- +

Author Topic: A Harvey's Black Cat Question  (Read 1238 times)

Offline happyhuman

• DCM Member
A Harvey's Black Cat Question
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
Hello to everyone, does anyone maybe knows why AC Comics never reprinted Harvey's Black Cat comics?

They did reprint a lot of other Harvey characters (like Captain Freedom and War Nurse). Even their character 'She Cat', who is based on Harvey's Black Cat character has a different color outfit (while they didn't really changed Nightvile/Phantom Lady custom)

The Black Cat comics seems to be in public domain - is there another reason you think they didn't reprinted such an iconic character?

Digital Comic Museum

A Harvey's Black Cat Question
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: A Harvey's Black Cat Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
One thing I can think of, Harvey maintained the Black Cat longer than any other character. They kept the original run going into the 1950's, with a lot of reprints. (Before changing the format to horror.) Then, in the early 1960's they did a few 25 cent issues of Black Cat reprints, or mostly so. Plus the Harvey family again published the character around 20 years ago.

Without research and firm legal advice, I'd be real careful with that character.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 01:05:34 AM »
Actually, they aren't in PD.  The Harvey family seems to have kept the copyright on them, and published reprint editions of BC in the 90's.  Also a one-shot revival comic by Evanier and Anderson.  OK?

Offline Jean-Luc

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:32:54 AM »

Offline happyhuman

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
Thank you all for the answers.

It's still strange to me that while the character first appearance and her own series is in the Public Domain and yet the character and her PD stories are not in use.

I mean, her Harvey comics are here, in this website and trademark should not be an issue, like DC's Captain Marvel.

It just make me wonder why that is? even Dynamite and Image didn't use the character and Image had that 'next issue project' that they did and in their Speed Comics issue Black Cat did not appear while she should have been

Its very strange