developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: New to GA Comics - Suggested Reading List for newbies...  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
New to GA Comics - Suggested Reading List for newbies...
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:46 AM »
Hi Gang,
We occasionally got new members who have never seen a GA comic before!
Yes, shocking but remember we were all newbies to comics at some point.
Others might be looking for DC or Marvel books which they wont find.  They're going to need some help as well.
I can understand some might be overwhelmed by all the choices.

So for those people that are newbies, what would you suggest they start reading first?

How about listing the publisher,/title and what is special about them so new members can find them easier.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

New to GA Comics - Suggested Reading List for newbies...
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:46 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Newbies to GA Comics - Suggested Reading List for...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
To get the ball rolling on this topic.

If you are new to the site and comics please remember that DCM can only host comics that ARE in the Public Domain.
You wont find DC, Marvel, Tarzan or Dick Tracy on the site.  We've got a topic here on what isn't on the site if you want to check it here -
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1806.0.html

But even with those rules we still have an amazing collection of wonderful material to read here on the site!

If you have no idea where to start I suggest you start reading some of the files in the DCM Archives and Collections section of the site.

In here you will find characters or artists that others felt were strong enough to be collected into member made collections.  There is a great selection to choose from and I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy there.

Artists there include Frank Frazetta, Matt Baker, Jack Cole, Reed Crandall, The Black Dwarf, Bill Everett, Fletcher Hanks, Hydroman, Jack Kirby, Sheldon Mayer, Joe Maneely, Klaus Nordling, Phantom Lady, Bob Powell, Mike Sekowsky, Torchy, Walt Kelly, Basil Wolverton,

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: New to GA Comics - Suggested Reading List for newbies...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
I'd try Captain Marvel, Daredevil, Boy Comics, Blue Bolt (early issues), Doll Man, Spirit, Police, Plastic Man, and anything else that strikes your fancy.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: New to GA Comics - Suggested Reading List for newbies...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:13:24 AM »
I'll second Darkmark about the original Captain Marvel, known today as SHAZAM. But do not ignore the rest of the Fawcett Comics line. I especially recommend the title Master Comics.

DM recommends Novelty's Blue Bolt Comics. Personally I prefer their Target Comics. DCM is closing in on a complete set of Target.

DCM can't host Harvey's Green Hornet stories themselves. However, the Hornet's backup features are well worth a look. Lots of excellent Bob Powell and early Joe Kubert art in that title.

Want to see where Marvel's various versions of the Ghost Rider started out? Look no farther than Magazine Enterprises' Tim Holt comics where the western Ghost Rider started as a backup feature before getting his own title and appearing in other M.E. westerns like Best of the West & Bobby Benson.

And these aren't the tip of the iceberg. Heck, they're barely an ice cube.