developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Creating Two New Comic Book Fans (Using The Digital Comic Museum)  (Read 5046 times)

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
My girlfriend’s 9-year old daughter, who has expressed an interest in comic books, and actually one day writing them, recently asked her Mom, “Are there any comic books with girl main characters?” As we all know, most comic books today are not, to put it mildly, particularly kid friendly so I took finding her something appropriate with a “girl main character” as a challenge. Did some research, came up with Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures In the 8th Grade. Not a long-running series, only six issues, but done for kids, with all six issues collected into one trade paperback. Her Mom bought it for her, she loved it. Carried it around with her everywhere. At one point, after all that carrying around, the pages began to come loose from the cover, she rushed up to her Mom, saying, “Fix it, Mommy!”

Also she couldn’t stop telling everyone about Superman’s cousin. She actually wrote, and began directing her sister and the neighbor girls, in a play about Supergirl. Since her little sister is blond, blue-eyed and pretty, and is already taking acting classes and loves them (whereas our budding comic book fan is brown-haired, blue-eyed and pretty and an aspiring writer) this motivated me to say, “One day the older sister will write a Supergirl movie…and her younger sister will star in it.”

Then I discovered the Digital Comic Museum, and all those old Mary Marvel comics. Unlike Supergirl: CAITEG, there is a fair amount of backstory necessary to understand Mary Marvel’s origin, especially since both Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr. show up in MM’s first appearance - she needed to know who those other characters were first. So I started her out with Captain Marvel’s first appearance in Whiz Comics #2. Then, since I wanted her to understand that this Captain Marvel guy is a big deal, one more of the later Cap stories, I chose “Crusher of Crime” from Whiz Comics #20. Right now she’s working on the 3-part introduction of Captain Marvel Jr.

Once that’s done it will be into the Mary Marvel stories. Which I dearly hope she loves.

Her mother runs off the pages in full color, then puts them in plastic sleeves, back-to-back, inside a 3-ring binder, so her daughter can have the experience of actually turning the pages in a “book” while reading her first-ever comic book stories.

Then one of my editors, to whom I’d been raving about how cool was the Digital Comic Museum, said to me, “Hey, what was the name of that website you told me about, with all the Golden Age comics? I’d like to check it out.” Of course, our reading interests are pretty different. I’m all about the superheroes, with a minor in horror, whereas he’s more a gadget freak, very into cars, very into military stuff, very into military equipment. And he likes old stuff, for instance he owns, and maintains, and drives, his own Model T Ford.

The next time I talked to him, he told me, “Hey, I checked out the Digital Comic Museum. I loved it! I downloaded a few comics from the ‘50s about Navy frogmen. Y’know, back then they didn’t call them SEALs.” The next time, it was, “I downloaded a few comics from the 50s about hotrodders. Of course they weren’t really about hot rods, it’s just the adventures of this group of friends who happen to be into hotrods.”

So I said, “Hey, there’s this obscure old series of backup stories from this thing called Crack Comics titled Spitfire. It’s not about the famous British fighter plane, this is actually an American pilot whose nickname is Spitfire because of his personality. I really enjoyed it. Does that sound like anything you’d be interested in?” He said yes, so I emailed him one Spitfire story. He loved it, so I began sending him one every weekday. I knew I’d run out of Spitfire in short order because there were never that many episodes published, so I recommended Airboy. I was a little iffy on that one, because I thought it might veer a bit too much into superhero territory for him, but he loved that, too. So for awhile I was sending him one each Airboy and Spitfire, every weekday. When I ran out of Spitfire, I segued into Sky Girl from Jumbo Comics which he absolutely LOVES.

Thusfar I’m batting 1,000 percent here.

When I run out of Airboy and Sky Girl – which will take months, thankfully these were both long-running – I’m going to transition over to Blackhawk and Torchy to continue his weekdaily daring aviator/hot–tempered sexy ditz fix.

I found it very interesting to get the impressions of a guy of middle years, who has never previously gotten into comic books, as far as what he likes about them when he eventually does. These days many folks opine that sales of comic books are down because of competition from video games, the ‘net, etc. My contention has always been that it’s a combination of few outlets, over-pricing, and the fact that the content of the vast majority of today’s comic books (a) requires a huge knowledge of backstory to understand what’s going on in any particular issue, (b) just isn’t particularly fun. So why does my editor find he’s enjoying his workdaily comic book story fix so much?

His comment was, “What comic books give me that no other form of entertainment does is brevity. I don’t want to spend weeks or months or years getting really great at a particular video game. I don’t want to commit days or weeks to reading a book. I don’t even want to spend two hours watching a movie. I just want to be entertained for half an hour. So I’ll read a couple of comic book stories.”

He’s one of those guys who likes to get to work at 7 AM, before almost anyone else, just spend time having his first cup of coffee, read email, settle in for the day before things really heat up. So these days he sits there, sipping on his first cup of coffee of the day, reading the Airboy and Skygirl stories I sent him the night before.

It’s a sad commentary on the state of the comic book industry today that, in order to find stories to engage the attentions of an intelligent 9-year-old girl, and an intelligent 56-year-old editor, I had to go back in time circa 70 years. But fortunately the Digital Comic Museum is there to make that a possibility.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:25:32 AM by diablo666 »

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Creating Two New Comic Book Fans (Using The Digital Comic Museum)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »
Hi D,
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with us.  A fun and interesting read.
I would think Blackhawk might be a good fit with your editor.  Heath draws a very realistic plane.
You also might try Canteen Kate for exceptional good girl art by Matt Baker, the best ever IMO at that kind of artwork.
You couldn't have picked better than Fawcett for kid friendly stories.  I too hope your little reader enjoys them.  There will be the odd non-P.C element though which is always a danger for GA books.  Ethnic stereotypes are common for the era and will likely need explaining.

Let us know how things go with your readers,
-Yoc

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
What a GREAT post and an amazing effort to promote DCM. You made my day. Some of those comics about Frogmen and Hot Rods no doubt originated in my collection and it's heartwarming to hear of them being welcomed into other lives.

It becomes obvious that DCM needs to create a "Daily Comic Machine" that will serve one comic story to your in-box (or printer?) based on some selection criteria. For, say, $9.99 a year you get one story per work day. It'd be just enough to accompany that first cup of coffee and would require NO investment in backstory (unless you checked the 'continuity' box). $14.99 would get you a double dose - two stories each day. Or pick more realistic numbers. It could be an app. Everything is an app these days, isn't it?

The site could eventually be self-sustainingand we might even grow a few new comics fans.

No matter. You did REAL good, D. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »
D's story was certainly heartwarming to the staff and I'm sure the scanners out there.  Knowing all the hard work is making a difference to people out there mean the world to us.

Your suggestion sounds very intriguing Jim.
Yahoo, iTunes, NetFlixs all have some kind of algorithm for suggesting other titles.  Click on a genre, artist, continuity, era, publisher and see what is suggested.
I love the idea - now who could possibly put such a thing together?  Not me for sure!

Offline mr_goldenage (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:00:58 PM »
I think Mark Warner is the type of guy who could figure out something like this.

RB @ Work
Richard D. Boucher (12.14.1955 - 4.15.2018)
Mr_Goldenage

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
What a great story

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »
Hi D,
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with us.  A fun and interesting read.
I would think Blackhawk might be a good fit with your editor.  Heath draws a very realistic plane.
You also might try Canteen Kate for exceptional good girl art by Matt Baker, the best ever IMO at that kind of artwork.
You couldn't have picked better than Fawcett for kid friendly stories.  I too hope your little reader enjoys them.  There will be the odd non-P.C element though which is always a danger for GA books.  Ethnic stereotypes are common for the era and will likely need explaining.

Let us know how things go with your readers,
-Yoc

I agree re the ethnic stereotypes. The level of venom and racial bigotry directed toward the Japanese in particular - especially in Captain Marvel Jr. stories for some reason - is pretty vile. Yes, I get that people were incredibly scared and pissed off about Pearl Harbor, but still.... "Nips." "Nippies." The scene where the World's Mightiest Boy has slaughtered, like, hundreds of Japanese military men, and, when they finally retreat, that line, "In the end, they turned out to be as yellow inside as they are outside."

Wow.

I screen out anything like that, before I give it to that sweet little girl. And my girlfriend appreciates that. She has told me, "Thank you for kind of vetting stuff for us first. She has some friends that are of Asian descent, and if she showed them those comics, they MIGHT understand the whole 'this was a different time' thing....and they might just assume that's the type of people we are."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:06:45 AM by diablo666 »

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
What a GREAT post and an amazing effort to promote DCM. You made my day. Some of those comics about Frogmen and Hot Rods no doubt originated in my collection and it's heartwarming to hear of them being welcomed into other lives.

It becomes obvious that DCM needs to create a "Daily Comic Machine" that will serve one comic story to your in-box (or printer?) based on some selection criteria. For, say, $9.99 a year you get one story per work day. It'd be just enough to accompany that first cup of coffee and would require NO investment in backstory (unless you checked the 'continuity' box). $14.99 would get you a double dose - two stories each day. Or pick more realistic numbers. It could be an app. Everything is an app these days, isn't it?

The site could eventually be self-sustainingand we might even grow a few new comics fans.

No matter. You did REAL good, D. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Thank you, Jim. Earlier today I mentioned to my editor that, after Airboy and Sky Girl are done, I will be continuing on with Blackhawk and Torchy, and he was like, "Cool!" He was genuinely pleased. I will also be taking Yoc's advice and checking out Canteen Kate. Seems that, while I thought I had gotten everything I wanted off DCM, at least for awhile, there is still more out there that I must have. :)

"Just when I thought I was out....they pulled me back IN."

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
I think that the Digital Comic Museum is a great thing. I would love to be able to contribute, and not just be a consumer, but the sad truth is that I only own one Golden Age comic (albeit it's from the tail end of the Golden Age). That's Daredevil Comics #81, and you don't need a scan of that since you've already got a superb scan of that issue from Tigger. I do own quite a bit of Silver Age Marvel, and a smaller though by no means totally contemptible amount of Silver Age DC - and since I'm a total condition freak the vast majority of it is in Near Mint condition, they would make superb scans - but then you get into those pesky "rights" issues.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:58:47 AM by diablo666 »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
No problem D.
If you ever wanted to help out with our server bill we also appreciate donations via the Donate link.
But no pressure, it's all voluntary.

The artist of Sky Girl, Matt Baker, is the master.  He did a lot of romance comic work for St.John but your editor friend might not be into those.

Enjoy the goodies!
-Yoc

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 05:30:30 AM »
Is there anything else from the Golden Age, that's not on my list of things I've already downloaded, that you consider really fine, that you'd suggest I check out? Granted that perceptions of what's "really fine" can differ between individuals, still I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:07:55 AM »
That's kind of up to individual taste, but you might want to check out some of the collected editions if you like a particular character:
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=962

Is there anything else from the Golden Age, that's not on my list of things I've already downloaded, that you consider really fine, that you'd suggest I check out? Granted that perceptions of what's "really fine" can differ between individuals, still I'm open to suggestions.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
All of this, and nobody's mentioned Wings Comics, Captain Aero, or Captain Midnight?  Tush!

Offline diablo666

• DCM Member