developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Announcing a Very Special new scan now on DCM - our thanks to RUPPS COMICS!  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner15-Detective-Dan-Special.gif

:D ;D
Hi Gang,
DCM is Super thrilled to be able to share this very rare, expensive and historically important comic with everyone out there.
I like to consider myself somewhat informed on comics history and I admit I'd never heard of this comic before Rangerhouse alerted me we had been allowed to scan it by RUPPS COMICS of Fremont, OH.
A quick look on Google and I got very excited!

A quick history lesson was needed so I added that at the end of the scan in a 2pg introduction I made.

Here is the bullet form of it -
  • Published in 1933, this rare, historical issue was the very first comic book to appear on newsstands that contained all new, original artwork centred on a single theme.
  • Detective Dan was created, written and drawn by Norman Marsh, and the 10x13" comic book was a one-shot single issue.
  • This comic would inspire the creation of the first non-costumed version of a Superman comic - never published and destroyed by Joe Shuster when eventually rejected by the same publisher as Det Dan.  Five years later a redesigned Superman would pop up in a little comic called Action Comics #1.
  • Det Dan would last the one issue before returning as Dan Dunn in a newspaper strip which was also used in Dell's Famous Funnies #10,13,16-26; The Funnies #1-5,7,9,11,17 and Crackajack Funnies #1-25,29-35.

A HUGE thank-you to RUPPS COMICS for allowing Rangerhouse and DCM to preserve such a rare and expensive comic for posterity. 
Truly this is why DCM was started to save books such as these and provide them to as wide an audience as possible before they were lost for all time.  We hope this might be the first of many such collaborations in the future!

You can read more about Det Dan at the following links -
Don Markstein's Toonopedia
Comic Books History - Part III - By Michael Russell
More on the creation of Superman from Oh Danny Boy blog
Dan Dunn's radio show - OTRCat's entry
Two FREE episodes of the radio show on Archive.org
Marsh would do Danny Hale in the late 40s

Digital Comic Museum

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
I HAD heard of it before, Yoc.  And if I had thought we ever had a hope of getting it it probably would have gotten mentioned as one of my most wanted books before now.  This is absolutely amazing to finally see!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Ha!  That's great to hear Eric.
Brian was very excited when he first told me about it.  It sounds like the other two books might be even more rare.

Drusilla lives!

I was shocked to see this comic pop up a few days ago Yoc.  I remember reading about it many years ago in the Overstreet price guide... great to finally get a chance to actually thumb through it.  

Pretty decent artwork too for the day... perhaps Mark will eventually feature it in the CB+ reading group.

Thanks Rupps Comics.

Offline KaineZ

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Wow, very nice.  I was wondering if Detective Dan had anything to do with Dan Dunn and I see he did!

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
This indeed may be a new way of collaboration.
A collector or comic dealer getting advertised for allowing to let his books being scanned.
Good work everyone!
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Thanks everyone.  Wonderful to see people are enjoying the extra work that went into it.

This is a great goodwill gesture by Rupps to all us scan readers that could never afford or likely even find this book.  We sure hope we can get to do more things like this with them or others out there.

Three cheers to Rangerhouse for making the connection with them.
:D

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
Woohoo!!! Yes!  :D I've been curious to see this ever since I first heard about it years ago! Thank you!

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
Drusilla lives! I think that will very much be a sooner rather than later :)