- +

Author Topic: Colossus Comics #1  (Read 10465 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Colossus Comics #1
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
If nobody objects to something in it I will add this as a txt file within the cbz file later this week.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline mopee167

• DCM Member
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
Hi Chris:

Per your suggestion I searched for Jan Janecek without any luck.

There were several listings for John Janecek, but too many to narrow it down.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:37:15 AM by mopee167 »

Offline mopee167

• DCM Member
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
Found this on Ancestry.com:

John Janecek in the 1940 Census. Age: 62, born abt 1878. Birthplace: Illinois. Gender: Male.
Race: White. Home in 1940: River Forest Twp, Cook County, Illinois. Household Members.
Head: Floyd Strickland, 49. Wife: Mildred Strickland, 45. Daughter: Ruth Strickland, 10. Son:
Judson Strickland, 5. Brother: John Janecek, 62.

Can't say if this is the Jan Janáček we are looking for, but it occurs to me that Judson Strickland
may still be among the living and may be able to shed some light on this. Or maybe not.

Offline Mr. Izaj

• DCM Member
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
Makes me wonder what everyone here thought of my introduction?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Hi Izaj,
Your intro is a lively read that covered a lot of ground.  I just corrected a couple typos on Wiest's name for you.

Darwination has some more info on Sun Pubs he said he would add here once he had a chance to find his copy of another girlie pulp Sun published called 'LuLu'.

Thanks for all your work on this and thank-you to everyone who has dug into the history of this book.  I could only hope for such a positive reaction to such an obscure comic.  There's another surprise coming down the road that I'm equally, if not more, exited about eventually debuting on DCM.  That's all I'm going to say for now.

-Yoc

Offline chrisbeneke

• DCM Member
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2015, 07:35:49 AM »
Hi all,

I thought Mr. I's intro was a pretty concise consolidation of this forum's findings about Colossus and its creators, though I thought his timeline was a little DC/Marvel heavy and Centaur/Fox light.

If not for Bernie Wiest's bold storytelling on the Colossus story, I might not have been curious about him. The way he uses the panels to dramatize the giant's expansion and size is really great: a natural, intuitive exploitation of this medium's capabilities.

That Colossus seems to be his only comic book credit is a shame.

But most of the other contributors to Colossus seem to count this comic (and Sun's Sun Fun Komiks?) as their only comic book work.

Anyway, I poked through some postings on DCM's faceb**k page (it IS a dirty word!) to confirm for myself that Colossus was a standard-sized Golden Age comic, since that tidbit hadn't been explicitly shared here, and I think I saw a preview for the upcoming scan that has Yoc so excited....

It will be cool, but I'm a little disappointed that a copy of Sun Fun Komiks hasn't shaken out of the ether yet...

Thanks for the free comics,

Chris