- +

Author Topic: 4th Birthday Gift from CaptainDJ - APRIL FTP Access (Now Ended)  (Read 16025 times)

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
The below feature has now ended.
Thanks everyone for their support.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi all,

I am running late with the birthday present but it's better late than never.

Digital Comic Museum was 4 years old on the 28th March and this site only exists to provide it's users with free comic books with the goal to get them out to everyone and everywhere. We value every member but personally I think one group of members that go slightly unrewarded are the users who donate money to help support our little project. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have lasted 4 years. My gift for DCM Birthday is for these users.

So for this month of April every user who donates to the site will be given FTP access as an alternate method to download the files on Digital Comic Museum.

Details are as follows:
For every donation you will be given access to the FTP for a month from the donation date. Due to costs, bandwidth etc download limits will be put in place. For every $1 donated you will be given a download limit of 10GB for that month.

So lets get on to some examples....
* Bob donates $1 to DCM and for 30 days is allowed to download 10GB in total
* Jane donates $25 to DCM and for 30 days is allowed to download 250GB in total
* Barry donates $1 and then $5 at a later date. Barry is given a 10GB limit for his 30 days. When he donates again for $5 his 30 day timer is reset back to 30 days and an extra 50GB is added to his current download count.

How to get set-up:
1. Once you have donated to the site you will receive an e-mail with the FTP details, username and password. This e-mail will arrive within 5 - 10 minutes of sending the donation Note: At the moment this is a manual process on my mind so please allow 24 hours for this e-mail, thou hoping to get most turned around in 1 - 2 hours and this will be automated once everything been tested and sure it fully works.
2. Read the e-mail as this contains all important information you will require.
3. Enter these details into your FTP client and start downloading the files.

Rules / Information / Terms:
* Your donation to DCM is a donation to the site, it is not a payment for FTP access. FTP access is given as a gift to you for helping us out.
* Do not share your account details with anyone else.
* Do not be naughty or abuse the system.
* You must enjoy the comics that come from the FTP.
* This service is provided by Captain DJ and not Digital Comic Museum, any hate or problems please direct at me.
* If you do have any issues please e-mail at: admins@digitalcomicmuseum.com
* There is a user limit on the server currently so please think of others and don't stay logged in 24 / 7.
* Once you use up your download limit you will not be able to connect to site.
* Anyone found to be breaking these rules will have their access revoked.

I know over the last 4 years, users have asked for alternate means of downloading the files. If we get enough feedback and users think it is a good service / alternate method we might consider making it a more permanent feature. So please let us know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:41:33 AM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
Re: Birthday Gift from CaptainDJ - FTP Access
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:06:13 AM »
Questions

What is FTP?
FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol. As the name suggests, FTP is used to transfer files between computers.

How do I use a FTP Client?
I did consider writing my own guide but instead I am going to be lazy and ask you to take a look at the Filezilla tutorial at: https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Documentation
Filezilla is a free open source FTP client

How do I donate to the site?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php?action=treasury

Are all comic files on the FTP server?
Yes all files are on the server (or will be, a high percentage of files on on there but the upload is still taking place so over next day or two the files will be updated to 100%)

Help! I need help?
If you are having any problems please let me know via this thread, using the Contact Us feature on website or by e-mailing: admins@digitalcomicmuseum.com
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:45:42 AM by Yoc »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Birthday Gift from CaptainDJ - FTP Access
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
A very generous gift Capt!

Ok gang, some of you were asking about this just the other day.  Here's your chance!

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
Re: 4th Birthday Gift from CaptainDJ - FTP Access
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
The good news is all comics on our website are now on the FTP. The big upload finally finished.

Once a day the FTP will sync up with the website so don't expect newly uploaded files to the website to appear instantly on the FTP.

So far all users who have donated have been sent an welcome e-mail with login details. If you have not received your details please e-mail me on admin@digitalcomicmuseum.com after checking your inbox / spam folder etc.

A script for automation of FTP account creation is nearly complete so for the next day please be patient with e-mails as I have to sleep and sometimes work. I am hoping an auto script will be finished tomorrow so there will be no delay between donating and getting log in details.

Day 1 has gone VERY well and we hope everyone who has supported us is enjoying this gift, but we would still love to hear some feedback.....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:00:12 PM by Captain DJ »

Offline Fray

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »
Happy Birthday! I donated today! Thank you for your hard work!  :hug:

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »
I would like to apologise if anyone has any problems connecting today but just noticed had a bad configuration in config file which limited FTP server to 15 users at any one time. This has now been fixed and server rebooted so you should now be able to log in.

Enjoy the comics,
Captain DJ

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
Thanks Capt.
And a new banner with the FTP offer is now up as well.
:)

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:45:59 AM »
Message from one of our members who also happens to be owner / developer of Chunky Comic Reader

Message from klassobanieras
By way of a bonus birthday present for any iPad users out there, here are some freebie iTunes codes for my comic-reader 'Chunky Comic Reader'; it's got a built-in FTP browser so it's a neat way to use that FTP access, and it does a multitude of other cool things too (protip: try turning on 'auto-contrast/tint')

Claim a code from http://codehookup.com/74de01c0, then redeem it like so: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1574?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#iOSdev

They're first-come-first-served, but I'll post some more codes if these run out.

Offline edmandu

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:08 AM »
Happy Birthday! I donated and then tried out the Chunky Comic Reader app with FTP access on my iPad and it works perfectly. Thanks much for providing FTP and Chunky!!!  ;D

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Edmandu.
:)

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
Since starting on the 1st April the FTP has been used to download 815GB of files
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:17:24 PM by Captain DJ »

Offline Netasha

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Thank you sooo much Captain DJ  and all the hard working admins here at DCM for the great gift I found in my email. It will be so great to be able to DL those I need to add to my collection. 

You will not believe what happened when I downloaded the FTP and had followed the Tutorial at F'Zilla...I thought "ok .. all info downloaded and now I will just reboot my laptop and start my FTP experience all fresh"....I went and got a nice cuppa, and had myself allll ready to retrieve all those I had perviously lost last yr when my external hard-drive blew (and now I wouldnt have to bother anyone to copy their collection to a new external for me). I came back and there was no desktop on my lap...all the other lights and buttons worked but just a black screen! Dang.. what had I done now?? Well it turns out that if you keep your lap on for days (even with a lap-fan and a 2nd fan blowing over the keyboard) it can burn out your video card! So now I am sharing my room-mates until mine is fixed and picked up next Thurs. I cant download anything so it will just be a week of reading and setting up some folders in anticipation of trying out this great surprize present. I will send in some updates as to how I do (fingers, toes and eyes crossed) when I can get started on my DLs.

Tks again for the fantastic B'day gift in reverse and may there be many many more anniversaries to follow. Cheers Net.
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow. Grab on to Now!

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
The script has now been automated so "fingers crossed" you will get an e-mail within 5 minutes with your FTP details etc.

If you have already got an account you will get an e-mail with your updated bandwidth limit amount.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:07:35 AM »
Thanks for the update Capt.  Wow, that's a lot of downloading.
---
Hi Netasha,
Ouch, sorry to hear about another computer problem for you!  Fingers crossed it comes back happy and healthy and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I just sent you a PM about this before I read your post here.

Good luck with the pc and the downloads,
-Yoc

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
FTP now a week old and just hit the 1TB of comic files downloaded which is 40,822 more comic books released to the world.