developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Mickey Mouse in Public Domain  (Read 3838 times)

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Mickey Mouse in Public Domain
« on: December 23, 2023, 01:32:08 PM »
AOL has announced Mickey Mouse is now in public domain. Will DCM be accepting uploads for this potentially huge new category?

P.S. Happy Holidays to all!

Digital Comic Museum

Mickey Mouse in Public Domain
« on: December 23, 2023, 01:32:08 PM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Mickey Mouse in Public Domain
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 02:13:23 PM »
Absolutely not.  The only Mickey Mouse material going into the public domain is that released in 1928, which doesn’t include any comics that I know of.  Once comics start entering the public domain, we will probably start including them.  Mickey Mouse Magazine (the precursor to Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories) started in 1935, so should enter the public domain starting in 2031, for instance.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 04:45:42 PM »
Here's a good article on just what Mickey entering the Public Domain does and doesn't allow:

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/mickey/

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 09:16:00 AM »
Thanks for clarification, Eric. Too bad MMouse comics will remain non-PD. Would still be great to get some early PD MM mag uploads here.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 10:38:06 AM »
Just give it a few more years, Larry.  This year is the big one, in that after this there's less reason to defend the incremental releases each further year.

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 12:19:51 AM »
I'll try to  hold up until then, Eric. I'm 88, but still going strong! Meanwhile, I've got stacks of MMouse & other Disney comics waiting to be read.

Here's hoping 2024 will be a great year for DCM uploads!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 07:57:14 AM »
Keep on Truckin' Larry!
Thanks for all your years of support.  You've been with us since the GAC days!
:D

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 02:45:35 PM »
Thanxs, Yoc. And thanks to you, to the staff, and to the many uploaders for making DCM the wonderful site that it is. It's just great that all the talent and hard work of the legion of artists and writers of these early comics and mags live again and are being preserved for the enjoyment of future generations. Yet, only my generation who read them in the '30s and '40s get that mysterious nostalgic kick when they meet again like old lost friends, certain comics at DCM! Long Live DCM!

Happy New Year to all!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 06:55:27 PM »
Well said Larry!  Couldn't have done it better.  :)
You've got the spirit the site was started with.  I'd only add in these days of speculation where everything seems to be going into plastic coffins (slabs) our chances of seeing these books scanned has been slowly slipping away.  JVJ, bless him,  did so very much for the sites allowing us to fill thousands of holes in the collection.  Talk about a hero!
Stay well Larry, we love seeing you here.

-Yoc

Offline Pannozzi

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 09:05:08 PM »
By 2026, we should start seeing the Mickey Mouse newspaper comic strips enter the PD.

Can we cover newspaper strips?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
We do have a Classic Newspaper Comic Strips section.

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=6

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2024, 11:06:33 AM »
So, a ton of various projects based on Steamboat Willie have been announced, a large number of them horror.  Most of them look desperately uninteresting to me, and in almost every case it seems it seems like the creators went "We want to do something with Mickey Mouse" without any clear idea of what they actually want to do other than use Mickey on general principles.

With that said, I've found at least one project that I'm genuinely enjoying: a new webcomic from Randy Milholland, the creator of the webcomic Something Positive and the artist/writer on the Sunday Popeye comic strip... in other words, a professional artist with experience working with legacy characters.  It's called Mousetrapped:

https://mousetrappedcomic.blog/

I'm not thrilled with the current formatting, since it's on tumblr.  So if you're just starting to read it you need to scroll to the bottom of the page and work up.

It's nice to see at least one Mickey Mouse is now Public Doman project that seems to be starting from a position of genuine love for the character, but also is trying to do something new.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2024, 07:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the link Eric.
It's gotten off to a not bad start.  I like his using non-Disney characters.  It opens up the story to lots of possibilities.
:)