- +

Author Topic: Charles Voight...  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Calamity Jon

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Charles Voight...
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
Hey all,

I'm trying to identify the collaborator on a couple of stories for which Charles Voight (Betty, Jeep and Peep, Boom Boom Brannigan) seems to have provided the inks. Comics.org identifies Voight as a contributor, but with a question mark in all of these instances. Nothing about the pencils stands out to me, I just don't see a familiar style in there. Any ideas?

First up: Dr.Styx (Treasure Comics No.4). Voight's expressive, gestural linework is on display, but the figures lack his casual stage-setting. Here's the first three pages of the story...

Digital Comic Museum

Charles Voight...
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »

Offline Calamity Jon

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Charles Voight...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »
The other one is the inaugural "Boom Boom Brannigan" tale from Prize Comics No.47. "Branningan" was one of Voight's signature titles, along with "Sir Prize" and "Teeny McSweeny," but this first tale seems stiffly unfamiliar. Voight had been working as a professional illustrator for more than forty years at this point, and had helmed a popular Sunday strip since 1920, so you'd expect that his style would burst from the page. This one might have a layout artist working in pencils, which would see Voight inking. Here are some example pages:

Offline Calamity Jon

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 02:12:37 PM »
Thanks in advance!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »
Hi CJ,
thanks for you posts here.  While I'm not an art spotter but Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr (JVJ) is one of the most respected in the hobby.  He and his sadly now passed compatriot Hames Ware took a look at Treasure #4 and shared their opinions on who did what in the issue on the last pages of our scan of the book.
You can read it at THIS LINK:
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=16997&page=54&nav=top

You can see Giunta with a question mark which means they weren't 100% sure on it but it is their best guess.

Hey all,

I'm trying to identify the collaborator on a couple of stories for which Charles Voight (Betty, Jeep and Peep, Boom Boom Brannigan) seems to have provided the inks. Comics.org identifies Voight as a contributor, but with a question mark in all of these instances. Nothing about the pencils stands out to me, I just don't see a familiar style in there. Any ideas?

First up: Dr.Styx (Treasure Comics No.4). Voight's expressive, gestural linework is on display, but the figures lack his casual stage-setting. Here's the first three pages of the story...

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »
Hi CJ,
JVJ and Hames didn't index #47 but they did do both the issues before and after.
You can see their index cards here:
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=19195&page=54&nav=top

And here:
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=19197&page=54&nav=top

I hope that helps.
-Yoc

The other one is the inaugural "Boom Boom Brannigan" tale from Prize Comics No.47. "Branningan" was one of Voight's signature titles, along with "Sir Prize" and "Teeny McSweeny," but this first tale seems stiffly unfamiliar. Voight had been working as a professional illustrator for more than forty years at this point, and had helmed a popular Sunday strip since 1920, so you'd expect that his style would burst from the page. This one might have a layout artist working in pencils, which would see Voight inking. Here are some example pages:

Offline Calamity Jon

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »
You, thank you so much! Baily makes perfect sense as the penciller, and this is tremendous help. I'll take a closer look at the brushwork and see if I can confirm Voight, Giunta or someone else, thanks again, and many thanks to JVJ and Hames.

Offline Electricmastro

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 01:26:45 AM »
As far as I had been able to gather for his Prize work, Voight drew for Boom Boom Brannigan, Sir Prize, and Atomic Man in Prize Comics #48-66 and Headline Comics #16-18. I don’t think he drew for Dr. Styx though.