developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Creating Two New Comic Book Fans (Using The Digital Comic Museum)  (Read 5042 times)

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
Re: Creating Two New Comic Book Fans (Using The Digital Comic Museum)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »
Looking at the collected editions has given me an idea of how I can contribute to DCM. (Sorry, too poor to offer money currently.) I can do collected editions. The way my anal reten, er, detail oriented mind works is that I could never live with just having entire issues of a particular anthology, along with all the stories I don't actually want, and have to "page" through them to find and read the stories I do want. Therefore I have created files for each individual character/series that interests me, and imported that character's stories into that file. That means I already have quite a few files that contain only that character's stories.

My criteria for putting together a collection would be that I would have to have all the GA stories in which that character ever appeared. Doing partial collections would not be my thing. Also, no offense to the folks who did the original scans, but when I read a story I go through, straighten all the pages, sometimes cropping if I deem it necessary, consistent margins all the way around, and tweak the brightness and contrast until it looks good to me. I can annotate that's been done in the comments section, however. Right off the bat I could put together collections of Jeb Rivers and The Moth.

Just got to review the DCM submission guidelines and make sure I do everything right.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:12:48 AM by Yoc »

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »
If you want to submit collections, it would be a good idea NOT to tweak the pages you upload, some scanners get upset with that activity.

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 03:56:02 AM »
Too late on that one. :( My understanding was it was okay as long as you annotated that it had been done. For instance, annotate "These pages have been straightened and had the brightness and contrast adjusted." Therefore it's clear that the This Character Complete Collection is not the ABC version, but the later tweaked XYZ version.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »
There is a small number of scanners who would object.  But if you've already done it don't worry about it.  It likely would be a more pleasant reading experience if the pages were better matched.

It's much more important that the original scanners are given a credit for their hard work.
Rangerhouse and I like to create special covers for our collections, a credits page and TOC.  I put credits on cover plates between the stories as well collected from the GCD when known.

The only other rule is if a collection equals more than 100mb in a single file to break it into two equal parts between stories or another logical place.  Our software wont allow very much more than 100mb in a single file.

GL with your archives!
-Yoc

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
If I might make a comment here:
I publish a magazine that reprints art from 100-year-old plus books and magazines. My philosophy is that I can do WHATEVER I want to the art I scan because I'm not changing the 'original'. It seems that the same logic applies here. Diablo666 isn't replacing the original scans with new versions, he's making copies and reusing them as he sees fit. Aren't we offering our comics and scans to the world to enjoy as they choose? I don't believe we should 'own' them once we've given them away, just as I don't believe I'm desecrating the art of those long-dead artist whose work I manipulate to MY purposes when I reprint it in my magazine. Just MAYBE diablo666 will do a better job than we did. And if not, so what? Our beautiful work is unchanged.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Wings came right to my mind but was afraid of the GGA. But I was thinking of the young girl they would be good for the boss.
Contact has Golden Eagle, Flamingo, Tommy Tomahawk and Black Venus all Pilot adventures

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
Hi Jim,
I agree with you all the way.  It's a very small number that might not agree.  One hand kind of thing.  To avoid any hurt feelings when making archives we've just left scans as is.  Luckily Rangerhouse does a massive amount of scanning and a large number are his own.

-Yoc

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 03:41:40 AM »
Wings came right to my mind but was afraid of the GGA. But I was thinking of the young girl they would be good for the boss.
Contact has Golden Eagle, Flamingo, Tommy Tomahawk and Black Venus all Pilot adventures

GGA?

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 03:51:06 AM »
Good Girl Art

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
I doubt whether folks who tolerate Miley Cyrus on the CMA are going to be overly sensitive to golden age comic book artists doing a few pin up poses, Narf. Times have changed and what titillates old cb fans doesn't even raise an eyebrow in the real world.

(|:{>

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »
Hi Jim,
I agree with you all the way.  It's a very small number that might not agree.  One hand kind of thing.  To avoid any hurt feelings when making archives we've just left scans as is.  Luckily Rangerhouse does a massive amount of scanning and a large number are his own.

-Yoc
I'm really pretty brutal about my opinion on this, Yoc, and the web goes to great lengths to back me up here. Once you've posted a copy of something, it's not yours anymore. Unless you created it originally and have some legal rights to invoke, get over it. If some scanners are feeling proprietary about their scans, they require education, not coddling. IM(not so)HO. Sorry, but reality isn't going away anytime soon.

(|:{>
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:58:42 AM by JVJ »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
Hi Jim.
I agree on all your points. 
The other consideration though - as you know - trying to massage a bad jpg into something better isn't easy.  Often I find the new jpg may be straightened, etc but if there are now new jpg artifacts and blurring I often choose to leave them as-is.

-Yoc

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
Re GGA. If my editor is loving Sky Girl, and finds what I told him about Torchy intriguing, obviously he is a flowering Good Girl Art aficionado.

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
BTW, the 9-year-old has started reading the origin of Captain Marvel Jr. She says she finds Captain Nazi a little frightening but is still enjoying it. I didn't tell her this, but my thoughts on that matter were, "Captain Nazi IS a little frightening. But wait until Captain Marvel shows up and scares the crap out of him. It's quite satisfying."

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 10:41:25 AM »
... I can do WHATEVER I want to the art I scan because I'm not changing the 'original'...

To which I would just add one caveat... as long as you make some attempt at noting that there was an "original" from which some of your work was inspired... not a problem with you Jim, since I believe your work is just this.  I just mention it here for completeness.