- +

Author Topic: Warren Magazines on Archive.org  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Alessandro Bottero

• DCM Member
Warren Magazines on Archive.org
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »
hi all. i require your help to clarify something which puzzles me. in the summer of 2013 Archive.org started hosting a lot of Warren publications Magazines (Vampirella, Creepy, Eerie, 1984).
we all know Archive.org is a site which host public domain contents, so i was amazed to see it. as far i know Warren publications  went bankruptcy in 1985, Harris comics acquired the rights of it's library (less Famous monster of Filmland) and then Jim Warren re-acquired the rights in 1992 of the characters (less Vampirella).

since summer of 2013 no one has complained with Archive.org about the Warren Magazines, and they are still there, and everyone can download them.

Does anyone know if this is the same thing happened with Quality/DC Comics, when DC acquired the property og the characters, but the quality  books were the characters was shown were left in public domain?

what i means its: does anyone knows if the CONCRETE magazine issues are in PD, even if the characters are copyrighted?

Digital Comic Museum

Warren Magazines on Archive.org
« on: April 23, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Warren Magazines on Archive.org
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:17 AM »
Quality's past published comics are PD.  They were not renewed before they entered the public domain.
Warrens books have never been PD and do not belong on Archive.org.  I've seen more than a few comics on their site that are not PD.  I've long been suspicious of their moderation there.

Offline Alessandro Bottero

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »
you are surely right, and (i must add sadly) i had the same opinion. Still the the fact remain. A possible answer someone bought up was "after bankruptcy the rights of the single stories came back to the authors, and no one has the time or the will to start a legal dispute with archive.org"

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
Or perhaps they just don't know they are on Archive.org
I've noticed finding something there is a chore even when you know it is there.
Someone should warn their moderators and have them removed, especially if it is entire issues being shared.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
If you know what to look for, you can find DC books there, too.  There are people who either don't understand or don't care about the copyright status of a book or movie when they post it.  And while the administrators will graciously take things down where needed, the Internet Archive doesn't have a vetting process, so something's presence there shouldn't be taken as evidence of anything.