developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Joe Maneely at Charlton  (Read 4030 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Joe Maneely at Charlton
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »
So, somebody edited the page at the GCD for Wyatt Earp, Frontier Marshall 21:

http://www.comics.org/issue/171783/

and changed the three Maneely stories to Tony Tallarico, commenting that the Maneely credit was "obviously incorrect".

Now, I know the three stories are by Maneely; JVJ identified them when I first posted the book, and they're in the "Maneely at Charlton" collection I did that I know has been seen by other experts on the subject for years without any complaints.  However, I am hesitant to go change the page back without some reference I can point to, because I don't want a "person a says/ person b says" scenario.  My search fu is weak today, and I can't find the original thread where Jim ID'd the stories.  And I don't want to reference my own collection of the Maneely stories; as that's just me quoting myself.  So, 3 ways people could help me:

1) Somebody else go edit the page. If it's anybody but myself then referencing the Maneely at Charlton collection is actually using something as a legit source:

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=15913

2) Somebody with better search fu finds the original posts where JVJ identifies the stories, then I can refer back to that post when editing.

3) Jim (or some other expert) vouches for the three stories in this thread, at which point I can refer back here when editing.

Of course, the alternative is to inform me that I was wrong and deluded when I included the three stories in the collection; and accept the edit at the GCD.  I can edit the book instead if that's the consensus.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Digital Comic Museum

Joe Maneely at Charlton
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Joe Maneely at Charlton
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
Hi Eric,
DocV included that issue in his Maneely at Charlton list.
Check this message # at the Timely-Atlas group - #27366
It was from way back in Jun 25, 2011!

I think this is all of it:

Mar/58Rocky Lane's BLACK JACK #22
Mar/58COWBOY WESTERN #67
Mar/58WYATT EARP #20

Apr/58TEX RITTER #40

May/58LASH LARUE WESTERN #68

July/58 SIX-GUN WESTERN Vol 4, #47

Sept/58 WYATT EARP #21

Nov/58WYATT EARP #22

Apr/59OUTLAWS OF THE WEST (western vignettes around main cover image)

June/79 GUNFIGHTERS #53 [reprint from Six-Gun Heroes Vol 4, #47)

Doc V.

This is one of my favourite archives!
-Yoc

jrvandore

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
Yes, the change was incorrect GCD form.  Whenever someone changes an art attribution, he should leave a note.

Eric, with your change, you should have a note saying something like this:

Original Maneely credit previously changed to Tony Tallarico, but Maneely credit supported by Michael J. Vassalo and Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.

--Jim

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Thank you both.  Stealing your suggested line verbatim.

Offline WiscPackRat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
Interesting art identification story here. I am not the expert at identification I have seen in other people, but the Maneely stories are so obvious, even with the rushed inking he did on the Charlton stuff he was being paid much less for. And there s a Tallarico story in there that looks totally different. Maneely is one of my favorites over at Atlas in the 1950's, I love seeing his work.

Thanks for this posting, as it sent me to the Charlton book in question. Wow... a couple of Severin tales and three Maneely stories. Nice book.