Comics Vol 1 #5 to Vol 3 #10 and Vol 4 #6
Space Patrol in Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol 2 #12; #18 ; Vol 3 #19 to 24
Meteor Martin in Amazing Man #25, 26
Scoop Scuttle in Daredevil Comics #12-20, 22; Horse Feathers 001; Silver Streak Comics #20, 21 ; Captain Battle, Jr. #2 and Candy Comics (Wm. H. & Wise) #1-3.
From Here To Insanity v3 001
Dramatic stories in Mister Mystery #7, 11, 18.
Weird Chills 001 (1954)
Weird Mysteries #1 to 5
Weird Tales of The Future #2, 3, 4, 5, 7  (lots of Wolverton in these)

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/forum message pictures/Basil Logo from SteveD.jpg

Digital Comic Museum

A Brilliant Basil Wolverton Bonanza!
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline ejpetrie

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: A Brilliant Basil Wolverton Bonanza!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 04:16:53 PM »
This is a really great collection, Steve, and a great intro to boot!  As much as I thought the first cover choice was just fine, I do agree that it makes a better index and that the new one is far superior.  And I should add that the announcement banner is really nice too.  The little animated image of Wolverton's hero made me smile when it winked at me!  Good job everyone!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:11:35 AM »
Thanks Josh.
It made a nice follow up to our Jumbo debut didn't it?
;)

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 07:23:30 AM »
Excellent Job, all round... Steve and Yoc.  Really enjoy the introduction/history and the banner. 
Ed

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
Thanks, all. I've been thrilled by the overall response (even as the perfectionist in me cringes at some uncorrected awkward sentences... If only this was the worst problem to have...) and confess it was great fun to do, which I hope shows. I'll admit the JUMBO mother-lode really inspired me, as has the work I've seen go into several of the other Archive/Collections DCM proudly carries. Thanks to Yoc for his masterfully animated banner as well.

More to come, as time permits...