- +

Author Topic: Desirable new features for DCM  (Read 9768 times)

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
Desirable new features for DCM
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Just from the top of my head...
What features DCM could install which would "make my day" (as they say).

1. Genre search

CB+ has it. Called "Select a Category". Showing you all available books in alphabetical order of a certain genre. Fun to browse. Great to see what's really out there.

2. Scanner's Hall of Fame

Well, here vanity comes into play. But I'd love to see a list of all those fabulous people who contributed to this site.
Tops would be a "counter", of course, revealing who did the most...

Don't know if this is doable in any way, but that's what I'm longing for.
Cheers!
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Digital Comic Museum

Desirable new features for DCM
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Desirable new features for DCM
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
Hi T,
I don't know if or when they might appear but I believe CB+ has the genre search feature already under 'Categories'.
For top uploaders Len would be #1 over all I expect with the JVJ Collection scanners contributions #2.  I try to thank the contributors in our birthday topics - the first one included almost everyone who has a scan on DCM - http://digitalcomicmuseum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2553.0.html

I don't know if CB+ has a way of listing scanners and how many they have uploaded.  It would be tricky as there are uploaders like Prime and Cooper that don't do their own scans but have been nice enough to find and upload many we have missed out there in the wilds of the net.

The genre search is one I'd love to see but doubt it will show up before some other things are fixed first.

-Yoc

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »

1. Genre search

CB+ has it. Called "Select a Category". Showing you all available books in alphabetical order of a certain genre. Fun to browse. Great to see what's really out there.

Not to nit-pick, but the results on CB+ miss the early anthology books, which generally have a wide variety of genres under one cover.

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »
We have just set up a rudimentary contributors section, the home page is http://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=contributors But as Yoc says it is tricky as you are not sure what part the person has played in the process ... scanner/owner/uploader?

For info Len is on 1,391 and tilliban 343 plus all the usual suspects are there

Also we do have an anthology section but at the moment it looks a bit like a dumping ground and (sigh) looks like another thing to go on the todo list http://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=anthology
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:09:31 AM by MarkWarner »

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
Also we do have an anthology section but at the moment it looks a bit like a dumping ground and (sigh) looks like another thing to go on the todo list http://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=anthology

What I meant was that, for example, if I search for "westerns", none of the anthology books with western stories in them (such as Blue Bolt Comics or Funny Pages) show-up in the results.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
Ah, I see!
The genres will miss the anthology books, that is right. I wasn’t thinking about those, to be frank.

But as Mark points out, they will be their OWN category. Which is just fine.

I quite like the anthology/mixed bag category on CB+. What’s wrong with it?

@Yoc: Ah, there’s a scanner roll call. Nice. But it’s quite outdated… (wink, wink). Am hoping for an updated version.
 ;D

Offline great daddy

• DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
Here is what I would like to see:a help wanted section,where we can post ads for help with comic-related projects.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Hi T,
I can't recall atm.  Do you recall when you did your first JVJ edit?
2011 maybe?

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »
@Yoc: I started contributing scans in the summer of 2011.
The collaboration with Jim began a bit later, in the autumn of that fateful year.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
Here is what I would like to see:a help wanted section,where we can post ads for help with comic-related projects.

I like that idea. Perhaps it could even expand to be a classifieds board were people can not only solicit for help on projects, but sell/trade books?

-Eric

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »
Hi guys,
A trade/selling area was considered but staff decided it might draw people to the site that had nothing but a desire to make a buck off us.
This is where I suggest people can use the CB+ Shameless Self-Promotion section.

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Official line: We tried a classifieds section and it wasn't very successful

Unofficial line: After 2 months NOTHING happened at all. Not ONE!!! Complete BOMB so I quietly dropped it. But I publicly admit it now :(

I was VERY surprised by this as it was in response to occasional emails and requests just like here. But not a single post!

The Shameless Self-Promotion is doing great ... people are very respectful of it ... which is really nice.

Has got me thinking though surely a classified should have worked, what went wrong?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:26 AM »
Perhaps competing with other known sites didn't work.  The CGC forums are filled with sellers and buyers.  I suspect once a site gets know for it they tend to stick to there.  But eBay sellers etc, I would have thought might use it.  Oh well...

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
Well it was more for people who email asking for books (you must get them as well) plus members collecting specific stuff.

But no takers was so strange ... BTW I know EXACTLY where you are coming from ..  fine lines between people using you to make a buck, you making a buck out of them and also letting members know about new stuff as a service. At the moment on CB+ we are hitting it just about right .. BUT fingers crossed for the future ... it really is a tricky one

Offline churnworks

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »
I understand the idea of discouraging the posts that consist SOLELY of "making a buck," with no indication that the poster has read anything about or even uses DCM or CB+. On the other hand, in the back of my mind I have a few ideas that would (I would hope) make me a buck, but would also potentially generate income for the on-line archives as well as serve to promote DCM and CB+. Is there a way to communicate with the admins BEFORE putting out a public notification?