developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: "Team Challenge"  (Read 3396 times)

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
Re: "Team Challenge"
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
Isn't the Shark kind of over-kill as a replacement for Aquaman?  Isn't Barry Kuda a better fit--his sidekick, Algie even presages Aqualad by a couple decades.  And how can anyone be a better replacement for Wonder Woman than Moon Girl--the two were practically "separated at birth!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
OK, since I got that off my chest, here's my roster for a Quality Comics version of the original Justice Society:
Flash-Quicksilver
Hawkman-Raven
Dr. Fate-Tor, Master of Magic
Spectre-Kid Eternity
Hour-Man-Stormy Foster, the Great Defender
the Atom-Doll Man
Green Lantern-the Ray
Sandman-the Clock

Obviously, the Black Condor would have been a more popular choice for Hawkman's spot, but the Raven (Spider-Widow's sidekick) has the whole beak & wings thing going on for him that the Condor didn't.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »
And how can anyone be a better replacement for Wonder Woman than Moon Girl--the two were practically "separated at birth!

Amazona or Lady Fairplay leap to mind.

Or my favorite - Nelvana of the Northern Lights. ;-)

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
All excellent choices--I quite like Nelvana, but I'd find Lady Fairplay, that self-styled "Goddess of Chastisement" & her big honking tiara a closer WW counterpart.  But my money is still on Moon Girl, who seems to be Wonder Woman without all the B&D stuff.  In other words, the Silver Age WW.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 10:26:32 AM »
I initially read that as something "dirty". Hee hee.

Hooters. I was thinking of hooters.

... & her big honking tiara ...

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
Ok, now, how about the original Justice League if they were replaced with Golden Age Fox Features heroes:

Superman: Blue Beetle (mostly because BB was the company's biggest gun)
Batman: Black Fury
Wonder Woman: Phantom Lady (I know, I complained about other folks' choices, but this is mostly because
                                of PL's status with the company and the two heroines shared fondness for ropes...)
Aquaman: Navy Jones
the Flash: the Dart
Green Lantern: the Flame
J'Onn J'Onnz: Stardust

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »
Batman would be Green Mask
Martian Manhunter = Lun-Ar the Moon Man
Superman=Wonderman
Hawkman= Bird Man
Flash=Bouncer
Green Lantern=Dynamo
Zatanna= Sorceress of Zoom
WonderWoman=Spider Queen
Aquaman=Typhon
Atom=Stardust
Green Arrow=Rapier

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:19 AM »
I thought about Green Mask for Batman, but he seemed too super-powered (and in his Mark-2 version, was more of a Captain Marvel counterpart), and certainly Wonderman was a clear favorite for Superman (or even Wonder Woman, if you want to go there), but I really wanted to use Blue Beetle somewhere.  Bouncer was on my list for Flash, as was the Lynx, but I went with the Dart just because his name at least sounds fast.  I picked Stardust for Martian Manhunter over Lun-Ar mostly because Stardust was so darn alien, and like J'Onn, was more of a "pick any random power or gimmick per story" character--I'd love to hear the reasoning behind swapping him for the Atom, tho...

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
I too debated on going with the obvious like Wonderman for Superman and gave in. Didn't Green Mask start out without powers? If he had powers then it was a bad choice. I hunted for someone to replace the Atom. With Stardust having a wide range of powers I figured he could shrink. I did have to hunt and go obscure for some of the others. I could not find any Fox archer so went with another weapon The Rapier.

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
Both Green Mask & Blue Beetle started out without powers, but within a few issues, both had managed to pick some up, in the Mask's case, retroactively, when the Beetle started using his super-vitamins to gain super-strength, endurance, leaping, etc. powers, while the Green Mask had super-strength & out-right flight, along with the usual "nigh-invulnerable" thing.

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
What If--the Fox heroes replaced the members of Fawcett's Crime Crusaders Club?

Captain Marvel Jr.=Green Mask II
Minute Man=U.S. Jones
Bulletman= the Lynx
Bulletgirl= Blackie the Mystery Boy

I picked the Lynx & Blackie as they were the only duo I could find who could fly (at least some of the time)--Fox didn't really seem to go in for girl partners, did they?  The only one I can think of was Miss Green Mask, who had no powers.

Here's a puzzler, tho--for such a popular line of heroes, I can't seem to put together ANY line-up of Fawcett characters that approximates any line-up of other companies' super-teams, not even the "Cap's Kookie Quartet" version of the Avengers, since they lack a speedster (Quicksilver, in the Avengers case).  Am I missing something?

Offline comicsnorth

• DCM Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:48 AM »
OOps, I spoke too soon--I was so used to plugging Bulletman into the Hawkman spot in the various DC teams that I forgot he'd make a perfectly good speedster, so here's my Fawcett version of the "Cap's Kookie Quartet" Avengers line-up:

Captain America=Minute-Man
Hawkeye=Golden Arrow
Quicksilver=Bulletman
Scarlet Witch=Princess Taia (Ibis' consort)