- +

Author Topic: Exact Date of Publication for Whiz Comics #1 (Ashcan covers) and Whiz Comics #2  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Carl Shinyama

• DCM Member
Hello all! This is my first post here. My name is Carl Shinyama and I am the site owner of Shazam Movie Fan Page. I am planning a series of special articles celebrating the character on his birthday with a pretty in-depth look at his history. However, all I can find on the exact publication dates were that the Ashcan covers were published in late 1939 and that Whiz Comics #2 was published in February of 1940. I figure that coming here, there would more likely be some Golden Age historians, and that this is probably my best shot to get help in pointing me in the right direction. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,

Carl

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
GCD gives a Jan. 1940 date here -
http://www.comics.org/series/11513/

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
Mike's Amazing World of Comics shows the first issue of Whiz Comics as on sale December 1, 1939.

Offline Carl Shinyama

• DCM Member
Thank you both so much! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Offline mr_goldenage (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Keltner's Index gives it 1/1940 so be it.

Mr_Goldenage
Richard D. Boucher (12.14.1955 - 4.15.2018)
Mr_Goldenage

Offline atoyman

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
In the book Fawcett Companion edited by P.C. Hamerlinck, Roscoe Fawcett (son of owner of Fawcett Publications that published Whiz Comics) said he distributed promotional material for Whiz Comics in late 1939.  In those days, titles coming from Fawcett were released to the public one month before the cover date.  So, Whiz Comics #2 was released to the public in early 1940.