developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Sep 2014 - a special Labour Day A&C Flood  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Sep 2014 - a special Labour Day A&C Flood
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/A+C Flood Circle -final small.jpg
Hi Gang!
We're pleased to present today a special Laobur Day Flood of Abbott & Costello!
Featuring the art of husband and wife team Eric Peters and Lily Renee as well as some with art by Mort Drucker.

Many thanks to all involved -
JVJ, Soothsayr, movielover and little ol me.

I hope everyone enjoys the goodies,
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Sep 2014 - a special Labour Day A&C Flood
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
Re: Sep 2014 - a special Labour Day A&C Flood
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:07 AM »
A great special - and a especially great logo to go with!
 :)
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
Thanks Yoc!

I noticed all these new A&C scans over at CB+ and just had to come over here to let you all know they're much appreciated.  I always enjoyed those old A&C movies as a kid, and I found their TV show was pretty good too.  So now after all these years it's nice to see their comic book as well, particularly all those early issues with the great Renee and Peters artwork.  

And yes, great logo!  :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
Hehehe, thanks for all the kind words D.  And nice avatar too!
:)

I was more of a Laurel and Hardy guy growing up but I certainly could appreciate A&C at their best.
'Who's On First' is a classic!

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:36 AM »
Hey Yoc.  

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of L&H when I was a kid... nor the Stooges for that matter.  But I have come to appreciate them more in recent years.  Their old film shorts (those old movie show fillers that last about twenty minutes or so) seem to pop up a lot on TV these days, and they're surprisingly good... they really have held up well, or perhaps they're just right for the times... who knows really.  Same thing with the Marx Brothers.

As for the Stooges, I've always found their stuff hit and miss.  They have some really brilliant slapstick pieces, but I can't see myself sitting through a whole daylong marathon of their material.  Same thing with a few of A&C's movies as well, but perhaps this is only because I've seen them so many times over the years.  But I do still feel A&C's TV show is a real gem, they're perfect for that quick pace, half-hour format for some reason.  Even when they recycle some of their old stuff I don't mind, it seems to have a real vibrancy to it.  Perhaps the half-hour pacing of the material there is closer to their old vaudevillian roots.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: humour teams
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Hi D,
You know one that I've always loved from day one was Our Gang.  I grew up mostly seeing the Spanky era with a sprinkling of the Mickey era.  Much later I learned of the series roots back in the 20s and got to see some.  They have a charm and history to them that I really enjoy - despite their occasional politically incorrect content.  Learning the fate of some of the kids was a bit of a shock.  Here's a link you might find interesting on this - http://tinyurl.com/qcs3kuj

The earlier works of The Marx Bros and L&H are usually the better before formulas took hold and studios influences got to strong.  The L&H shorts were much better than their movies IMO.  I agree the Three Stooges in limited amounts had some good moments.  The Curly era more so than the others.  One I never understood the appeal for though was Bob Hope and Bing.  I've never been a musical fan so all the singing turned me off.

-Yoc

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:51 AM »
I want to add my thanks to Yoc for the St John's A&C flood . Once again I've received an education of a golden age comic.  My only exposure to Abbott & Costello was the Charlton comics and Yoc's flood has opened up a new appreciation for the “good girl” art of Renee' and Peters. I'll start a re read of the Fiction House with an eye for Renee' art.

I agree with Drusilla,  the A&C routines are best done in small amounts.  The classics such as  “Whose on First” and “Slowly I Turn” are still enjoyable, even to our teen-age grand kids.  The transition to TV was a success but it was a shame to see the team disappear due to a back taxes problem.

I grew up on the Hal Roach “Our Gang” shorts from the movies and early TV and the Spanky and gang were my favorites.  The later MGM “Our Gang” were better polished and staged, but lacked the “kid charm” the early shorts had. MGM's use of the “formula” format watered the series down which really turned me off of the series.

As for the 3 stooges, it's an acquired taste  :D

By the way, the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention will have Abbott and Costello celebrity impersonators at the event.  The  event is being held in Hunt Valley, Maryland from the 18th to 20th of September 2014.  Maybe some DCM fans will be there... look up the Solar Guard display and say hi.

Ed

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
Glad you like them Ed.  As you read these you might be as surprised as I was when Lily stops working with Peters and his artwork becomes much looser, less polished.  Sorta like Drucker would do in his issues.  The earlier Renee/Peters books are my favourites.

Have fun at the convention!
-Yoc